Daniel Jeremiah Mock Draft 2.0 - Bills take Treylon Burks: 3.0 - Bills take Breece Hall

YoloinOhio

34 minutes ago, Magnum Force said:

The Bills had the #1 Defense last year.

We have a top 5 QB

We have a top 5 WR

We have a top 5 TE

We have a top 5 Edge Rusher

We have a top 5 CB

We have top 5 Safety Tandem

We have the number 31 rated starting RB in the league that is small and slow

This————^

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

My first choice is to take the best available CB @ 25.  But I wouldn't be opposed to trading back into the early 2nd and draft  Breece Hall. Use 57 on a CB.  Now you have an extra 3rd for a speed wr and IOL.

i do NOT want a RB in the first - if you want a back in the first 3 rounds you better trade out of the 1st to get 4 picks.  

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Just made me think that the Chiefs took CEH over Jonathan Taylor. 😳

OMG I don’t even want to imagine Jonathan Taylor on the Chiefs especially behind that rebuild OL 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Who do you think Josh would want?  The stud WR, that's who. 

That's why you would ask Josh, because that is who the FO wanted all along.  You tell him, once you get this guy, Josh has to use him for at least 3 years.  Josh will gladly agree.  This is the Sanders replacement with much more long term potential value.

They aren’t using pick 25 on a low value position like RB or IOL, we can be sure of that.  So it’s CB, WR or Edge.  I think McDermott believes he can fill the CB2 slot with a mid-round pick, and there’s not much room on the roster for another edge rusher.  That makes WR the most likely target, and I think they’ll be looking to add speed and YAC, which means Dotson or Burks.  I also think they’d run to the podium for either of the Ohio State guys.  Williams is interesting, but I think they’re all in for 2022 and he might not be able to help much until next year.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Magnum Force said:

The Bills had the #1 Defense last year.

We have a top 5 QB

We have a top 5 WR

We have a top 5 TE

We have a top 5 Edge Rusher

We have a top 5 CB

We have top 5 Safety Tandem

We have the number 31 rated starting RB in the league that is small and slow

By what metric is he the 31st rated starting running back?  He was 16th in the NFL in rushing yards, tied for 15th in TDs, tied for 15th in yards per carry.  4.6 YPC, 7 TDs.  Down the stretch he played really well when given a chance for more snaps, and had 3 TDs in the playoffs.  

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Excellent post!

Thanks. It took some time as I was falling asleep on my couch at midnight. Looking everything up on my phone. I could have included much more content that I noticed but at some point I had to cut it off. Things like the Seahawks and Shaun Alexander having 1800 yard seasons and 27TDs. Only to lose to the Steelers with Ben throwing about 2500 yards. Willie Parker had over 1,200 rushing yards and Bettis was still on the team and had almost 500 I think. There was plenty of other situations like this. Not to this extent because Alexander had one of the best years for a RB ever. But there were more. Like the year the Seahawks lost to the Pats when they should have just ran Lynch up the middle for 1-2 yards instead of getting cute with a Russell Wilson pass. 

Just shows that the argument for having a top RB is not important is false. More than 50% of teams that make it to the SB since 1999 have had good to dominant run games. And I’m not taking away from the QB play. Obviously that is important. Most important imo. But the % of teams that got there with a RB that produced less than 900 yards in a season are very slim. And you have to factor in the Pats that won it like 5 times in the middle of that run and had like 3 RB by committee and each back was going for 300-500 yards. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

They aren’t using pick 25 on a low value position like RB or IOL, we can be sure of that.  So it’s CB, WR or Edge.  I think McDermott believes he can fill the CB2 slot with a mid-round pick, and there’s not much room on the roster for another edge rusher.  That makes WR the most likely target, and I think they’ll be looking to add speed and YAC, which means Dotson or Burks.  Williams is interesting, but it think they’re all in for 2022 and he might not be able to help much until next year.

If the FO feels (like I do) that J Williams is elite, then yes, I think they gladly take him. 

I think the FO hasn't given up on the long game.  An elite WR is difficult to get and if you can draft one you really help your cap.

36 minutes ago, dneveu said:

By what metric is he the 31st rated starting running back?  He was 16th in the NFL in rushing yards, tied for 15th in TDs, tied for 15th in yards per carry.  4.6 YPC, 7 TDs.  Down the stretch he played really well when given a chance for more snaps, and had 3 TDs in the playoffs.  

He is the product of being in a great offense that has arguably the best running QB. 

26 minutes ago, mrags said:

Thanks. It took some time as I was falling asleep on my couch at midnight. Looking everything up on my phone. I could have included much more content that I noticed but at some point I had to cut it off. Things like the Seahawks and Shaun Alexander having 1800 yard seasons and 27TDs. Only to lose to the Steelers with Ben throwing about 2500 yards. Willie Parker had over 1,200 rushing yards and Bettis was still on the team and had almost 500 I think. There was plenty of other situations like this. Not to this extent because Alexander had one of the best years for a RB ever. But there were more. Like the year the Seahawks lost to the Pats when they should have just ran Lynch up the middle for 1-2 yards instead of getting cute with a Russell Wilson pass. 

Just shows that the argument for having a top RB is not important is false. More than 50% of teams that make it to the SB since 1999 have had good to dominant run games. And I’m not taking away from the QB play. Obviously that is important. Most important imo. But the % of teams that got there with a RB that produced less than 900 yards in a season are very slim. And you have to factor in the Pats that won it like 5 times in the middle of that run and had like 3 RB by committee and each back was going for 300-500 yards. 

2021 - Rams had 2 running backs and a 3rd play in the playoffs - Bengals had Mixon

2020 - Bucs had jones and fournette, Chiefs had CEH, Bell, and Williams

2019 - Chiefs had Williams, Mccoy, William - 49ers had Coleman, Mostert, Brieda

2018 - Patriots had MIchel, White, Burckhead - Rams had Gurley

2017 - Patriots had Lewis, Gillislee, Burkhead, White - Eagles had Blount, Clement, Ajayi

If recency has anything to do with it... which i think it should as bell cow running backs have become far less popular.  It seems like you almost don't want one to get to the super bowl.  

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

2021 - Rams had 2 running backs and a 3rd play in the playoffs - Bengals had Mixon

2017 - Patriots had Lewis, Gillislee, Burkhead, White - Eagles had Blount, Clement, Ajayi

If recency has anything to do with it... which i think it should as bell cow running backs have become far less popular.  It seems like you almost don't want one to get to the super bowl.  

I agree. Get a CB or WR with the first round pick. RB by committee approaches work well because most of the backs have different skill sets that compliment each other’s. I think the Bills should look to add a speed back in round 4 or 5 to go with Singletary between the tackles and Duke pass catching back. I guess you could consider Moss the power back even though I personally think he’s useless.

12 minutes ago, Magnum Force said:

He is the product of being in a great offense that has arguably the best running QB. 

Really?  The trash offensive line, and trash run calls were the reason we couldn't run the ball all year.  

Jonathan taylor is great, but so is his line.  Chubb is great, so is his line.  Same with Henry, Elliot, Cook, etc. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Really?  The trash offensive line, and trash run calls were the reason we couldn't run the ball all year.  

Jonathan taylor is great, but so is his line.  Chubb is great, so is his line.  Same with Henry, Elliot, Cook, etc. 

Name all the starting RBs that have a slower 40 time 4.66 (Singletary)

Name all the starting RBs that have a faster 40 time 4.39 (Breece Hall)

42 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Don’t talk about reality around here.  It will get you nowhere.  

2 hours ago, Magnum Force said:

David Montgomery ran a 4.63, Mattison ran a 4.67, Edwards-Helaire ran a 4.6, J. Robinson a 4.64, Stevenson ran a 4.64, Darrel Williams a 4.72, Kareem Hunt 4.62, James Conner 4.65

2 hours ago, Motor26 said:

I agree. Get a CB or WR with the first round pick. RB by committee approaches work well because most of the backs have different skill sets that compliment each other’s. I think the Bills should look to add a speed back in round 4 or 5 to go with Singletary between the tackles and Duke pass catching back. I guess you could consider Moss the power back even though I personally think he’s useless.

Moss had a really terrible yards before contact number that was a full yard lower than DS.  Felt like they were both running into a wall the first half of the year and a lot of that was the combo of ford/boettger in the middle, and williams at RT just being brutal on the backside of left side zone rushes.  They got a lot better once brown came in because they could A - run zone rushes to the right and B - He's athletic enough to disrupt the backside linebackers on rushes to the left.  They also could pull people once williams and ford were out so they could mix in some power and sweeps etc.  Just... some type of variety to it was huge.  

In general though, moss just played very uninspiring football.  He knows his job is up for grabs, hopefully he brings it this year.  

2 hours ago, Magnum Force said:

Name all the all time great running backs that ran under 4.4

Just now, NewEra said:

Bo Jackson, Gale Sayers, OJ Simpson, Herschel Walker

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Name all the all time great running backs that ran over a 4.65 40

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Magnum Force said:

Bo Jackson, Gale Sayers, OJ Simpson, Herschel Walker

Not surprising.  40 years ago, 60 years ago, 50 years ago 40 years ago.  How many titles between them?  How about a Rb in the last 10 years?  20 years, Chris Johnson….titles galore. 

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Not surprising.  40 years ago, 60 years ago, 50 years ago 40 years ago.  How many titles between them?  How about a Rb in the last 10 years?  20 years, Chris Johnson….titles galore. 

Jonathan Taylor

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You asked and I answered…all top RBs 

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

The 2021 Rams had 800+ yards out of Michel, almost 700 yards from Henderson, and Akers had 5 carries all year. 1500+ yards from your #2 and #3 RBs are hardly an ideal argument for you. I’d imagine if they could have, Akers would have been huge in their plans all year. 

The 2020 Bucs had almost 1,000 yards with Jones, and almost another 400 out of Fournette. 

The 2018 Pats had 900+ out of Michel. 400+ out of White, Burkhead and Patterson with right around 200 each. 

The 2017 Pats had 896 out of Lewis, almost 400 out of Gillislee, and another 200 or so out of Burkhead and White. 

And the losers of those SBs all had very good running games too

the 2021 Bengals had over 1,200 with Mixon

the 2020 Chiefs had CEH who also missed 3 games and still had 800 yards. 

The 2018 Rams had over 1,200 with Gurley

The 2017 Eagles, and the 2019 49ers were really the only ones on that list that didn’t have clear cut number 1 RBs. Of course they all had other players running the ball and being effective. They are Super Bowl teams. Jeez. It’s not rocket science. But as I pointed out. Having a 1,000 yard back, or very close to a 1,000 yard back is almost essential. I understand the want and desire to not take balls away from your other playmakers like Allen, Diggs, Davis, etc. but it appears that having a good RB that can get close to 1,000 yards takes pressure off the passing game, keeps defenses honest, and creates the need to gameplan for everything. Devin Singletary will still be a decent back. He will still be capable of putting up yards and being counted on. Just like every one of those teams you mentioned having multiple backs. But the offenses with good backs are just as dynamic or more then those without one. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.