Jump to content

Bills minicamp Day 1 &2 observations: James Cook flashes in pass game


Recommended Posts

On 6/16/2022 at 3:13 PM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Anyone know why this guy is “Flipping” out?

 

 

 

or 

Anyone know why this guy is?!

Looked like our WR coach. Drawing a blank on his name at the moment but 95% sure it's him

On 6/16/2022 at 4:54 PM, Limeaid said:

 

If a player is being put on IR and does not believe he should be on it he can bring documentation from another doctor and get a hearing with NFL.

I highly doubt we would draft a player that would do this. They could, but Shakir has a place on this team. If they talk to him let him know that, but he's g2 show it consistently and get coached up for first half the season I think he'd play along

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

It's pretty obvious by now the Bills don't go out looking for the big WR. They've signed enough little-ish guys by now that they have a type, and it's smurfs


Our outside guys are 6 footers and Shakir is too…but yeah a lot of slot sized guys

  • Disagree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/14/2022 at 7:42 PM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Bills minicamp Day 1 observations: James Cook flashes in pass game
 

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2022/06/buffalo-bills-minicamp-day-1-observations-james-cook-flashes-in-pass-game-jordan-poyer-practices-in-full.html
 

 

Jordan Poyer practices in full
 


 

 

 

 

MORE! I Require MORE! lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

There will be outside packages for Cook, but that doesn’t mean he’s going to take the ball up the middle.  That will remain Singletary’s job.

 

Shakir barring injuries will have a tough time getting on the field.  He has stiff competition, and it’s not like McKenzie’s going to willingly relinquish the third receiver role, or Crowder.  I just don’t see him moving up from 5th until injuries happen which are inevitable.  He has a real opportunity to get ST action and may shine there his rookie year.


People every year think McKenzie is going to have a role then barely sees the field all year.  So I think once again people are over estimating how many snaps McKenzie will get.  And I think Shakir will end the season with the 4th most touches at WR and not too far behind Crowder.  Next year, he will fully take over for Crowder and be the full time starting slot WR.  

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:


People every year think McKenzie is going to have a role then barely sees the field all year.  So I think once again people are over estimating how many snaps McKenzie will get.  And I think Shakir will end the season with the 4th most touches at WR and not too far behind Crowder.  Next year, he will fully take over for Crowder and be the full time starting slot WR.  


That an awful lot to expect out of a 5th round pick right out of the gate.

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, njbuff said:


That an awful lot to expect out of a 5th round pick right out of the gate.


He was a guy who could have gone much earlier too.  5th round, 1st round…none of it matters anymore.  Once they hit the field that’s it.  Gabriel Davis made a significant impact as a 4th rounder year 1.  Bills have lots of guys who were mid round picks or later who ended up contributing early.  
 

And I didn’t set the bar that high, I said he would have the 4th most touches out of the WR group, that’s a reasonable expectation.  Which means he’s probably 5th or 6th in receptions on the team with Knox and Cook getting their share too.
 

So for me, draft slots mean nothing anymore, it’s what role they will play.  And I think he will be WR 4 this year essentially, playing that Gabe Davis role when we had 3 guys ahead of him.  
 

McKenzie’s production this year will be similar or worse than last year, just too many mouths to feed now.

 

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There seemed to be a lot of discussion of Tavon Austin earlier in this thread, so I thought I would post this here:

 

I haven't really followed Tavon Austin's career since his first few seasons, so I looked up his stats to try and get a better picture. This isn't meant as an anti-Tavon post (though the stats might make it look that way), I would love to see him make the team and contribute this season. I was more trying to figure out where and how he might be used/why the Bills brought him on/the reality of him making the 53, etc. I assumed (like most) that it was to return kicks. But, the question is can he still be effective enough there? And/or did they have something else in mind?

 

So, here are some info/stats for assessment:

 

He is 32 years old (does he still have the speed he used to?)

He is not a kickoff returner. In 9 seasons, he has only returned 25 kickoffs (and 18 of those were in his rookie year...so, only 7 KO returns total in the last 8 seasons).

So, he has specifically been a punt returner/backup WR/gadget guy over his career.

 

In his first four years, if you combined total yards from scrimmage (rush/rec) and return yards, he averaged 1,080 yards and almost 6 TDs per year.

In his last five seasons, combined scrimmage and return yards, he only averaged 243 yards and 1 TD/year (granted, two of those seasons he missed a lot of time due to injury---he has missed 27 games over the last 4 years due to injury).

 

In his first 4 years, he had 146 punt returns for an average of 8.7 yards per and almost 1 TD per season.

In his last 5 years, he has had 44 punt returns for an average of 4.8 yards per and no TDs.

 

First 4 years he averaged 411 receiving yards, 242 rushing yards, with 20 total offensive TDs.

His last 5 years, he has averaged 119 yards receiving, 79 yards rushing, with 6 total offensive TDs.

 

His first 5 years in the league, he was used out of the backfield a lot, gaining 1,238 yards and 9 TDs rushing.

 

I'm not sure of all the circumstances he faced over the last five seasons, injuries, strength of special teams he played for, opportunities, etc. But, just looking at the stats, it is hard to see him completely reverting to his earlier form. So, if he makes the 53, I assume it will be for one or all of the following reasons.

 

1. They just want a smart, sure-handed punt returner and aren't too concerned about how many yards he can get per or if he can still break one. They just want security there without having to put a starter in that position (Micah). Maybe they couldn't find anyone better/more experienced than Tavon in FA.

 

2. He is here as that veteran mentor that McDermott likes to have, to coach up some of the young guys (Stevenson, Shakir, etc.) on punt return. Show them how it's done.

 

3. He fits the mold of that versatile, gadget guy. We now have a number of players (McKenzie, Cook, Shakir, Austin) that can all rush out of the backfield, run jet sweeps, run receiving routes, etc. Maybe Dorsey has something new/special in mind with these types of players. And again, Tavon could be here both as injury insurance for that role, and again, to help bring the young guys along in that type of role.

 

So, he seems to be security/insurance and mentor to me. Whether that is enough for a spot on the 53, we'll have to wait and see.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

You say that, and I do like him…. But why is our secondary coach the passing game coordinator?

 

Am i the only person that finds that weird with a rookie OC?

It might be genius. For real .

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

There will be outside packages for Cook, but that doesn’t mean he’s going to take the ball up the middle.  That will remain Singletary’s job.

 

Shakir barring injuries will have a tough time getting on the field.  He has stiff competition, and it’s not like McKenzie’s going to willingly relinquish the third receiver role, or Crowder.  I just don’t see him moving up from 5th until injuries happen which are inevitable.  He has a real opportunity to get ST action and may shine there his rookie year.

They will find packages for him. How soon ? Not sure
But you can mark my words Kelly , he will see time on offense 😃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3/12, I don’t disagree, but he will have to work his way into the lineup was my point.  McD has a history of taking a few games to trust a guy.  As far as McaKenzie, he made an impact late especially against the Pats.  Him dropping returns a couple of times put him in the doghouse.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

3/12, I don’t disagree, but he will have to work his way into the lineup was my point.  McD has a history of taking a few games to trust a guy.  As far as McaKenzie, he made an impact late especially against the Pats.  Him dropping returns a couple of times put him in the doghouse.

Oh we agree on both points. Somewhere i had mentioned it might be midseason before he gets on the field, But he will :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:


He was a guy who could have gone much earlier too.  5th round, 1st round…none of it matters anymore.  Once they hit the field that’s it.  Gabriel Davis made a significant impact as a 4th rounder year 1.  Bills have lots of guys who were mid round picks or later who ended up contributing early.  
 

And I didn’t set the bar that high, I said he would have the 4th most touches out of the WR group, that’s a reasonable expectation.  Which means he’s probably 5th or 6th in receptions on the team with Knox and Cook getting their share too.
 

So for me, draft slots mean nothing anymore, it’s what role they will play.  And I think he will be WR 4 this year essentially, playing that Gabe Davis role when we had 3 guys ahead of him.  
 

McKenzie’s production this year will be similar or worse than last year, just too many mouths to feed now.

 


I hope your right. The more weapons the better.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

It might be genius. For real .

They will find packages for him. How soon ? Not sure
But you can mark my words Kelly , he will see time on offense 😃

He's not the offensive passing game coordinator LOL

 

He's the defensive passing game coordinator.. I can't believe people think that still

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He's not the offensive passing game coordinator LOL

 

He's the defensive passing game coordinator.. I can't believe people think that still

I know. I was just breaking blss

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Because it's a way to stash players you don't want to cut

 

It's "a way" as you say. But it isn't a good way if you REALLY want to keep the player. Shakir would be gone in a heartbeat. If you really want to keep him, he has to be  "injured".  PUP or IR

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Diggs

Davis

Crowder

McKenzie

Austin

Shakir

Kumerow or Hodgins

 

pretty clear WR depth chart in my opinion

 

hopefully one of Austin, Shakir or both have a good enough camp to warrant being rotated in on different formations.

 

James Cook will likely be moved out wide half a dozen plays per game too

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:


People every year think McKenzie is going to have a role then barely sees the field all year.  So I think once again people are over estimating how many snaps McKenzie will get.  And I think Shakir will end the season with the 4th most touches at WR and not too far behind Crowder.  Next year, he will fully take over for Crowder and be the full time starting slot WR.  

 

True. On the flip side every year people predict McKenzie will be cut. That's not happening either. Lil Dirty will have a role on the 2022 and I believe it will be an even bigger role than last 

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Dean said:

 

True. On the flip side every year people predict McKenzie will be cut. That's not happening either. Lil Dirty will have a role on the 2022 and I believe it will be an even bigger role than last 

 

 

Agree.  Lil Dirty will be WR4 and probably get around 25-30% offensive snaps.  More if Crowder is injured/nicked up.

One other thing about McKenzie is his high catch %.  50 catches on 60 targets the last 2 years.

He needs to be tested a little more than previous years to show his true worth.

Everyone should know they did give him a 2 year deal this time around.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2022 at 4:40 PM, IronMaidenBills said:

If it was Davis had 4 TDs, the narrative would be he’s going to destroy the league this year and everyone would be clapping for it. I’m just giving credit where credit is due. 

I mean, why didn’t Shakir have 4 TDs, afterall it’s basically meaningless and everyone should be doing it. Right? 

Thank you Mrs. Austin.

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2022 at 8:01 PM, MJS said:

He has to get cut to be put on the practice squad. Another team would sign him for sure.

148th drafted players sometimes don't make the cut.

On 6/15/2022 at 9:27 PM, ScottLaw said:

The dudes a scrub… I’ll be somewhat surprised(and alarmed) if he makes the roster…. 

Common man, it's too early to backtrack. Lucky to make the roster and somewhat surprised and alarmed don't mesh. Stick to your guns.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...