Buffalo Bills are reportedly interested in DE Chandler Jones

BuffaloBills1998

3 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

It seems everyone is ignoring this fairly telling piece.

Jones has repeatedly said he wants to play in a scheme appropriate to his skills.

This means Bills fans should be asking what scheme(s) he ideally fits in and which scheme(s) he doesn't. Some clues would be who drafted him? What scheme did they run? What did the Cards play last year and did he seem happy in it?

To oversimplify it, is he a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 DE???

What do the Bills run???

Alexander worked out fine.

3 hours ago, Process said:

I wonder if McDermott would change his tune on using a rotation if we were to sign an elite end like Jones. I already hate the rotation.... if we signed Jones and I watched McDermott sub him out for AJ 50% of the snaps I'd be furious. 

"Jones would certainly slot in at starting defensive end opposite Greg Rousseau, but he’s consistently played more than 84% of his team’s snaps on defense. In Buffalo, he would get more of a breather than that, as the Bills love to rotate. Jerry Hughes led all defensive ends on the Bills at just under 52% of the snaps a year ago."

McD has given more snaps to players that are good. Check his line numbers from Carolina. There were guys there over 70% of the snaps.  He needs to be able to trust there won’t be a drop

off. I think Ed gets this treatment next year. 

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

It seems everyone is ignoring this fairly telling piece.

Jones has repeatedly said he wants to play in a scheme appropriate to his skills.

This means Bills fans should be asking what scheme(s) he ideally fits in and which scheme(s) he doesn't. Some clues would be who drafted him? What scheme did they run? What did the Cards play last year and did he seem happy in it?

To oversimplify it, is he a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 DE???

What do the Bills run???

I think he’s pretty much said he’d prefer to play in a different scheme than he played in New England and Arizona.  With that said, I don’t claim to know enough about defensive scheme to say whether Buffalo is better suited to his liking or not.

4 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Would love to have Jones in a Bill uniform for next year and maye be 1 or 2 after that.  I didn't know he was from the WNY area.  Would also love to see Calais Campbell, but he's 35, so I'd only want him on a 1 year deal.

Big sports family from the Endicott New York area. His brother is former UFC champion Jon Jones.  His other brother Arthur played defensive tackle for Syracuse and the Baltimore Ravens

Interesting thing to me is that the Broncos are in on him as well. Most people are convinced Von Miller is coming back to them. If so, they're out and they're the only other "contender" for Jones who's looking to play for a contender. 

Also can't help but wonder if the fact that they're in on him might point to Von Miller to the Broncos not being the forgone conclusion most are pointing to. And if not, maybe we're interested in him as well?

5 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Do whatever you gotta do to fit his contract under the cap, up to and including trading Edmunds’ $12.7M/yr figure.

You are a desperate little fella on this issue, aren't you?

First post into a Chandler Jones thread and you immediately go into thread-nap mode to share yet again more Edwards hate. Kinda sad.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YattaOkasan said:

McD has given more snaps to players that are good. Check his line numbers from Carolina. There were guys there over 70% of the snaps.  He needs to be able to trust there won’t be a drop

off. I think Ed gets this treatment next year. 

McDermott would tell him exactly how he would maximize his skills in the ‘22 scheme. In fact I predict a detailed PowerPoint presentation.

I don’t know who the broncos DC is but this is the type of thing McDermott is good at - details and talking to players can become the best version of themselves. Join the #1 defense and get us over the hump. 

edit: looked up broncos DC and it’s Ejiro Evero, former secondary coach of rams 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

This team has had 4 years to acquire top tier talent. The fact that we are still looking for at key positions is concerning. Beane has to do better at drafting. 

Nonsense.

Every team in the league is looking at key positions. Every single one. This is an excellent roster. But even excellent rosters work at improving, and churn through guys as they get older, more expensive or the team can upgrade.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Nonsense.

Every team in the league is looking at key positions. Every single one. This is an excellent roster. But even excellent rosters work at improving, and churn through guys as they get older, more expensive or the team can upgrade.

I actually place some of the blame on the QBs for this. Elite QBs need to learn that maxing out your contracts hurts the teams ability to surround yourself with talent required to win championships. I like Allen, and I’m incredibly thankful he’s on our team, but it wouldn’t hurt him to take 10 million less a year to help attract more talent. If I was an NFL QB, that is what I would do. If you can’t manage to be financially successful with 30 vs 40 million a year, then you have problems. Allen must understand that if he can’t win Super Bowls by himself with slightly above average talent, then he needs to shallow his pride and do whatever it takes to bring one home to the city of Buffalo and it’s great fans. 

• Eyeroll 1

Mind you this all factors in 2023. We haven’t even hit his fat numbers yet and we are still struggling to get under the cap. It’s imperative that Beane continues to draft well. 

1 hour ago, Jerboski said:

Benjamin Albright said we would be disappointed… don’t think chandler is coming to Buffalo 

Sigh. Well we have money issues anyways. LOL and Josh’s fat contract numbers haven’t even kicked in yet. Beane needs to draft better. 

22 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I actually place some of the blame on the QBs for this. Elite QBs need to learn that maxing out your contracts hurts the teams ability to surround yourself with talent required to win championships. I like Allen, and I’m incredibly thankful he’s on our team, but it wouldn’t hurt him to take 10 million less a year to help attract more talent. If I was an NFL QB, that is what I would do. If you can’t manage to be financially successful with 30 vs 40 million a year, then you have problems. Allen must understand that if he can’t win Super Bowls by himself with slightly above average talent, then he needs to shallow his pride and do whatever it takes to bring one home to the city of Buffalo and it’s great fans. 

This has to be sarcasm? It’s hard to tell on the internet. NFL QB’s get paid what they do because they are the most important players on the team.

Just now, Motor26 said:

This has to be sarcasm? It’s hard to tell on the internet. NFL QB’s get paid what they do because they are the most important players on the team.

This is true, they do get paid the most because they are the most important player on the team, but at some point, their high salaries become a detriment to the overall success of a team. You still need high end talent at key positions to compete against better packaged teams. I hope Allen at some point realizes this and restructures or takes a smaller pay in the future. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

You are a desperate little fella on this issue, aren't you?

First post into a Chandler Jones thread and you immediately go into thread-nap mode to share yet again more Edwards hate. Kinda sad.

He’s currently got a salary that could be better utilized elsewhere. No Edmunds hate here, that’s just reality. Take your blinders off.

18 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

This is true, they do get paid the most because they are the most important player on the team, but at some point, their high salaries become a detriment to the overall success of a team. You still need high end talent at key positions to compete against better packaged teams. I hope Allen at some point realizes this and restructures or takes a smaller pay in the future. 

It’s what Brady did for years, he was never the highest paid QB in the league as far as I know.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Process said:

Yea... Hinting he's going to Denver 😬

If I had to guess, they’re offering more money.   

Bias, of course, but all things equal, I don’t see how a guy from nearby turns down a legit contender to go to the AFCW thunderdome. 

Edited by SCBills

2 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

He’s currently got a salary that could be better utilized elsewhere. No Edmunds hate here, that’s just reality. Take your blinders off.

I think Edmunds is slightly above average and a good player, but you are right. For the money we are giving him, we could be getting similar production from someone making less money. It’s a business decision that I would support. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Big sports family from the Endicott New York area. His brother is former UFC champion Jon Jones.  His other brother Arthur played defensive tackle for Syracuse and the Baltimore Ravens

They still have a presence out here too - I mean, they’ve since certainly moved on but they drop in once in a while. Jon and I share the same barber and they go to school about 10 mins from where I did.

Everyone who knows them seems to have nice things to say about Arthur and Chandler. Jon, well, that’s a mixed bag.

Just now, SCBills said:

If I had to guess, they’re offering more money.   

Bias, of course, but all things equal, I don’t see how a guy from nearby turns down the SB favorites from the AFC to go to the AFCW thunderdome. 

Beane created this problem, so he has to fix it by either drafting better talent, or cutting other players to make room. 

1 minute ago, KingBoots8 said:

They still have a presence out here too - I mean, they’ve since certainly moved on but they drop in once in a while. Jon and I share the same barber and they go to school about 10 mins from where I did.

Everyone who knows them seems to have nice things to say about Arthur and Chandler. Jon, well, that’s a mixed bag.

Sometimes people forget where they come from. I don’t really care for people who choose to neglect those that supported them before they made it big.