Drew Rosenhaus says there’s more bombshell trades coming.

Tipster19

https://brobible.com/sports/article/drew-rosenhaus-says-more-bombshell-trades-coming-nfl-offseason/

Who knows what he’s referring to but previous to this I was wondering if Baker Mayfield to the Dolphins was going to be a possibility. Reason being is after the Tyreek Hill trade it made me scratch my head. The Dolphins haven’t exactly embraced Tua since the draft and having a speed demon like Hill the Dolphins better have somebody be able to get him the ball, the long ball at that. Tua never struck me as being that kind of guy.

I believe that the Browns wouldn’t be looking for a lot of compensation for Mayfield. A couple of aspects stand out, the first is the guaranteed money this year, 18.8M to be exact. Also the locker room distraction would not be conducive to the Browns’ goals. 

As far as Miami goes they would have a year with Mayfield, who should be highly motivated this year and they would not have to be married to either QB as well. The Dolphins in turn could possibly turn to the Panthers as a trade partner for Tua, who with McCaffrey on the roster Tua would only be required to be a level or two above being a game manager, which he would be better suited for. Another possibility would involve the Bucs. All this trade talk about Brady is still not going away. Somehow some way maybe the Bucs would be willing to give up Brady for some big compensation and take on Mayfield. Supposedly Arians is a fan of Mayfield but the big compensation could be the biggest hurdle here especially after what Miami had to cough up for Hill.

Bottom line I do tend to believe that there is something out there still pending. Where there’s smoke there’s fire and in some way Rosenhaus is involved. He is the agent for Hill, Carolina’s WR DJ Moore and in addition has very strong ties in Miami. A 3 team trade of some sorts? 

This off season should still be very interesting. Any thoughts or speculations on what might still play out before the season begins?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Why would any team trade for that contract when they know the Browns have to release him and they can get a much more favorable one?

The obvious answer is to guarantee his acquisition. If there is more than one team interested, then a release would give the asset some control of where he goes. Giving up assets eliminates that uncertainty. Obviously

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

The obvious answer is to guarantee his acquisition. If there is more than one team interested, then a release would give the asset some control of where he goes. Giving up assets eliminates that uncertainty. Obviously

giphy.gif

No team is taking that contract when they can wait for him to be released, unless the Browns eat a large chunk of it.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

No team is taking that contract when they can wait for him to be released, unless the Browns eat a large chunk of it.

Not necessarily. Does depend what his market it. If it is a 1 team market I agree they'd wait. If multiple teams are in on him then why wouldn't they trade a late round throwaway pick to get at the head of the queue? While the contract number is big it is a 1 year deal. If teams keep being willing to take on Carson Wentz's number when he is a burning hot trash can I would imagine someone would be willing to pay Baker 1 year, $18m. 

Nobody is giving up major assets for him. But a day 3 pick I could see. 

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There are still some dominoes left to fall…Mayfield and Garoppolo will both be moved…the only question is where and for how much…I have absolutely no idea.

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not necessarily. Does depend what his market it. If it is a 1 team market I agree they'd wait. If multiple teams are in on him then why wouldn't they trade a late round throwaway pick to get at the head of the queue? While the contract number is big it is a 1 year deal. If teams keep being willing to take on Carson Wentz's number when he is a burning hot trash can I would imagine someone would be willing to pay Baker 1 year, $18m. 

The Bills got the first pick in the third round for Tyrod Taylor and the Colts got even more than that for Carson Wentz, who’s even worse…I think the Browns might be able to get a second for Mayfield.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

43 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Lots of ways this could play out.  If two teams are interested (say the Lions and Seahawks) they could create a bidding war and the Browns could get a pick for him.  If there's less interest the Browns can package a pick with Mayfield assuming the team he's traded to eats his salary.  The Browns can also eat a large chunk of his salary in a trade like you said.  The Browns also could wait until a starting QB goes down in training camp on another team and get something for him then.  Finally, they could just rip the band aid off and cut him eating his salary for a year.

Is baker mayfield to the dolphins a “bombshell”?

1 hour ago, mannc said:

There are still some dominoes left to fall…Mayfield and Garoppolo will both be moved…the only question is where and for how much…I have absolutely no idea.

The Bills got the first pick in the third round for Tyrod Taylor and the Colts got even more than that for Carson Wentz, who’s even worse…I think the Browns might be able to get a second for Mayfield.

As others have said.  You have to consider the contract and the player not just the player.   If someone is desperate to get him then they might be willing to take it.  Not clear that is the case. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Lots of ways this could play out.  If two teams are interested (say the Lions and Seahawks) they could create a bidding war and the Browns could get a pick for him.  If there's less interest the Browns can package a pick with Mayfield assuming the team he's traded to eats his salary.  The Browns can also eat a large chunk of his salary in a trade like you said.  The Browns also could wait until a starting QB goes down in training camp on another team and get something for him then.  Finally, they could just rip the band aid off and cut him eating his salary for a year.

If a team trades for him the salary goes with him.  It's not an option.  That is why if the Bills trade Edmunds it opens $12.5 M in cap space immediately.  There is no prorated signing bonus money to apply to the cap either.  

The Browns can't eat salary in a trade. NFL trades don't work that way.  

And if they cut him, the Browns won't pay his full guaranteed salary either.  Assuming he signs with another team,  Baker will still get his fully guaranteed 5th year option.  The team that signs him pays him a salary, and the Browns are on the hook for the remainder of his 5th year option.   

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Maybe I'm in the minority. An 18 million contract for Baker doesn't seem absurd to me. The QB market salaries have continued to sky rocket. Back up QBs are getting paid well. Last year Dalton got 10 million and T. Hill got 12 million. Tribisky get 14 million to 27 million for 2 years. Mariota, Bridgewater, Jimmy G, etc...

Sure, I think 18 mil is a little too step but i think a talent deprived QB team will be willing to pay that price. Baker isn't elite or very good. However, he's serviceable, a little better than average, and experienced. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

If a team trades for him the salary goes with him.  It's not an option.  That is why if the Bills trade Edmunds it opens $12.5 M in cap space immediately.  There is no prorated signing bonus money to apply to the cap either.  

The Browns can't eat salary in a trade. NFL trades don't work that way.  

And if they cut him, the Browns won't pay his full guaranteed salary either.  Assuming he signs with another team,  Baker will still get his fully guaranteed 5th year option.  The team that signs him pays him a salary, and the Browns are on the hook for the remainder of his 5th year option.   

I believe you're incorrect here.  The Browns can eat a portion of Baker's salary next year in a trade.  For example, the Panthers paid 7 million of Bridgewater's 10 million dollar contract last year when they traded him to the Broncos who paid the remaining 3 million.

You're right in that if they cut him and he's signed they save about a million dollars in dead cap (they'll pay him 17.7 million of his 18.8 million salary).

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I believe you're incorrect here.  The Browns can eat a portion of Baker's salary next year in a trade.  For example, the Panthers paid 7 million of Bridgewater's 10 million dollar contract last year when they traded him to the Broncos who paid the remaining 3 million.

You're right in that if they cut him and he's signed they save about a million dollars in dead cap (they'll pay him 17.7 million of his 18.8 million salary).

It is different when you are talking about players on a 5th year option which Baker and Tremaine Edmunds are. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

No.  It's not.

It is. You can't restructure an option year. It is non-negotiable. You have to extend the deal. So the only way Cleveland could do it is to extend Baker and then trade him (and why would Baker do that?). They can't just move money from salary to bonus in the way that the Panthers did with Bridgewater before trading him. 

Edited by GunnerBill

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Then Browns would still have to pay Mayfield his whole contract if they released him.  No way are they doing that.  It would make far more sense for them to wait for a trade partner and pick up part of his salary if they even have to do that. 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is. You can't restructure an option year. It is non-negotiable. You have to extend the deal. So the only way Cleveland could do it is to extend Baker and then trade him (and why would Baker do that?). They can't just move money from salary to bonus in the way that the Panthers did with Bridgewater before trading him. 

It would be better for Mayfield to be traded rather than sit inactive for a season.  He could agree to convert part of his salary to a signing bonus.  The Browns would pay that and his new team would pay his remaining salary.  Seems straight forward and better for all parties. 

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

It would be better for Mayfield to be traded rather than sit inactive for a season.  He could agree to convert part of his salary to a signing bonus.  The Browns would pay that and his new team would pay his remaining salary.  Seems straight forward and better for all parties. 

He couldn't. 5th year option rules forbid it. It cannot include any bonus money. It is all salary and 100% guaranteed. It goes where the player goes. The only way out of that is to actually extend the contract. And why would Baker do that? Because at the moment he is guaranteed $18m this year, he gets a go at FA next year and in reality the Browns cannot keep him on the roster as a malcontent. So he might get released, paid his $18m and then become a FA this spring as well. 

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He couldn't. 5th year option rules forbid it. It cannot include any bonus money. It is all salary and 100% guaranteed. It goes where the player goes. The only way out of that is to actually extend the contract. And why would Baker do that? Because at the moment he is guaranteed $18m this year, he gets a go at FA next year and in reality the Browns cannot keep him on the roster as a malcontent. So he might get released, paid his $18m and then become a FA this spring as well. 

I know that’s not correct.  I think you’re mixing up some of the rules for franchise tags.  And even if it was, then the team could just extend the contract using void years.

5th year options are fully guaranteed, but the contract can be altered (unlike the franchise tag after a certain date).  Allen’s was altered.  It wasn’t just extended, but the salary in his his fifth year option year was reduced substantially.  Obviously he got a big signing bonus before then, but that’s not substantially different than what I was talking about with Mayfield.

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.