The Worlds Number 1 Sport

Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

On 7/15/2022 at 10:30 PM, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Was talking with someone today and commented how Soccer has always been considered the worlds #1 sport.  Got me thinking, is that still the case or has basketball taken over?  30 to 40 years ago the world centered around the Americas and Europe.  Now Asia and even Australia paint a much wider swath and not sure soccer has as large of the following there.  Even in Europe basketball seems to be much more popular than in the past.

No wait, soccer is simply huge.

• 2 months later...
On 7/15/2022 at 10:59 PM, SinceThe70s said:

IMO, the World Cup soccer tournament makes soccer the #1 global sport. No other sport that I can think of has an equivalent global championship with mass interest across so many countries.  

Cricket is way higher up the list than people realize and I believe it has a World Cup as well.

11 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Cricket is way higher up the list than people realize and I believe it has a World Cup as well.

Cricket has 2 world cups and a world championship. Due to there being 3 different formats played at international level.

Its the National sport in India and Pakistan. Almost a religion in Asia full stop.

On 10/3/2022 at 12:56 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yes.  And also because the world is impoverished. You only need a foot and a ball. 😉 😜 

And not even a ball.  My nephew works for a special effect company based in Singapore and one of the special effects he did was a bunch of guys who were annimated into a ball in his first movie.  I think it was Shaolin Soccer.

On 10/2/2022 at 2:37 PM, Nextmanup said:

Soccer is by FAR the most popular sport on the planet.

There was a comedian years ago who was ripping on soccer. He couldn't understand why it was so popular. He had the perfect line when describing the sport. He said "If I want to watch 3 straight hours of no scoring I will just go the club with my single friends and watch them hit on women".

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.