Buffalo Bills are reportedly interested in DE Chandler Jones

BuffaloBills1998

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He has built a roster that can bring home Lombardi’s lol.  There isn’t only one team and roster per year that’s good enough to win it.  The Bills along with about 5 other teams have Super Bowl rosters.

So then why haven’t we won Lombardis if that is the case? Player execution? Scheme/Strategy? If our roster is truly top 5 in talent acquisition, who is to blame for our failure to win the Lombardi? Coaching? Someone has to take the fall, because not winning a Lombardi is failure whether we finish last or 2nd place. 

35 minutes ago, H2o said:

This signing makes too much sense to me. I also wouldn't mind a cheap re-signing of Shaq Lawson. Our DE's would then be Jones, Rousseau, Expensesa, Lawson, and Basham. That's a solid group. Go out and draft a Jordan Davis (R1) or Travis Jones (R2), then take a guy like Logan Hall in the 5th. This defensive line will be hard to handle the next 2 or 3 years.  

If Beane is serious about a championship, moves like this HAVE to be made.  Problem is, can he clear the cap space to do it?  

30 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

So then why haven’t we won Lombardis if that is the case? Player execution? Scheme/Strategy? If our roster is truly top 5 in talent acquisition, who is to blame for our failure to win the Lombardi? Coaching? Someone has to take the fall, because not winning a Lombardi is failure whether we finish last or 2nd place. 

This year it was coaching in crunch time. I think thats been covered pretty well over the last couple months.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Is this really that hard?  

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This year it was coaching in crunch time. I think thats been covered pretty well over the last couple months.

The only NFL team last year that was good enough to win a Super Bowl was the Rams. The other 31 teams were all just pretenders.

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So if this correct. Where would you gauge our level of roster talent? 5th, 4th, etc? And how are you exactly gauging that statistically? Positional statistical quartiles weighted based on positional importance? 
Then how long do we stick with our coaches if talent acquisition isn’t the issue? 

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Is this really that hard?  

No, but I want to try and squeeze out subjectivity as much as possible. How should we exactly gauge coaching performances and who should we hire if talent acquisition isn’t holding this team back from winning Super Bowls. Because that is the goal right? If you were to rank coaching performance, where would you rank McDermott , 8th, 5th, etc? 

8 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

No, but I want to try and squeeze out subjectivity as much as possible. How should we exactly gauge coaching performances and who should we hire if talent acquisition isn’t holding this team back from winning Super Bowls. Because that is the goal right? If you were to rank coaching performance, where would you rank McDermott , 8th, 5th, etc? 

You can’t take out subjectivity in a something that is basically 100% subjective.

Its like saying “squeeze all subjectivity out…who is the most beautiful girl in the world?”

Sports isn’t linear.  

There are 32 teams trying to win it all.  For the teams that are contenders, hundreds of reasons why they didn’t and not all of it was because it was a failure.  Sometimes the other team was just better that day.  Tom Brady won 7 Super Bowls….does that mean he was a failure in the other seasons?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You can’t take out subjectivity in a something that is basically 100% subjective.

Its like saying “squeeze all subjectivity out…who is the most beautiful girl in the world?”

Sports isn’t linear.  

There are 32 teams trying to win it all.  For the teams that are contenders, hundreds of reasons why they didn’t and not all of it was because it was a failure.  Sometimes the other team was just better that day.  Tom Brady won 7 Super Bowls….does that mean he was a failure in the other seasons?

Yup.

Plenty of people won't hear that though. One of the most powerful human logical failures is the desperate urge to find a chump to blame for failures and to then scream about how stupid he is.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, IronMaidenBills said:

So if this correct. Where would you gauge our level of roster talent? 5th, 4th, etc? And how are you exactly gauging that statistically? Positional statistical quartiles weighted based on positional importance? 
Then how long do we stick with our coaches if talent acquisition isn’t the issue? 

You sir, have gone off the deep end.  Scripts may help.  What does Yolo’s (or anyone else’s) opinion on our talent level have to do with us turning this around

”how exactly are you gauging that statistically”……… is this a real question that you actually want him to answer?  

“Positional statistical quarterlies weighted based on positional importance”…… cmon man. 

“how should we exactly gauge coaching performance and who we should hire”

you/we shouldn’t do any of this stuff.  Why?  Because you/we are on the couch and have no influence on anything.  Like the Rock says “IT DOESN’T MATTER WHAT YOU THINK!!!”.  

Having zero Lombardis has taken a toll on me as well…..maybe you should try meditation or yoga

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Why do people want to trade for McCaffrey?  He’s missed huge chunks of the last 2 seasons, playing in only 10 of a possible 33 games.   Until he shows durability again, I’d stay away from him.

Its obviously a gamble. If he shows durability again hes a top 10 player in the NFL. 

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

If irrationality weren't a factor, you'd be capable of seeing that what you have there isn't "just reality." And not an especially believable opinion.

This questionable opinion you have is directly opposed to our GM, and yet you still are so absolutely convinced that you're right and he's wrong that you bring in the always dumb "blinders" thing.

They made  him captain. Three years running. They say they love him. They guarantee him $12.3M by picking up the option. They have a really good defense three years running with him at MLB. This week Beane says that Edmunds is "definitely" a "long-term building block moving forward" for this team. They have more information than you do about what he's worth to this team by a factor of probably hundreds.

And yet you know more than them. Sorry, man, the idea that it's "just reality" is untrue on the face of it. It's an opinion. One that is directly opposed by the people who know best.

Opinions, we all have them. And the fact that Edmunds is on a guaranteed $12.7M/yr contract when that money can be better applied towards a pass rusher like Chandler Jones is my opinion. Edmunds isn’t worth that sort of coin, especially when we’re up against the cap. You don’t have to agree. You also don’t have to go on these “Edmunds is great! Our GM says so!” crusades all the time someone disagrees with you. It’s like you take it personally when a poster doesn’t believe he’s deserving of his salary or hype and you accuse the poster of “hate,” it’s ridiculous.

If and when Edmunds is signed by another team I won’t even tag you to throw it in your face, because I don’t care that much. Here’s a newsflash for you: everything our GM says is not gospel. But I think you know that already… except when it involves Edmunds. Continue to tell me how he takes away the middle of the field and how QBs are scared to throw his way because his coverage skills are akin to Deion Sanders. I actually left your name out the last time I referenced this phrase and just called you “a poster” because I didn’t want to embarrass you. Now I don’t care. Your irrationality is laughable.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I actually place some of the blame on the QBs for this. Elite QBs need to learn that maxing out your contracts hurts the teams ability to surround yourself with talent required to win championships. I like Allen, and I’m incredibly thankful he’s on our team, but it wouldn’t hurt him to take 10 million less a year to help attract more talent. If I was an NFL QB, that is what I would do. If you can’t manage to be financially successful with 30 vs 40 million a year, then you have problems. Allen must understand that if he can’t win Super Bowls by himself with slightly above average talent, then he needs to shallow his pride and do whatever it takes to bring one home to the city of Buffalo and it’s great fans. 

That's what Brady did. He took less money so the overall team was better and went on to win 7 superbowls

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Coaching for the most part.

We all saw what happened that KC game.

If MCD doesn't piss himself, they win that game and probably the SB.

Now I am not saying McDermott is a bad coach, as overall I think he's a good coach.

But he definitely had massive inexcusable blunders the last 13 seconds

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Opinions, we all have them. And the fact that Edmunds is on a guaranteed $12.7M/yr contract when that money can be better applied towards a pass rusher like Chandler Jones is my opinion. Edmunds isn’t worth that sort of coin, especially when we’re up against the cap. You don’t have to agree. You also don’t have to go on these “Edmunds is great! Our GM says so!” crusades all the time someone disagrees with you. It’s like you take it personally when a poster doesn’t believe he’s deserving of his salary or hype and you accuse the poster of “hate,” it’s ridiculous.

If and when Edmunds is signed by another team I won’t even tag you to throw it in your face, because I don’t care that much. Here’s a newsflash for you: everything our GM says is not gospel. But I think you know that already… except when it involves Edmunds. Continue to tell me how he takes away the middle of the field and how QBs are scared to throw his way because his coverage skills are akin to Deion Sanders. I actually left your name out the last time I referenced this phrase and just called you “a poster” because I didn’t want to embarrass you. Now I don’t care. Your irrationality is laughable.

It’s a chandler jones thread. I’m tired of hearing edmunds talk in every thread. This isn’t even a released LB thread. Usually this starts with a post saying edmunds should be gone (see page 1 of this thread). 

26 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I just can’t stop laughing at the OP trying to argue to take subjectivity out of this discussion but then every argument he has is subjective.  WTF.

Objective data comes from verifiable measurements. We should be gathering the best objective football data we can and forming some kind of overall talent evaluation on a team. 
Objective data collection on coaching decisions and strategies is a bit harder. You would probably have to incorporate some kind of probability formulations based on pre snap looks and best statistical outcomes against said matchups. You would likely need a huge machine learning platform and feed thousands of images to determine the theoretical best counter attacks to choose from according to your player personnel performance qualities. 

• Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Objective data comes from verifiable measurements. We should be gathering the best objective football data we can and forming some kind of overall talent evaluation on a team. 
Objective data collection on coaching decisions and strategies is a bit harder. You would probably have to incorporate some kind of probability formulations based on pre snap looks and best statistical outcomes against said matchups. You would likely need a huge machine learning platform and feed thousands of images to determine the theoretical best counter attacks to choose from according to your player personnel performance qualities. 

Dude….wtf

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

It’s a chandler jones thread. I’m tired of hearing edmunds talk in every thread. This isn’t even a released LB thread. Usually this starts with a post saying edmunds should be gone (see page 1 of this thread). 

I referenced Edmunds because I think it’s the one exorbitant contract (where the player has value to other teams) that the Bills could get out of and apply towards a legitimate threat like Jones. It wasn’t an intention to hijack the thread and make it about Edmunds and the subsequent posts never went there. I hear you though, it’s a topic discussed ad nauseam.

16 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Coaching for the most part.

We all saw what happened that KC game.

If MCD doesn't piss himself, they win that game and probably the SB.

Now I am not saying McDermott is a bad coach, as overall I think he's a good coach.

But he definitely had massive inexcusable blunders the last 13 seconds

Chandler Jones would be a great addition. McDermott is the reason we will not win a Super Bowl while he is coaching this team. His game management skills are on par with a pee wee football Coach. He has none. His team building is top notch.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1