Marvel shows and movies thread

Just Jack

On 7/6/2022 at 2:34 PM, BillsFan4 said:

I started watching all the marvel movies on Disney + last year (just for all the bass in the action scenes, explosions, etc) when I upgraded my home theater system and bought this beast ⬇️ (18” PSA subwoofer. The picture doesn’t do it’s size Justice. It comes up almost to my hips when I stand next to it and I’m 6’1”)

So far I’ve watched phase 1 + 2 of the marvel timeline on Disney and all of phase 3 except for Avengers end game. That’s up next.

Stop after "End Game". It's a good place to finish the universe.

Phase 4 has been mediocre to awful. The plan for Phase 5 doesn't look much better.

Current Marvel is doing their best to emulate the "Star Wars" model of alienating their core fans. They're actively copying the stories from the comics that got those series' canceled; Iron Heart, Lady-Thor, America Chavez...

I can see Phase 5 bombing, putting Phase 6 in jeopardy.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I did see the new Avatar movie recently. I definitely recommend going for the 3D effect it is SPECTACULAR

I will say that I did not realize that when hubby asked if I was interested in seeing it I was signing up for a LONG  2 1/2 hour basically a war movie 😲

The visuals were great so it worked out. But it usually is not my fav genre.

m

Marvel Phase 4 has generally been aimless and I'm kind of out on Marvel as a result. I'm a big Oscar Isaac fan and I just couldn't enjoy Moon Knight, it's just not my cup of tea. The Boys on amazon I had high hopes for but I think I'm too old now to "get it" since it's so over the top crude.  

21 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Marvel Phase 4 has generally been aimless and I'm kind of out on Marvel as a result. I'm a big Oscar Isaac fan and I just couldn't enjoy Moon Knight, it's just not my cup of tea. The Boys on amazon I had high hopes for but I think I'm too old now to "get it" since it's so over the top crude.  

The Boys definitely went way over the top this season.  It was always pretty gruesome in the first two season, but it at least felt like it fit in with the story and the show.  This season, they were clearly doing things just to see if they could get away with them.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 months later...

I just can't get into the new phase crap. It's been horrible so far. I haven't been able to finish the new Black Panther movie, I could barely get through one episode of Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk looked so HORRIBLE in the trailers... I never bothered starting it. The last Thor movie was PAINFUL to get through. I mean, painful. 

I'll still watch the Ant-Man, Guardians and the Spider-Man movies, seeing Daredevil in the last one made me so damn excited. I so hope Disney doesn't screw Charlie Cox's character. I can't wait for The Punisher with Jon Bernthal to come back. Netflix made masterpieces with Daredevil, The Punisher and Jessica Jones (season 1). I even liked Luke Cage (season 1). 

Some of the Disney+ shows they have come out with, aside from Loki, Moon Knight and WandaVision, have been pretty awful IMO. 

• Agree 1

I know it's a big thing in comic books, but I really wish they hadn't gone with this kid teams approach for the movies.  It worked with Spiderman mostly because that's an iconic character, but also because he was the only "kid" superhero at that point.  Now every single movie seems to have one.  If they're going to have a bunch of kids fighting Kang in their next Avengers movie, it's going to suck.

Guardians next month is probably the last hope for a while for a movie that isn't packed full of superhero kids.

• 1 month later...

Just went to see Guardians. Loved it!!! Not as good as #1 (is that even possible????) but soooo much better than #2.

I also actually really liked the new Ant-man.

Pretty much every other Marvel movie since Endgame has sucked., though. And honestly, even Endgame was bleh. I think Infinity War was the climax.

Still interested to see where the franchise goes, though.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Just went to see Guardians. Loved it!!! Not as good as #1 (is that even possible????) but soooo much better than #2.

I also actually really liked the new Ant-man.

Pretty much every other Marvel movie since Endgame has sucked., though. And honestly, even Endgame was bleh. I think Infinity War was the climax.

Still interested to see where the franchise goes, though.

I enjoyed Guardians 3 too. And I concur with your assessment about the post-Endgame films. It's been a bit of a struggle to stay motivated to continue with the franchise. As such, we're yet to watch Ant-Man 3 and even Wakanda Forever. 

Also, way behind with anything on Disney +. We stopped watching Loki two episodes in and haven't watched any of the series being served up since. Are any worth watching? Secret Invasion looks more up our street from the trailer. 

8 hours ago, BritBill said:

I enjoyed Guardians 3 too. And I concur with your assessment about the post-Endgame films. It's been a bit of a struggle to stay motivated to continue with the franchise. As such, we're yet to watch Ant-Man 3 and even Wakanda Forever. 

Also, way behind with anything on Disney +. We stopped watching Loki two episodes in and haven't watched any of the series being served up since. Are any worth watching? Secret Invasion looks more up our street from the trailer. 

Don’t give up on Loki, it gets better as it goes on. 

Hawkeye was good, as was Ms Marvel.

Moonknight was a good character with a confusing story.

She-Hulk was so-so with distracting CGI.

Werewolf by Night made no sense other than to introduce more characters.

Wakanda Forever was worth watching for their interpretation of Namor, but was otherwise weak without a strong male lead.

32 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

Don’t give up on Loki, it gets better as it goes on. 

Hawkeye was good, as was Ms Marvel.

Moonknight was a good character with a confusing story.

She-Hulk was so-so with distracting CGI.

Werewolf by Night made no sense other than to introduce more characters.

Wakanda Forever was worth watching for their interpretation of Namor, but was otherwise weak without a strong male lead.

tried to watch she hulk but felt like some sort of ally mcbeal girlie girl crap

wakanda forever is hard to follow because it's literally sooooo dark. i can't stand that about that series - the lighting is terrible! my old eyes miss some of that stuff and it brought down end game for the same reason in some of the battle scenes.

moonknight was fun. punisher was like john wick. hawkeye and ms marvel were fun. 

haven't seen new guardians yet

11 hours ago, BritBill said:

Loki is my favorite Marvel show. Can't wait til the new season comes out.

Liked every Marvel show except for She-Hulk, actually. I never did watch that "What If" series, though. Seemed pretty pointless.

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Loki is my favorite Marvel show. Can't wait til the new season comes out.

Liked every Marvel show except for She-Hulk, actually. I never did watch that "What If" series, though. Seemed pretty pointless.

What if was a fun little show, in one episode Thanos is on the Guardians crew, he keeps talking about wiping out half of humanity and they all laugh at him.  

• 1 month later...

Guardians 3 was the best of Marvel anything after Endgame.

WandaVision is #2, but it took 3 episodes to get good, then they ruined it when Multiverse of Madness came out.

Loki is #3, but it set off the "Multiverse" which audiences seem to be having problems accepting.

The rest range from Okay (Moonknight) to horrible (she-hulk) and can be skipped altogether.

Haven't watched Secret Invasion yet.

The Marvels will probably lose money.

Edited by unbillievable

Guardians 3 almost broke me. In part it's my favorite MCU. I hated Antman 3 as it was horrible CGI and more of an action movie, sad really as adored the 1st two of the series. WandaVision and the Loki series were fun. Yet honestly too many movies to follow. 

Edited by The Jokeman

On 7/21/2023 at 2:20 PM, unbillievable said:

Guardians 3 was the best of Marvel anything after Endgame.

WandaVision is #2, but it took 3 episodes to get good, then they ruined it when Multiverse of Madness came out.

Loki is #3, but it set off the "Multiverse" which audiences seem to be having problems accepting.

The rest range from Okay (Moonknight) to horrible (she-hulk) and can be skipped altogether.

Haven't watched Secret Invasion yet.

The Marvels will probably lose money.

There are a wide variety of interests and tastes on shows....

Moonknight was OK, to me maybe a bit below average.

She-Hulk was certainly not award winning writing, but I enjoyed it...it was 'entertaining'.

Falcon and Winter soldier isn't a favorite of many people, and got middling reviews, but I thought it was one of the best Disney,Marvel series I have ever seen.

WandaVision?  I watched one episode, half of the 2nd and it felt so 'cheezy' to me I almost felt embarrassed to watch it. Awful in my opinion.

Loki was good. Not great, but good.

We've given up on the movies...I'm not sure if it was one of the Thor movies or a series of 2 or 3 that were actually bad in our opinions, we are pretty much done with any marvel movie up to this point.

5 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

There are a wide variety of interests and tastes on shows....

Moonknight was OK, to me maybe a bit below average.

She-Hulk was certainly not award winning writing, but I enjoyed it...it was 'entertaining'.

Falcon and Winter soldier isn't a favorite of many people, and got middling reviews, but I thought it was one of the best Disney,Marvel series I have ever seen.

WandaVision?  I watched one episode, half of the 2nd and it felt so 'cheezy' to me I almost felt embarrassed to watch it. Awful in my opinion.

Loki was good. Not great, but good.

We've given up on the movies...I'm not sure if it was one of the Thor movies or a series of 2 or 3 that were actually bad in our opinions, we are pretty much done with any marvel movie up to this point.

Wanda-vision starts out awful, gets interesting, then ends great. Really have to power thru the first 2 episodes, unfortunately you can't skip it because there is a payoff later.  Getting people to NOT turn it off early is difficult because it's so weird/confusing, but most like it once they understand what's happening.

Falcon was boring. She-Hulk was trash from beginning to end, can't convince me otherwise.

Guardians is a good ending to their Trilogy. It's a must-see if you're a fan of the previous two.

• 8 months later...