Jump to content

Deshaun Watson admits under oath that Ashley Solis cried at the end of the massage


Recommended Posts

On 7/18/2022 at 10:43 PM, GunnerBill said:

 

I am not saying the NFLPA would succeed. I am saying that they have an arguable case. And the NFL has definitely been claiming since it revamped its disciplinary process that its word is final (essentially that the courts are ousted) and it simply isn't true.

 

It is a high bar for the NFLPA to prove to a court that the NFL hasn't.... but if they can get into the door and get the court to hear the case even that in itself undermines what the NFL has been claiming. 

I expect that the primary reason for the NFLPA to pursue a likely losing case in Federal court is to simultaneously file for an injunction to allow Watson to play during the pendency of the appeal.

 

The argument would be that if punishment is ultimately meted out, he will still be able to serve it later.  He is young and has a couple hundred million reasons to serve it.  Later.  But as a young athlete who has already missed so much time, and who has not re-offended, he should be allowed to play Now.

  • Dislike 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, StHustle said:


Wow…gotta love the Browns! They missed out on a chance to have Russell Wilson or Josh Allen for a one and done contract with Mayfield. Life would be so different for us if their front office at the time was anywhere near as competent as ours!

 

But they have that analytics guy!!

 

2 hours ago, maddenboy said:

I expect that the primary reason for the NFLPA to pursue a likely losing case in Federal court is to simultaneously file for an injunction to allow Watson to play during the pendency of the appeal.

 

The argument would be that if punishment is ultimately meted out, he will still be able to serve it later.  He is young and has a couple hundred million reasons to serve it.  Later.  But as a young athlete who has already missed so much time, and who has not re-offended, he should be allowed to play Now.

 

I don't see how that injunction would ever be granted.  When Brady took his case to the 2nd Circuit, he lost with a 3 judge panel.  When he asked for en banc review , they completely blew him off.  

 

The federal court has little reason to side with the NFLPA and they haven't in the past.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

 

But they have that analytics guy!!

 


John Dorsey was the GM for the Browns at the time.  He’s a “football guy” not an “analytics guy”.  You might remember him as he was the KC GM who traded with the Bills the previous year in order to draft Mahomes. 

Edited by BarleyNY
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, muppy said:

I hope that when the NFL's final decision comes in the OP begins a new thread. This has drug out too long already come on NFL. This limbo is annoying.

Could be in a late Friday news dump today.  Sue Robinson said 2-3 weeks for a decision. Today would be the only Friday to fall in that range. 

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:


John Dorsey was the GM for the Browns at the time.  He’s a “football guy” not an “analytics guy”.  You might remember him as he was the KC GM who traded with the Bills the previous year in order to draft Mahomes. 

 

He was but he was basically a Doug Whaley level lame duck. Veach and Reid was the brain trust running the show. Dorsey and the team "parted ways" a couple of months after that draft. That is the irony on that trade. The GMs on both ends of the phone were never going to be in a position to enjoy the fruits of that deal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:


John Dorsey was the GM for the Browns at the time.  He’s a “football guy” not an “analytics guy”.  You might remember him as he was the KC GM who traded with the Bills the previous year in order to draft Mahomes. 

 

Nope.  Depodesta was and is the analytics guy.  Mr. "Moneyball".

 

a football doofus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

 

He was but he was basically a Doug Whaley level lame duck. Veach and Reid was the brain trust running the show. Dorsey and the team "parted ways" a couple of months after that draft. That is the irony on that trade. The GMs on both ends of the phone were never going to be in a position to enjoy the fruits of that deal. 

Meh. I do not agree. There was certainly a power struggle emerging in KC, which he lost. But he still had control of the draft. Had Mahomes started that season he might’ve won that battle. 

  • Disagree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Meh. I do not agree. There was certainly a power struggle emerging in KC, which he lost. But he still had control of the draft. Had Mahomes started that season he might’ve won that battle. 

 

Nah Mahomes was Veach's boy. He had been on him for 3 years. Dorsey's power had eroded by that draft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

 

Nope.  Depodesta was and is the analytics guy.  Mr. "Moneyball".

 

a football doofus.

Depo didn’t get his choice of GM or HC until this time around with Berry and Stefanski.  He wanted Stefanski last time around and McDermott the time before. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Depo wasn’t making the final decision on QBs. 

 

Analytics guys don't make decisions. 

 

They give input.  Looks like not much weight is given to it over at the Browns.

 

I wonder if he recommended, based on his data driven analysis, giving Watson a completely guaranteed contract, not even knowing his status.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

 

Analytics guys don't make decisions. 

 

They give input.  Looks like not much weight is given to it over at the Browns.

 

I wonder if he recommended, based on his data driven analysis, giving Watson a completely guaranteed contract, not even knowing his status.

 

 


Decision makers use analytics to varying degrees. I doubt Dorsey took direction from Depo on the Mayfield selection. As for Watson, the situation seems pretty clear. The Browns thought they had a roster that was ready to compete for SB except they didn’t have confidence in Mayfield and they didn’t want to pay him a market value contract.  So they went out and did what they needed to do to get a QB they could win a SB with. They tried to get Wilson first but no dice as he would not waive his no trade clause for them.  So they went after Watson.

 

Moving on from Mayfield rather than paying him certainly looks analytics driven. So it was either have him play out his option year and draft a rookie in 2023 or push their chips in with Watson.  They went for it.

Edited by BarleyNY
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:


Decision makers use analytics to varying degrees. I doubt Dorsey took direction from Depo on the Mayfield selection. As for Watson, the situation seems pretty clear. The Browns thought they had a roster that was ready to compete for SB except they didn’t have confidence in Mayfield and they didn’t want to pay him a market value contract.  So they went out and did what they needed to do to get a QB they could win a SB with. They tried to get Wilson first but no dice as he would not waive his no trade clause for them.  So they went after Watson.

 

Moving on from Mayfield rather than paying him certainly looks analytics driven. So it was either have him play out his option year and draft a rookie in 2023 or push their chips in with Watson.  They went for it.

 

 

 

How many playoff wins for Watson?  Why guarantee his whole contract?  

 

That team Week 1 with Watson may not even the 2nd best team in the Division.  They will compete for a WC spot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2022 at 4:17 AM, maddenboy said:

I expect that the primary reason for the NFLPA to pursue a likely losing case in Federal court is to simultaneously file for an injunction to allow Watson to play during the pendency of the appeal.

 

The argument would be that if punishment is ultimately meted out, he will still be able to serve it later.  He is young and has a couple hundred million reasons to serve it.  Later.  But as a young athlete who has already missed so much time, and who has not re-offended, he should be allowed to play Now.

He's a sexual predator who "re-offended" countless times before he got caught. He shouldn't be able to play another down in the NFL ever. That's not going to happen. He'll get a suspension for a certain amount of games, I'm sure.

 

This is going to follow him for the rest of his life, as it should.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

 

 

 

How many playoff wins for Watson?  Why guarantee his whole contract?  

 

That team Week 1 with Watson may not even the 2nd best team in the Division.  They will compete for a WC spot.

Sure seems like fully guaranteeing the deal for all 5 seasons was necessary to get him to chose the Browns over the other teams trying to trade for him. Typical guarantees in such a contract would make the player uncuttable for at least 3 seasons. So the Browns upped that to all 5 to get the deal done.

 

Watson had one playoff win, which is exactly the same as Josh Allen had before he got paid. Obviously that’s not nearly as important as their play on the field. Both got paid after blossoming into a top QB in the league. The last year Watson played he was a top 3 QB in the league. His on field ability puts him close to, if not on par with Allen and Mahomes.

 

What is your point about the AFCN? It is a damn tough division. Pittsburgh is the fourth best team in it and they’d have a shot at being the second best in the AFCE. But shouldn’t the Browns try to compete? If Watson doesn’t miss many games they have as good a chance of winning the division as Cincy and Baltimore do. 

  • Disagree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Sure seems like fully guaranteeing the deal for all 5 seasons was necessary to get him to chose the Browns over the other teams trying to trade for him. Typical guarantees in such a contract would make the player uncuttable for at least 3 seasons. So the Browns upped that to all 5 to get the deal done.

 

Watson had one playoff win, which is exactly the same as Josh Allen had before he got paid. Obviously that’s not nearly as important as their play on the field. Both got paid after blossoming into a top QB in the league. The last year Watson played he was a top 3 QB in the league. His on field ability puts him close to, if not on par with Allen and Mahomes.

 

What is your point about the AFCN? It is a damn tough division. Pittsburgh is the fourth best team in it and they’d have a shot at being the second best in the AFCE. But shouldn’t the Browns try to compete? If Watson doesn’t miss many games they have as good a chance of winning the division as Cincy and Baltimore do. 


The point is, If Depodesta is whispering to Haslam that the Browns are just a Watson away from being “a SB contender”, then his analytical skills are below average.  
 

The Bills paid less and didn’t have to guarantee all of it to get rising star.  Browns got a guy at his peak who decided to hold his last team hostage for a year (after recently signing a huge contract with them).
 

Watson better than Mayfield, but he’s not close to Mahomes and Allen. And The Browns roster isn’t close to the Bills or Chiefs.  Bengals either. 

 

If fully guaranteed contracts were needed to get top trades (recall the other cost paid for Watson) to happen, they would be commonplace.  Obviously they aren’t.  

Edited by Mr. WEO
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:


The point is, If Depodesta is whispering to Haslam that the Browns are just a Watson away from being “a SB contender”, then his analytical skills are below average.  
 

The Bills paid less and didn’t have to guarantee all of it to get rising star.  Browns got a guy at his peak who decided to hold his last team hostage for a year (after recently signing a huge contract with them).
 

Watson better than Mayfield, but he’s not close to Mahomes and Allen. And The Browns roster isn’t close to the Bills or Chiefs.  Bengals either. 

 

If fully guaranteed contracts were needed to get top trades (recall the other cost paid for Watson) to happen, they would be commonplace.  Obviously they aren’t.  

That is not Depodesta’s job. Do you have anything beyond wild speculation to think that he was the driving force behind the Watson acquisition?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...