Daniel Jeremiah Mock Draft 2.0 - Bills take Treylon Burks: 3.0 - Bills take Breece Hall

YoloinOhio

Breece Hall would be interesting from the standpoint that he's not what Beane has targeted in the past. Singletary and Moss were among the best, if not the absolute best, in their respective classes in terms of breaking tackles/forcing missed tackles and yards after contact per attempt. Hall is (I believe) dead last in terms of yards after contact per attempt in his draft class. He certainly offers more speed than Singletary/Moss do, but he doesn't look like a 4.39 guy on tape; his initial burst isn't anything special and he generally doesn't pull away from guys but rather just maintains distance. But he'd definitely offer us an upgrade on 3rd downs that we seemingly want considering our pursuit of McKissic while also potentially being a good option on the early downs too.

I'm personally against going RB in the 1st, but if you're going to do it, you should target a 3 down back IMO and Hall definitely checks that box.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, mrags said:

Highest paid players at positions of skill are sky high. Inflation brought us that. Inflation and greed. I don’t expect ANY pay scale to decrease for any single position in the league moving forward at this point. There may be less high paid players at the RB position only because teams can’t find stud RBs or go with RBBC because they can’t afford to sign high profile RBs along with their 40m+ QBs, 20m+ WRs, 20m+ DEs. But I’d imagine if you asked the Colts, Saints, Titans how they feel about their RBs they wouldn’t  trade them for some scrub that needs a backup because they can’t do it all. 

I think you could use the same analogy with how McDermott and Beane have missed on the DL since they got here. They’ve had to overpay for average at best vets at the DL, draft multiple 1st and 2nd round picks. And still had to use a rotation because they couldn’t get the production out of their intended starters. They ended up spending the same amount on Butler, Addison, Hughes as it took to sign a true pass rusher like Miller. I guarantee, now that we have someone like Von, we don’t see nearly as much of a rotation. 

Off the top of my head:

How about zeke?  Think the cowboys arr happy about the zeke contract?  

I would bet that the Saints have a ****ton of remorse about the Kamara contract.  

The panthers should’ve traded Mccaffery before the extension.  they’ve gotten nothing from him since getting paid. 

Leveon was regarded as the best RB in the league…..wanted 15M.  The ever so successful Steelers franchise said “hell no”.

Melvin gordon wanted 13-15M——he settled for 4M.  

packers have A jones @ 12M.  Now they lose Adams.  

Barkleys is the NFLs 10th highest paid RB and he’s playing on a 5th year option (which you said was extremely low).  It’s low relative to the other 5th year options…. Because the position is one of the least valuable in the league according to NFL GMs.  

anyway you slice it, RBs are devalued.  Having a 15M RB AND a 40M QB on your roster is a stupid idea imo.  Pay your QB big bucks, you best protect him and give him weapons. Pretty good RBs can excel behind great OLs and become HoF running backs.  

Pittsburgh is a great example. Bell was on the way to a HoF career behind the very good Steelers OL a decade ago.  He leaves gets paid and plays behind the jets OL.  His career was instantly over.  They draft Najee in the first…..to the eye, he’s a great back…..with a 3.9 ypc running behind a terrible OL.  .4 ypc better than Jim Kelly. Motors ypcs 5.1, 4.4, 4.6.   

Some of potential star RBs that end up behind very good lines will probably continue to get paid 8-12m.  A guy like Taylor will get his 15M….and continue to lose in the playoffs or not make the playoffs.  There aren’t any Christian Kirk contracts, given out to Christian Kirk type RBs.  There won’t be either.  

Regarding Von, what % snap count do you envision?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

The argument about no 1000 yard rushers ignores that the run blocking has been weak and that they don’t run the ball a lot.

I’m all for improving the run game, but I think the beast way to do that is to improve the OL. 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Off the top of my head:

How about zeke?  Think the cowboys arr happy about the zeke contract?  

I would bet that the Saints have a ****ton of remorse about the Kamara contract.  

The panthers should’ve traded Mccaffery before the extension.  they’ve gotten nothing from him since getting paid. 

Leveon was regarded as the best RB in the league…..wanted 15M.  The ever so successful Steelers franchise said “hell no”.

Melvin gordon wanted 13-15M——he settled for 4M.  

packers have A jones @ 12M.  Now they lose Adams.  

Barkleys is the NFLs 10th highest paid RB and he’s playing on a 5th year option (which you said was extremely low).  It’s low relative to the other 5th year options…. Because the position is one of the least valuable in the league according to NFL GMs.  

anyway you slice it, RBs are devalued.  Having a 15M RB AND a 40M QB on your roster is a stupid idea imo.  Pay your QB big bucks, you best protect him and give him weapons. Pretty good RBs can excel behind great OLs and become HoF running backs.  

Pittsburgh is a great example. Bell was on the way to a HoF career behind the very good Steelers OL a decade ago.  He leaves gets paid and plays behind the jets OL.  His career was instantly over.  They draft Najee in the first…..to the eye, he’s a great back…..with a 3.9 ypc running behind a terrible OL.  .4 ypc better than Jim Kelly. Motors ypcs 5.1, 4.4, 4.6.   

Some of potential star RBs that end up behind very good lines will probably continue to get paid 8-12m.  A guy like Taylor will get his 15M….and continue to lose in the playoffs or not make the playoffs.  There aren’t any Christian Kirk contracts, given out to Christian Kirk type RBs.  There won’t be either.  

Regarding Von, what % snap count do you envision?

The bolded is 100% exactly why you draft a young stud at RB and ride him out the 4-5 years and then let him walk before his big money deal. I’m not saying we should ever pay a RB top end RB money. That’s why I want to draft the best possible one we can find and abuse him while he’s young and healthy. Ditch him after his first contract, before he becomes an injury risk, before he wants big money.  Rinse/repeat. 

Bell was a head case and ruined his own career. Nobody is saying they he wasn’t good. He was. He also thought he was better than he was. Must have been hanging out with AB too much while In Pittsburgh. But he makes my point for this argument. I never would have paid Bell a big contract. I would have let him walk. 

I don’t think the Saints are too concerned about what Kamara is making. He’s a true game changer. Runs, catches, blocks. If anything they are only upset about the deal because they now have no QB to offset that. Once they lost Brees, all defenses needed to do was key on Kamara and shut their entire offense down. Without the QB a RB is useless. As we’ve seen many years with McGahee, Henry, Lynch, Spiller, Jackson, etc. 

id imagine the Panthers wished they never did that deal only because CMC is constantly injured. Another reason to not sign them to high paid contracts. But for a few years, CMC was easily one of the best players in all of football before the injury bug hit him. Another point why you draft a young stud, ride him out until he breaks down. let him walk in his 2nd contract. Rinse/repeat. 

Packers wouldn’t have been able to keep Adams regardless of Jones contract. They are now handcuffed by Rodgers. Who claimed he wanted off the team because they tried to replace him instead of giving him weapons. Then he signed for a 50m/year contract. Proving it was all about money for him. Because any idiot could see there was zero chance of signing a QB to 50m and still think you could sign the best WR in football to a 30m/year contract. Rodgers ruined himself and now he will suffer in an offense with zero WRs. I’m sure they will draft a few but it will take them too long to get up to speed for him to have a legitimate year this year. I’m probably wrong in this. You don’t become the leagues MVP over and over only to suck. But I don’t believe he will be nearly as good going forward now. 

Taylor didn’t lose in the playoffs  because of anything he did. He lost in the playoffs because his QB was aweful. Everyone knows Wentz is garbage. Well, everyone except Frank Reich last off season. Last year was their year however. I expect them to be better this season with Ryan. But so is just about every other team in the AFC. They will content for the division but might not make the playoffs. 

Barkley’s contract is low compared to the highest paid players on 2nd year deals. It’s half of what the top 5 are being paid. I wouldn’t recommend resigning him to a 2nd contract either. Rinse/ Repeat. 

Zeke has never been that good imo. He’s under Jerry’s world though. Jones is an idiot. I wouldn’t have paid Dak 40m a year either. 

all this back and forth is all fine. But when it all comes down to it. None of them these RBs right now, have a player like Josh Allen as their QB. Have the offense that this team runs. Kamara was the closest you’ll see when they had Brees. As I pointed without a QB he will be nothing. But we have the QB. We have the best QB in the league. We have the offense that wants to roll other teams by 30. None of the arguments for any other back makes any guarantees because they aren’t in this offense. 

So yes. I want a young stud RB. I don’t think we should take one at 25 but won’t be mad if we did. Because I believe we really need one. And I don’t recommend paying that RB no matter how good he is, a 2nd contact. Because they have short life spans. Because they break down. Because they don’t make sense to pay a RB that kind of money. Which is why I want the best one we can get, early, and use them for 5 years at a very low cost. 

I think Von will play more than the rest of the line. And defiantly more than guys like Hughes and Addison did last year. But I do expect somewhat of a rotation until playoff time. 

36 minutes ago, NewEra said:

This is a really interesting way to put it and I think it's almost certainly correct.

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

This is a really interesting way to put it and I think it's almost certainly correct.

I think where everyone is confusing me with wanting a stud RB is they think I’m advocating for resigning that player to a 2nd contract. I am not. Other positions deserve 2nd contracts at high numbers. RBs don’t. Unless your getting a friendly deal it doesn’t make it worth it. You are getting the best out of your RB likely in the 2-5th year. While they are young. Healthy. Fresh. 

10 minutes ago, mrags said:

I think where everyone is confusing me with wanting a stud RB is they think I’m advocating for resigning that player to a 2nd contract. I am not. Other positions deserve 2nd contracts at high numbers. RBs don’t. Unless your getting a friendly deal it doesn’t make it worth it. You are getting the best out of your RB likely in the 2-5th year. While they are young. Healthy. Fresh. 

In all seriousness, I am with you on this.  Normally, picking a RB in the first round would not make me happy.  I'll be fine with it, if it happens - but the (lack of) CB situation is a problem.  If they don't sign a proven vet to fill in for Tre White (I don't think he'll be back/active until week 7 or 8 at the earliest), they'll almost have to draft the best available CB.  Not sure what that looks like at 25, but color me concerned if we go into the season with the current CBs on the roster.

58 minutes ago, mrags said:

The bolded is 100% exactly why you draft a young stud at RB and ride him out the 4-5 years and then let him walk before his big money deal. I’m not saying we should ever pay a RB top end RB money. That’s why I want to draft the best possible one we can find and abuse him while he’s young and healthy. Ditch him after his first contract, before he becomes an injury risk, before he wants big money.  Rinse/repeat. 

Bell was a head case and ruined his own career. Nobody is saying they he wasn’t good. He was. He also thought he was better than he was. Must have been hanging out with AB too much while In Pittsburgh. But he makes my point for this argument. I never would have paid Bell a big contract. I would have let him walk. 

I don’t think the Saints are too concerned about what Kamara is making. He’s a true game changer. Runs, catches, blocks. If anything they are only upset about the deal because they now have no QB to offset that. Once they lost Brees, all defenses needed to do was key on Kamara and shut their entire offense down. Without the QB a RB is useless. As we’ve seen many years with McGahee, Henry, Lynch, Spiller, Jackson, etc. 

id imagine the Panthers wished they never did that deal only because CMC is constantly injured. Another reason to not sign them to high paid contracts. But for a few years, CMC was easily one of the best players in all of football before the injury bug hit him. Another point why you draft a young stud, ride him out until he breaks down. let him walk in his 2nd contract. Rinse/repeat. 

Packers wouldn’t have been able to keep Adams regardless of Jones contract. They are now handcuffed by Rodgers. Who claimed he wanted off the team because they tried to replace him instead of giving him weapons. Then he signed for a 50m/year contract. Proving it was all about money for him. Because any idiot could see there was zero chance of signing a QB to 50m and still think you could sign the best WR in football to a 30m/year contract. Rodgers ruined himself and now he will suffer in an offense with zero WRs. I’m sure they will draft a few but it will take them too long to get up to speed for him to have a legitimate year this year. I’m probably wrong in this. You don’t become the leagues MVP over and over only to suck. But I don’t believe he will be nearly as good going forward now. 

Taylor didn’t lose in the playoffs  because of anything he did. He lost in the playoffs because his QB was aweful. Everyone knows Wentz is garbage. Well, everyone except Frank Reich last off season. Last year was their year however. I expect them to be better this season with Ryan. But so is just about every other team in the AFC. They will content for the division but might not make the playoffs. 

Barkley’s contract is low compared to the highest paid players on 2nd year deals. It’s half of what the top 5 are being paid. I wouldn’t recommend resigning him to a 2nd contract either. Rinse/ Repeat. 

Zeke has never been that good imo. He’s under Jerry’s world though. Jones is an idiot. I wouldn’t have paid Dak 40m a year either. 

all this back and forth is all fine. But when it all comes down to it. None of them these RBs right now, have a player like Josh Allen as their QB. Have the offense that this team runs. Kamara was the closest you’ll see when they had Brees. As I pointed without a QB he will be nothing. But we have the QB. We have the best QB in the league. We have the offense that wants to roll other teams by 30. None of the arguments for any other back makes any guarantees because they aren’t in this offense. 

So yes. I want a young stud RB. I don’t think we should take one at 25 but won’t be mad if we did. Because I believe we really need one. And I don’t recommend paying that RB no matter how good he is, a 2nd contact. Because they have short life spans. Because they break down. Because they don’t make sense to pay a RB that kind of money. Which is why I want the best one we can get, early, and use them for 5 years at a very low cost. 

I think Von will play more than the rest of the line. And defiantly more than guys like Hughes and Addison did last year. But I do expect somewhat of a rotation until playoff time. 

no.

Do not draft running backs high ever. Draft players you will retain if they are ProBowlers.

Chiefs wasted a pick on CEH. They should have drafted an impact position.

also, mrags should stay. @Gugny

• Agree 1

Just now, FireChans said:

no.

Do not draft running backs high ever. Draft players you will retain if they are ProBowlers.

Chiefs wasted a pick on CEH. They should have drafted an impact position.

also, mrags should stay. @Gugny

Chiefs wasted a pick because they drafted the wrong RB. If they had Taylor they would be even more unstoppable than they already are. 

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

In all seriousness, I am with you on this.  Normally, picking a RB in the first round would not make me happy.  I'll be fine with it, if it happens - but the (lack of) CB situation is a problem.  If they don't sign a proven vet to fill in for Tre White (I don't think he'll be back/active until week 7 or 8 at the earliest), they'll almost have to draft the best available CB.  Not sure what that looks like at 25, but color me concerned if we go into the season with the current CBs on the roster.

I 100% agree with this. 

normally I wouldn’t recommend a RB in the first. But if your picking in the late 20s. You have a need for the position. And you are on the doorstep of the Super Bowl for the foreseeable future. You pick the best available one and ride him out for the 4-5 years that your window is open. 

that’s all unless you get a better difference maker at another position. 

again, everyone wants to think I would take Hall over Dotson, Olave, Williams. I wouldn’t. Corner I generally wouldn’t either but the fact is, thisboffense could be significantly different in a year and you could be with only Davis at WR. Crowder and McKenzie could easily be gone. After that you have Davis on a rookie deal who’s going to want more money. And Diggs who will want to be paid near the top of the league. So I am all for giving Josh targets that will take him through his prime years. Something the Packers never did with Rodgers. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

Chiefs wasted a pick because they drafted the wrong RB. If they had Taylor they would be even more unstoppable than they already are. 

No they wouldn’t because they would still lose their best WR. And they have no one to replace him.

The NFL moves fast. Two years ago no one ever imagined Tyreek not being a Chief. Today, no one can imagine Diggs not being a Bill.

We should draft a WR high. The Chiefs should have drafted Tee Higgins. Luxury picks do not work. Draft impact players at impact positions, always.

• Like (+1) 1

No they wouldn’t because they would still lose their best WR. And they have no one to replace him.

The NFL moves fast. Two years ago no one ever imagined Tyreek not being a Chief. Today, no one can imagine Diggs not being a Bill.

We should draft a WR high. The Chiefs should have drafted Tee Higgins. Luxury picks do not work. Draft impact players at impact positions, always.

Yet you don’t want to get a difference maker at a position that is on the field literally almost every single offensive snap. SMH. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yet you don’t want to get a difference maker at a position that is on the field literally almost every single offensive snap. SMH. 

No I don’t. RB’s truly are dime a dozen players. True difference makers are rarer than hens teeth.

Look at the QB-WR combos of the playoff teams this year and then look at the RB’s. Burrow and Chase. Mahomes and Hill. Rodgers and Adams. Brady and Evans. Allen and Diggs. Stafford and Kupp.

Derrick Henry was the best RB in the postseason by a mile. One and done. The Rams were trotting out a dude who tore his Achilles 7 months ago. They won it all. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

No I don’t. RB’s truly are dime a dozen players. True difference makers are rarer than hens teeth.

Look at the QB-WR combos of the playoff teams this year and then look at the RB’s. Burrow and Chase. Mahomes and Hill. Rodgers and Adams. Brady and Evans. Allen and Diggs. Stafford and Kupp.

Derrick Henry was the best RB in the postseason by a mile. One and done. The Rams were trotting out a dude who tore his Achilles 7 months ago. They won it all. 

Hard to debate this. 

RBs are a dime a dozen. Really good ones are as rare as hens teeth. 

yea, look at the QB and WR combos. You added Allen and Diggs, so….. are you saying we don’t have our WR and QB set already? Or are they? I’m confused. 

Henry and the Titans are not nearly the same because they have Ryan Freaking Tannehill as their QB. Same as the Colts with Wentz. They win in spite of their QBs not because of them. Completely different when you have one of, if not the best QB in the league. And are kicking the door down for a Lombardi Trophy. 

And the Rams would have started Akers all year long had he not been injured. 

4 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

Hard to debate this. 

Just did it for you 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Gardner, Stingley and McDuffie will all most likely be gone by pick 25.  That leaves Booth, Elam, Gordon, McCreary, Bryant and Woolin.  Booth and Elam will probably go late 1st early 2nd..the rest will go throughout the 2nd to 3rd… we could trade up and take one if there is one Beane covets more and he has a trade partner or wait.  Woolin is the high risk, high reward pick. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.