Shaq Lawson tweet

Buffalo_Stampede

It’s always interesting to me to read a thread about a non-star player upon whom I don’t have a strong opinion. So many different assessments that literally run the gamut. If NFL GMs are as varied in their evaluations as fans are it’s no wonder there are so many misses. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Setting the edge is also about keeping the QB in the pocket. I still have nightmares about Addison and Hughes running right past Mahomes while he runs outside and gains 15 yards.

I’m sure they got credited with a “QB Pressure” though…

The whole idea of a pressure, a hurry or a hit is worthless if the pass was still completed.  Sacks are all I care about. If Shaq wants to come back for a 1 year prove it "league minimum" deal,  I guess I could live with that?

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, nucci said:

what's a "prove it deal" ? He's been in the league a few years. We know how he plays

Short term, low guarantees and incentives to reach, gives the player a chance to show up big and earn another longer deal.  Personally, I’d do 2 years so if he does ball out for his incentives, I get to keep him for another year he’ll be chasing a contract.  Let’s not pretend he was ever great here, just started showing some success in his last year when teams were having to pay attention to the center of the line getting blown up by Phillips.  6.5 sacks is nothing to write home about.  I’d do something like; Year 1: 1.8M base, 200k bonus at 40% of defensive snaps, 300k at 7 sacks, 500k for pro bowl, 2M for All Pro (HA!).  Year 2 voidable at 9 sacks.

Year 2: total salary = year 1 salary plus bonuses total, same bonus structure again.

23 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The whole idea of a pressure, a hurry or a hit is worthless if the pass was still completed.  Sacks are all I care about. If Shaq wants to come back for a 1 year prove it "league minimum" deal,  I guess I could live with that?

No offense, but If that’s all you care about then you should take some football 101 classes.  

“A hurry or a hit is worthless if the pass was completed”, tells 1/2 the story.  A hurry or a hit is almost as good as a sack if the pass is incomplete.  But they aren’t sacks…..so you don’t care about them….even if they help you win the game.  Similar to Aaron Donald’s play to end the super bowl…..mmmhmmm

• Like (+1) 3

23 hours ago, eball said:

It’s always interesting to me to read a thread about a non-star player upon whom I don’t have a strong opinion. So many different assessments that literally run the gamut. If NFL GMs are as varied in their evaluations as fans are it’s no wonder there are so many misses. 

Put another way:  If [some] NFL GMs are as varied in [bad at] their evaluations as fans are it’s no wonder there are so many misses. 

And that may even be the case. Be that as it may, I don't ever find myself placing my own opinions of a player (however strong they might be) above Beane's. I feel like he's earned our trust.

And I'm right there with you regarding Lawson. I will say though: he was playing his best football in a Bills uniform right before he left. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

No offense, but If that’s all you care about then you should take some football 101 classes.  

“A hurry or a hit is worthless if the pass was completed”, tells 1/2 the story.  A hurry or a hit is almost as good as a sack if the pass is incomplete.  But they aren’t sacks…..so you don’t care about them….even if they help you win the game.  Similar to Aaron Donald’s play to end the super bowl…..mmmhmmm

I agree with what you're saying, but the difference is that sacks are explosive plays that can end drives by putting the offense in un-makable down/distance situations, not to mention possibly cause fumbles by the QB. Hurries that force interceptions are as well, but hurries that force incompletions are not. The Bills D could certainly use more explosive plays on defense. They're basically the only way to stop top offenses with the current rules.

10 minutes ago, vincec said:

I agree with what you're saying, but the difference is that sacks are explosive plays that can end drives by putting the offense in un-makable down/distance situations, not to mention possibly cause fumbles by the QB. Hurries that force interceptions are as well, but hurries that force incompletions are not. The Bills D could certainly use more explosive plays on defense. They're basically the only way to stop top offenses with the current rules.

Yeah, sacks are better than hurries and hits.  But to say that hurries and hits are equivalent to nothing just disregards a big part of our defense.  The pressure (aka hurries and hits) we generated was one of the reasons our pass d was so good.  Levi and Dane aren’t world beaters.  

I’d rather our DE’s finish too.  We were 11th in the league in sacks, with a very low blitz rate and top in pressures.  Could be better….definitely.  

3 hours ago, AmishRifle said:

I like Shaw for his ability to set the edge.  Especially when you play run-heavy teams like the Ravens.

I thought Shaw was just a poster. Didn’t know he was active on game days. I’m a bigger fan now 😂😂😂. But seriously Shaq would be a great pickup because our schedule features so many run heavy teams this year. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I see Lawson as our plan C. I think they’ll go for a big upgrade, but if they can’t get your Chander Jones or that dude from LA they’ll sign Lawson. Lawson isn’t a terrible worst case scenario either, he’s still young and the things he does well he does very well. He probably walks into TC and beats AJ and Boogie for a starting job (although I love Boogie)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.