Who will be the #1 pick in the draft?

YoloinOhio

With the 1st pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, the <Jacksonville Jaguars or TBD> select…  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the #1 overall pick in 2022?

• Oregon DE Kayvon Thibodeaux
    • Michigan DE Aidan Hutchinson
    • Liberty QB Malik Willis (if traded to a QB needy team)
    • Alabama OT Evan Neal
    • Other - Yolo is stupid and isn’t paying attention to the top prospects because Bills are picking 25
    • UGA DE Travon Walker

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

the Jags taking him?!??, or who do you think trades up for him?   

I have the Jags staying and taking Neal.  

He’d be a hell of a book end with their Josh Allen.  They might go OT, but I think Hutch.  Thibodeaux has not been impressing in interviews FWIH so I think he will fall a bit. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/5/2022 at 8:40 AM, BarleyNY said:

He’d be a hell of a book end with their Josh Allen.  They might go OT, but I think Hutch.  Thibodeaux has not been impressing in interviews FWIH so I think he will fall a bit. 

Concur, especially after I read this: https://www.mlive.com/lions/2022/03/oregon-pass-rusher-kayvon-thibodeaux-a-possible-lions-target-withdraws-early-from-nfl-combine.html

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/4/2022 at 6:34 PM, Allen2Diggs said:

I think Evan Neal is the safe pick to protect Trevor Lawrence.

I feel like this draft teams are going to be desperate to trade down. 

There's not as much top-end talent, but good depth at a lot of positions. The fact that some players aren't participating in the combine also makes it harder to assess talent. 

If we find a trade partner, I think that we could trade from #25 to the top of the 2nd round and still get Jameson Williams, plus a 3rd and 4th pick to give us depth at guard and cb.

If we trade down I want the deal to include a #1 for 2023. This draft is generally weak imo, not even close to 2021.

Jmo.

If the jags keep it, it has to be Neal.  Great get for Jax.  Pederson has his Jason Peters. 

At one point I could’ve seen the giants trading up to secure one of the 2 pass rushers, but with Walkers emergence, I think they’d be happy with him….if in fact, they want pass rush over OL.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the Jags will trade that for the cornucopia of picks. There's no Bruce Smith there and I'd never take an OL #1 overall.  They don't move the needle that much.   

I also wouldn't want to pay back to back #1 picks in the event they both turn out to be great.  Hard to build a good team around them financially.  

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It's very weak at the top. It has some good rump in that round 2 to 4 range. 

It is, but I am all but sure that the first round will be much better in 2023. This draft reminds me just a bit of the one where we drafted EJ Manuel. I would love an extra first round pick in 23.

Jmo.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/years/2013

Edited by Bill from NYC

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

It is, but I am all but sure that the first round will be much better in 2023. This draft reminds me just a bit of the one where we drafted EJ Manuel. I would love an extra first round pick in 23.

Jmo.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/years/2013

Yea I have made the 2013 comparison too (of the first round at least). Interestingly that was the last time a tackle went #1 overall and I see a bit of the hip stifness and questionable lateral movement in Neal that stopped Fisher ever really making himself a top 10 tackle in the pros. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I have made the 2013 comparison too (of the first round at least). Interestingly that was the last time a tackle went #1 overall and I see a bit of the hip stifness and questionable lateral movement in Neal that stopped Fisher ever really making himself a top 10 tackle in the pros. 

I will get into Neal and the other draft eligible players in a week or 2 as I do every year. I saw every snap that Neal ever played in at Alabama and have some strong opinions about him, Williams, Metchie, etc.

4 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The Jags are insane if they pass on Hutchinson. 

What they need is a veteran left tackle to protect Lawrence

If they draft an OT, he doesn't necessarily have to start at LT as a rookie. I think that the Jags would be insane, and I am talking Marv Levy/Rich Kotite caliber idiots to not draft an OT to protect Trevor Lawrence, who is immensely talented. Can we pretend that he is not? Oh yeah, but the kid has Josh Allen type talent.

Teams that fail to protect these kind of stars deserve the failure that certainly does await them. 

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

If they draft an OT, he doesn't necessarily have to start at LT as a rookie. I think that the Jags would be insane, and I am talking Marv Levy/Rich Kotite caliber idiots to not draft an OT to protect Trevor Lawrence, who is immensely talented. Can we pretend that he is not? Oh yeah, but the kid has Josh Allen type talent.

Teams that fail to protect these kind of stars deserve the failure that certainly does await them. 

I disagree because I think a rookie left tackle is going to make some mistakes that could get that shiny new toy killed. And if he isn’t going to start at left tackle day 1, he doesn’t deserve to be the #1 pick. 

Jacksonville should take Hutchinson and sign a veteran like Terron Armstead, or resign their own in Cam Robinson. Passing on a talent like Hutchinson to draft tackles with question marks is nuts to me. Sign a vet, even a guy like Duane Brown. That is what will help Lawrence more than anything imo. 

6 hours ago, dpberr said:

I think the Jags will trade that for the cornucopia of picks. There's no Bruce Smith there and I'd never take an OL #1 overall.  They don't move the needle that much.   

I also wouldn't want to pay back to back #1 picks in the event they both turn out to be great.  Hard to build a good team around them financially.  

I’m not sure anyone is offering a lot of picks to jump up to number 1 in this draft. Doesn’t seem like a very strong year for number 1. 

7 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I disagree because I think a rookie left tackle is going to make some mistakes that could get that shiny new toy killed. And if he isn’t going to start at left tackle day 1, he doesn’t deserve to be the #1 pick. 

And Neal gives me pause there. I am not sold on him as a day 1 starting left tackle. I'd start him day 1 on the right side but that isn't #1 overall value. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.