Jump to content

Postgame thread:Bills 27 - Colts 24


YoloinOhio
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yes! With apologies to the 6,6”, wing span of a Bald Eagle #49, THIS is the way to play MLB. 
 

sorry, Tremaine 🤷‍♂️

 

If only we could combine Edmunds size/athleticism and the instincts of these rookies into some Frankenstein hybrid LB.   

  • Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, ddaryl said:

 

I honestly think 10yards shorter means the punt return guy fields it at the 20 yd with room to get up to speed.

 

 BY  booming it, it's placed at the 20 (its only 25 on kickoffs ?)

 

NOW, I do agree if it's downed anywhere inside it's better.. But as you said either way it was impressive.

If I'm a coach and we're punting from the 10 yard line, I'll take the opponent starting at their 20 everytime all day everyday and twice on Sundays!

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yes! With apologies to the 6,6”, wing span of a Bald Eagle #49, THIS is the way to play MLB. 
 

sorry, Tremaine 🤷‍♂️

My reaction watching Spector was that he wasn't very good in pass coverage, but he's a classic run-stopping MLB.  That video of him is great.  

 

And to your point, it's amazing to me that Edmunds, with his athletic ability and his speed, is unable to play the run like that.  I mean, really.  Spector isn't some kind of great natural talent.  He's just paid attention to his coaches, learned his reads, and trained himself to move his feet, stay in position, play off the blocker.   Why can't Edmunds do that?

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

 

He looks like a very instinctual player. Like how as soon as he catches the ball he twists his body forward and lowers his shoulder to brace for impact. I don't know if he has a super high ceiling but he clearly belongs on an NFL field, you can see it right away.

I noticed this during the game and on video.  Whether it's instinct or just discipline, he seems to do things the right way.  His release, his hands catching, his turns upfield.  I think people have made the Cooper Kupp comparison, and it's apt.  That's how Kupp plays.  

 

I think he'll see a lot of playing time.  

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:


Sure seems like it's becoming more common, or at least more sought after, for offensive "skill position players" to be kind of "positionless" with their skill sets and usage. TEs who run WR routes. WRs who take handoffs. RBs who spilt out wide. QBs who are short-yardage FBs. Both sides of the ball have seen more ambiguity with respect to clearly defined player positions and roles. I'm sure there's plenty of room for WRs to play both inside and outside, to motion around the formation, etc. I'd like to see more and more of this from the Bills, with the unique and well-rounded talents they have in the room. 

That's exactly WHY they have "unique and well-rounded talents" in the room.   That's very much part of how McDermott wants to play. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

My reaction watching Spector was that he wasn't very good in pass coverage, but he's a classic run-stopping MLB.  That video of him is great.  

 

And to your point, it's amazing to me that Edmunds, with his athletic ability and his speed, is unable to play the run like that.  I mean, really.  Spector isn't some kind of great natural talent.  He's just paid attention to his coaches, learned his reads, and trained himself to move his feet, stay in position, play off the blocker.   Why can't Edmunds do that?

I noticed this during the game and on video.  Whether it's instinct or just discipline, he seems to do things the right way.  His release, his hands catching, his turns upfield.  I think people have made the Cooper Kupp comparison, and it's apt.  That's how Kupp plays.  

 

I think he'll see a lot of playing time.  

Edmunds MAY do that with a better DLine in front of him. This year we will see.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lost said:

 

If only we could combine Edmunds size/athleticism and the instincts of these rookies into some Frankenstein hybrid LB.   

 

Or you would have Ray Lewis..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/14/2022 at 6:44 AM, BobbyC81 said:


Keenum tried to hit the TEs early but his throws were too high.

True - I remember the missed one to Sweeney in the end zone.  

 

Keenum did not look comfortable at all.  I think a fair amount of that is that the OL was a patch-work (being kind) and a rookie WR and ST player playing WR who were matched against many of Indy's starters.  If Keenum doesn't look a little better next week, I'll start to worry, but he has shown that he can play competently in the NFL, so too soon for me to panic on him yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

If I'm a coach and we're punting from the 10 yard line, I'll take the opponent starting at their 20 everytime all day everyday and twice on Sundays!


 

I agree but - the fear is - if the returner had started 5 yards back (and teams will learn) - that ball was 20 yards outside coverage.  
 

If the returner catches that - he has 20 yards to set up blocks and get to full speed before the nearest Bill is around.

 

The Hang time was still an issue.  I get the excitement, but it worked because the returner lined up like it was a normal punter.

 

I love the kick, but I hope he can get some better hang time to protect the return team.

 

 

 

 

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

According to reports out of camp, he can punt with good hang time.  If the returner doesn’t know what’s coming it’s to our advantage.  Returner cheats up, blast it over his head.  Backs up 10-15 yards, go for hang time.  I see it as a weapon, not cause for concern.

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, f0neguy said:

According to reports out of camp, he can punt with good hang time.  If the returner doesn’t know what’s coming it’s to our advantage.  Returner cheats up, blast it over his head.  Backs up 10-15 yards, go for hang time.  I see it as a weapon, not cause for concern.

This is exactly how I think the Bills will utilize him.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, f0neguy said:

According to reports out of camp, he can punt with good hang time.  If the returner doesn’t know what’s coming it’s to our advantage.  Returner cheats up, blast it over his head.  Backs up 10-15 yards, go for hang time.  I see it as a weapon, not cause for concern.

 

If Josh Allen's arm were a leg, the punter would be Matt Araiza. I think we are going to have to deal with some really erratic moments while he figures out how to control the thing. We will get some wow punts for sure. I am sure we run into some issues where he out kicks his coverage and there is a dangerous return. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mango said:

 

If Josh Allen's arm were a leg, the punter would be Matt Araiza. I think we are going to have to deal with some really erratic moments while he figures out how to control the thing. We will get some wow punts for sure. I am sure we run into some issues where he out kicks his coverage and there is a dangerous return. 

Recall that Bass was erratic for the first half of his rookie year.   Then the coaching and the culture took over.   I hope we see the same the same settling in with Araiza.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Recall that Bass was erratic for the first half of his rookie year.   Then the coaching and the culture took over.   I hope we see the same the same settling in with Araiza.

 

If he can figure out how max hangtime or good accuracy, he is a really dangerous weapon. The ability to flip the field 180 degrees when pinned inside your own 20 is basically a cheat code. 3 and out at your own 15? NBD, opponent starts their drive at their own 19. 

Edited by Mango
words
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...