Rd 5, Pick 148 (5): WR Khalil Shakir, Boise St

YoloinOhio

13 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea…. I don’t really see the speed on the tape… looks like he’s got great hands though.

Same. How he plays reminds me a little of Hunter Renfrow for some reason. 

• Like (+1) 1

I remember watching him run the gauntlet at the combine and was like "who is this guy", smooth catcher reminded me of how Cooper Kupp was at the combine.  I know small sample size, but just what I remember.  After that I watched his tape and thought that this kid is going to be good.  We'll see.  Fun pick. 

On 5/1/2022 at 7:05 AM, YoloinOhio said:

I watched a lot of Khalil shakir last night and I know who he reminds me of. Robert Woods. 

edit: I see I’m not the first one to say this!

He's a good bit faster.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Back2Buff said:

For what this team needs, outside WR with speed, I like Stevenson better and I think one or the other makes the team.

Perhaps. From last year, which of course, he may improve upon, Stevenson was very fast at finding the oncoming kick coverage and running right into it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

His write up on NFL.com is something else: 

A coach's dream, combining competitive nature, exciting versatility and elite character on and off the field. For a short-armed player with average explosiveness, Shakir puts an emphatic stamp on games. He's more football player than prototypical slot receiver and needs to prove he can handle an increase in contested catches. He can be activated from a variety of alignments with the vision, wiggle and toughness to move the chains once the ball is in his hands. He finds a way to frequently show up on the notepad when watching tape and his will to outperform the guy across from him should not be overlooked. Shakir should become a valuable piece for a creative play-caller.

Impressive stuff. 

Wow.  That's McDermott's kind of guy.  

I've wondered whether this guy actually is a punt returner.  It looks from the stats like he did it only part time.   But from the write-up, above, I'd day he's McDermott's punt returner.  Why?   Because that is the description of a guy who will keep the ball secure first, and then try to do something with it.  

21 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

For what this team needs, outside WR with speed, I like Stevenson better and I think one or the other makes the team.

We'll see what a year's experience does for Stevenson.  He has to make a jump.   I agree about his speed. 

However, Beane took him in the sixth or seventh and never talked about him as anything more than potential.  He took Shakir at the top of the fifth and said he would have taken him in the fourth if he still had the pick.  Then when I read the NFL.com paragraph, above, I conclude that Shakir already has the inside track.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Wow.  That's McDermott's kind of guy.  

I've wondered whether this guy actually is a punt returner.  It looks from the stats like he did it only part time.   But from the write-up, above, I'd day he's McDermott's punt returner.  Why?   Because that is the description of a guy who will keep the ball secure first, and then try to do something with it.  

We'll see what a year's experience does for Stevenson.  He has to make a jump.   I agree about his speed. 

However, Beane took him in the sixth or seventh and never talked about him as anything more than potential.  He took Shakir at the top of the fifth and said he would have taken him in the fourth if he still had the pick.  Then when I read the NFL.com paragraph, above, I conclude that Shakir already has the inside track.  

Stevenson was drafted 55 picks after Khalil, in a much deeper WR class overall, and after a terrible COVID year for Houston.  It was a mess with getting games in.

Stevenson showed more in preseason than I think most were expecting.  This lead to him retaining a spot on team, and eventually getting some games in.

None of that happens last year if he was nothing but potential.  He has legit skill this team needs back.  This team needs outside speed in the worst way.

After watching Shakir highlights all morning, I’m not understanding why he dropped to the 5th round. I’ve read he has short arms, average explosiveness, and some trouble with dropped passes.

I don’t know. I watch him play and I don’t see that stuff. He looks like a quick, fast, tough runner with great RAC ability, high level competitiveness, and highlight reel catching ability.

Im not saying he’s the perfect player. Obviously he must have legitimate flaws to have fallen to the fifth, but…I also think scouts and GMs overthink things sometimes. This guy was really productive at Boise St in 2021. He averaged something like 120 all purpose yards per game, and over 70% of his catches went for a first down or touchdown. On top of all that, he can be Gameday active as a rookie because he’ll be the punt returner, so you can get him on the field early here and there while he learns.

Coming to this WR room and learning from guys like Diggs, McKenzie, and even Crowder — not to mention Chad Hall — is gonna do wonders for this kid.

I’ll say it again: I think a lot of teams made a mistake letting Shakir fall this far. He’s gonna be a big part of the Bills offense by 2023. If anyone’s job is endangered long term by Shakir’s addition, it’s McKenzie. 

• Like (+1) 5

Beane was on One Bills Live this morning and said that had they still had pick 130, they would have picked Shakir.  So they ended up getting the guys they wanted anyway.  He also said that Shakir's drops were concentration issues which can be corrected..

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Stevenson was drafted 55 picks after Khalil, in a much deeper WR class overall, and after a terrible COVID year for Houston.  It was a mess with getting games in.

Stevenson showed more in preseason than I think most were expecting.  This lead to him retaining a spot on team, and eventually getting some games in.

None of that happens last year if he was nothing but potential.  He has legit skill this team needs back.  This team needs outside speed in the worst way.

Worst way?  Well, let's temper that just a bit. Yes, more outside speed would help this offense be even MORE explosive. But let's not pretend the Bills offensive won't be just fine with their current speed. 

17 minutes ago, Logic said:

After watching Shakir highlights all morning, I’m not understanding why he dropped to the 5th round. I’ve read he has short arms, average explosiveness, and some trouble with dropped passes.

I don’t know. I watch him play and I don’t see that stuff. He looks like a quick, fast, tough runner with great RAC ability, high level competitiveness, and highlight reel catching ability.

I agree with your overall assessment. But highlight videos don't typically show drops or bad plays. 

3 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

I think your assessment, and recollection of Stevenson's contributions to the '21 season are a bit selective.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Beane was on One Bills Live this morning and said that had they still had pick 130, they would have picked Shakir.  So they ended up getting the guys they wanted anyway.  He also said that Shakir's drops were concentration issues which can be corrected..

Another thing he said is he can envision Shakir being the 4th WR on the roster, being the next guy up on the outside or inside. So he doesn't view him as strictly a slot guy.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

I think your assessment, and recollection of Stevenson's contributions to the '21 season are a bit selective.

What did I say that was selective?  He performed well in preseason and got in some games during the season.  Not sure what else could be said.

2 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Dawson Knox concurs.  

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

What did I say that was selective?  He performed well in preseason and got in some games during the season.  Not sure what else could be said.

By selective, I mean that you're omitting some obvious flaws in his performance during the season.

To my eyes, Stevenson was hesitant in both returns, and RAC, (but especially returns) which allowed defenders to get leverage on him that essentially negated his speed. I can't remember a single play where he was able to use his speed to break into the open field, and really turn on the burners. If they retained Stevenson to utilize his speed, he didn't deliver. JMO.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Another thing he said is he can envision Shakir being the 4th WR on the roster, being the next guy up on the outside or inside. So he doesn't view him as strictly a slot guy.

Yes.  They'll treat him like they treated Gabe Davis initially.  Should be good for his development.

25 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

By selective, I mean that you're omitting some obvious flaws in his performance during the season.

To my eyes, Stevenson was hesitant in both returns, and RAC, (but especially returns) which allowed defenders to get leverage on him that essentially negated his speed. I can't remember a single play where he was able to use his speed to break into the open field, and really turn on the burners. If they retained Stevenson to utilize his speed, he didn't deliver. JMO.

Huh?  Not even sure he got any offensive snaps other than preseason, where he showed his acceleration.

I don't care about his return ability.  Mckenzie can do the returns.  If Stevenson is able to provide what he did in preseason, this is exactly what this team needs. 

4 hours ago, Logic said:

Well, I didn't watch them all morning, but I watched some in the past few days, and I get the lack of explosiveness part. It looks to me like he doesn't get his top end speed quickly.   I kept looking at his 40 time and looking at the video, and I couldn't put the two together. 

You know how they say some guys have football speed, they play faster than they time?   I concluded that Shakir is a bit of the opposite.  

I'm not sure it matters all that much.  He looks plenty fast enough to me to be a legitimate deep threat.   

I've been in and out of this thread, and what has me excited is his intelligence and apparent extreme coachability.   If that's who he is, then he should play, because receivers generally get open on smarts and precise route running, not blazing speed.  

Shakir-Elam footraces in training camp should be fun.  And throw in Cook.  

54 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I agree that Stevenson didn't show a lot.  And for me, I was pretty much done with him after he fumbled on a return.  He was out there only because the Bills had lost confidence in McKenzie, and still he wasn't able to focus on holding onto the ball.  It's not fatal, but it certainly didn't help.  I said in this thread or elsewhere that Stevenson may benefit by a second year in more normal OTAs and training camp, but I'm guessing that Shakir is likely to take his job.   Stevenson may have him marginally on speed and quickness, but Shakir is going to win on brains, effectiveness, and consistency.   Just my take. 

As Logic says, if he wins the punt returning job against Stevenson and McKenzie, he'll be on the active roster, and he'll get occasional reps on the offense as he earns them throughout the season.  If he wins the punt returning job, Stevenson likely is toast.   Or, more likely, he gets poached off the practice squad.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.