GOP Senators block passage of act to provide benefits to toxic-exposed veterans

1 minute ago, wnyguy said:

No respect for these politicians at all.

It seems kind of short-sighted to screw over a consistent portion of your base like that just to make a political point. People are suffering physically and financially from this stuff and will continue to do so now, just so the other side didn't win too much. Scumbags.

Also GOP: Support the Troops!

5 minutes ago, wnyguy said:

If that's true they should be ashamed of themselves and be replaced in the next election.

That’s what the people who voted them into office want. That’s our countries issue now right? Half the country is proudly in eff you mode.

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Gene Frenkle said:

There is an unsurprising, yet noticeable lack of Q in this thread.

Just wait. It's coming.

INB4: The small technical amendments that required the re-vote created a slush fund for reverse vampire pedophiles

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Just wait. It's coming.

INB4: The small technical amendments that required the re-vote created a slush fund for reverse vampire pedophiles

So they're waiting for one of the conspiracy sites to tell them what to think, gotcha. Can't wait!

Sen. Pat Toomey, a Pennsylvania Republican, has been pushing for an amendment focused on the funding for the bill for several weeks, placing a hold on the legislation before the July 4 recess. He wants to change it so the funding of the bill is handled through the annual appropriations process instead of being mandatory spending as the Democrats have structured it in the bill.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/28/politics/chuck-schumer-burn-pits-vote-republican-frustration/index.html

Toomey being a jerk ,  bill should pass next week. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

They’re all scum. I’m sure everyone involved had ulterior motives and probably only a handful actually care about veterans at all. 

Also wtf makes this cost 280 billion dollars?

3.5 million vets exposed to toxins…I am sure you probably think that’s too much to spend on those vets though

7 minutes ago, TH3 said:

3.5 million vets exposed to toxins…I am sure you probably think that’s too much to spend on those vets though

What’s it buying? A Ferrari for each one? I’m just asking what cost drivers are. I know, I know… sheep don’t think it’s permissible to question that sort of stuff. 

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

They’re all scum. I’m sure everyone involved had ulterior motives and probably only a handful actually care about veterans at all. 

The pork they jam into every bill.

8 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

What’s it buying? A Ferrari for each one? I’m just asking what cost drivers are. I know, I know… sheep don’t think it’s permissible to question that sort of stuff. 

It's not really that complicated, 3.5 million veterans so if treatment costs $1000 for each one that's 3.5 Billion, if it's $10,000 that's 35 Billion, $100,000 would be 350 Billion. All that's ignoring whatever costs there are setting the whole thing up and processing it.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, TH3 said:

The GOP flipped on this as soon as Manchin green lighted the climate tax bill. As one GOP analyst admitted…they just could not stomach the DEMS having any success….so eff the vets. That is all there is to it.

That's really the only way I read it.  Republicans will use pork spending as the rationale although they passed the exact same bill in June 84-14.  The House changed just added a minor revision on awarding tax credits if VA healthcare providers move to high-need locations.  There's no pork in the bill.  All of it goes to veterans who suffered from toxic exposures during their service.  Republicans misplayed this politically and some veterans may suffer because of it.  Pathetic.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Warcodered said:

It's not really that complicated, 3.5 million veterans so if treatment costs $1000 for each one that's 3.5 Billion, if it's $10,000 that's 35 Billion, $100,000 would be 350 Billion. All that's ignoring whatever costs there are setting the whole thing up and processing it.

it isn’t complicated to deal with a base ten number system and orders of magnitude. But this third grade math exercise still hasn’t explained what this Money is buying unless it’s just buying money, or hundred thousand dollar average treatment cost is a known standard of care… 

14 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

Bingo. GOP Senators were ok with the marriage bill and the PACT Act only on the condition that the Dems didn't do a reconciliation bill.

The Dems managed to get a proposal for a reconciliation bill, so now the GOP senators are going to tank two unrelated bills.

More importantly, what are we going to do with the birthing persons reproductive health care rights?  What a mess. 

If the similar bill passed a month ago to fund vets why not just go back to that one? The funding question is legitimate but the Republicans should absolutely put forward the bill to make the proper funding available to our vets 

14 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The bill is projected to increase federal spending by about $283 billion over 10 years and does not include offsetting spending cuts or tax increases to help pay for it.

https://kesq.com/news/2022/07/29/congressman-raul-ruiz-outraged-after-senate-blocks-burn-pits-bill/