Focus On The Offense Draft

H2o

Why go WR RD1? Doesn’t CB make more sense? If we pay $10M in FA we can get a very good starting WR like Christian Kirk or maybe even a TE like Mike Gesicki. If we pay a CB $10M in FA, you’re looking at someone like Levi Wallace. To me, there’s more value in drafting a corner, maybe even two of them and signing a WR in FA.

Imagine if we draft a stud corner like Kaiir Elam or Andrew Booth RD1. Now we have a potential All-Pro on a 5 year rookie deal and by the time we have to pay him, Tre’s deal will run out and we have his replacement handy. 

Or how about if we draft that Zion Johnson kid, the OG from Boston College? Or Tyler Linderbaum? A few things can happen here, we can trade Feliciano and Cody Ford for draft picks while freeing up $5-6M in cap room. So now we can reinvest those picks back into our roster, by drafting young players on cheap rookie contracts and meanwhile we have all that extra cap space to extend guys we like long term.

BPA does pay off so long as you look at BPA from the perspective of both Draft/free agency combined. 

Would you rather:

Scenario 1

Kaiir Elam RD1 / Christian Kirk FA?

or

Scenario 2

Jameson Williams RD1 / Levi Wallace in FA?

The same money will be spent, which move would make this roster stronger?

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/11/2022 at 9:11 AM, H2o said:

This is a draft I would like to see if we decide to address the defense in FA with proven NFL players, one that solely focuses on putting young talent around Josh. 

Round 1 - #25. Jahan Dotson / WR / Penn St. - Dotson stands at 5'11" weighing about 185-190lbs. He has speed to burn you deep, is solid in his route running with the ability to slip away from defenders, and he has a knack for finding the soft spots in Zone coverage. He improved every year while at Penn State. He knows when to high point the ball and when to use his body to shield off defenders. He can line up on the outside or play out of the slot. He's a versatile playmaker with speed who would immediately find a role in this offense. 

Round 2 - #57. Zion Johnson / OG / Boston College - The IOL needs some work. The OL really has problems with the more physical front 4's in the league. The only saving grace they have is Josh being so flippin' athletic that he can elude 80-90% of the pressure they allow. Zion goes a long way to fixing that. There was a noticeable uptick in his physicality this year on the field and he showed well in the Senior Bowl practices. This is a good spot to work on upgrading the OL. 

Round 3  - #89. Kyren Williams / RB / Notre Dame - What kind of world would we live in if I didn't mock a Notre Dame player to us? Seriously though, Williams is an Austin Ekeler clone. Same size, same running style, same speed, same hands out of the backfield, solid blocker, he could be a 3-down RB in the NFL. This would be an upgrade to our backfield that allows Dorsey to open things up even more for Josh. A guy the defense will have to watch out for both running the ball and slipping out into pass routes. 

Round 4 - #126. - Charlie Kolar / TE / Iowa St. - At 6'6", 260lbs this is another toy for Josh and this offense. He can play in line or he can split out as he did both at Iowa St. He has the size as already noted, reliable hands, enough speed to lose LB's in coverage, is a solid blocker, and has a good sense of where the soft spots in Zone coverage will be. He would be especially hard to handle in the Red Zone for opposing defenses. Definitely an upgrade at the #2 TE position on this roster, with the ability to slide into that #1 role if Knox gets injured or prices himself out of our range in 2023 FA. 

Round 5 - #166. Obinna Eze / OT / TCU - Eze is another mammoth of a human being at 6'8" and 335lbs. He has a total of 36 starts at LT under his belt between his time at Memphis and at TCU. He could be a versatile piece to backup numerous positions along the OL. 

Round 6 - #184. Tre Turner / WR / Virginia Tech - Going to the WR well again in Round 6. Turner improved at least some aspect of his game every year while at VT. He's also a 2 sport star for VT playing basketball for them as well. The QB situation at VT really hampered his ability to show what he can do, but he is a smooth route runner, has outstanding ball skills, and good body control. He could end up being a steal in the 6th Round. 

Round 6 - #203. Daniel Barker / TE / Illinois - Another swing at a TE as we can agree it was one of the weaker positions on the offensive side of the ball. Barker is another guy who possesses talent, but suffered from inconsistent QB play. He's more developmental that Kolar, but he has all the tools to be a #2 TE on an NFL roster. 

Round 7 - #228. Ryan Wright / P / Tulane - The search for the all elusive consistent punter in the NFL continues, for us anyway. Wright averaged 47.5yds per kick on 51 attempts. Out of those, 16 of those 51 punts went for over 50 yards and 17 of them were pegged inside the 20 yard line. It's worth a 7th to take a shot on a punter at this point. 

Round 7 - #243. Andrew Stueber / OL / Michigan - This is another OL depth piece as we look to find ways to upgrade the unit. Stueber is another guy who is just a massive human at 6'6" and 340lbs, but he has played all over the OL in his college career. Versatility and some ability to work with is all you can ask for at this point in the draft. 

Would be utterly ridiculous to spend a round 1 pick on a WR. That's the one position that Buffalo is stacked in. I would go Guard & CB in rounds 1-2. We need to keep building up this run game. Singletary is finally coming around and we need to get him some help. Just my opinion. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Would be utterly ridiculous to spend a round 1 pick on a WR. That's the one position that Buffalo is stacked in. I would go Guard & CB in rounds 1-2. We need to keep building up this run game. Singletary is finally coming around and we need to get him some help. Just my opinion. 

Again, the premise of this draft is if we had addressed the Defense in FA first. Many people are missing the first thing I said before even listing the picks. :thumbsup:

21 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

I'm always a fan of winning the trenches with huge, nasty, and really ugly OLs and DLs.

If you control the line of scrimmage, you then control the game, it’s always been that way, will always be that way.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Totally on board with Dotson at 25. Beasley is in the last year of his deal and he’s not a threat at all for YAC. Dotson works well in the slot and has speed for days. Great hands and isn’t afraid of contact. Sign me up…

18 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Why go WR RD1? Doesn’t CB make more sense? If we pay $10M in FA we can get a very good starting WR like Christian Kirk or maybe even a TE like Mike Gesicki. If we pay a CB $10M in FA, you’re looking at someone like Levi Wallace. To me, there’s more value in drafting a corner, maybe even two of them and signing a WR in FA.

Imagine if we draft a stud corner like Kaiir Elam or Andrew Booth RD1. Now we have a potential All-Pro on a 5 year rookie deal and by the time we have to pay him, Tre’s deal will run out and we have his replacement handy. 

Or how about if we draft that Zion Johnson kid, the OG from Boston College? Or Tyler Linderbaum? A few things can happen here, we can trade Feliciano and Cody Ford for draft picks while freeing up $5-6M in cap room. So now we can reinvest those picks back into our roster, by drafting young players on cheap rookie contracts and meanwhile we have all that extra cap space to extend guys we like long term.

BPA does pay off so long as you look at BPA from the perspective of both Draft/free agency combined. 

Would you rather:

Scenario 1

or

Scenario 2

Why couldn’t we pay a vet corner in FA?  It works both ways. 

• Dislike 1

19 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Would you rather:

Scenario 1

or

Scenario 2

I'm predicting Kirk to get 15M per year. But I'm with you on scenario 1.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Micah Parsons would like to speak to you 

I’d love to see the overall success rate of players selected from those two schools in the first 4 rounds.  

There will always be a Diamond in the rough, but I’m assuming most wash out and never live up to their potential.  

However, I’m happy to be proven wrong 

If they go for a RB in this years draft i would like to see them go bigger Williams is the same size as the guys they already have i want a RB with a bit more A** !

Isaiah Spiller is 6' 215 lbs and the number 1 RB in this years draft on some boards & if he adds some muscle after his first season he could go upwards of 225 maybe which would be good for short yardage & goal line .

He would also be a compliment to Motor instead of having to backs the same size & skills have 2 different backs for different situations Moss in my opinion needs to go maybe in a trade to get some they want or to move up or down in the draft but he didn't show me a lot last year & i would like to see them move on from him .

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

I’d love to see the overall success rate of players selected from those two schools in the first 4 rounds.  

There will always be a Diamond in the rough, but I’m assuming most wash out and never live up to their potential.  

However, I’m happy to be proven wrong 

Well The Irish oline alone I mean you’re talking Mike Mcclinchy, Quentin Nelson, Zach Martin, and Ronnie Stanley 

Thanks for the in depth analysis, OP. I too would like to see a more Offensive leaning Draft -with a pass rusher & DB added through FA. But I’ll be shocked if we use every pick we have on college players. ‘Beane At Night’ loves and  lives for compiling picks to either trade up or offer in trades.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, H2o said:

Again, the premise of this draft is if we had addressed the Defense in FA first. Many people are missing the first thing I said before even listing the picks. :thumbsup:

I think they need to invest a Day 1-2 draft pick at CB this year…they need to get a bit younger and cheaper in the secondary…and Wallace is likely gone to another team with deeper pockets..

On 2/12/2022 at 10:49 AM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I could see Jameson williams if only because the knee injury might make him drop.  If you think you are getting someone who would be top 10 in another draft at 25, that's the kind of move you make.  

On 2/12/2022 at 6:09 PM, Aussie Joe said:

I think they need to invest a Day 1-2 draft pick at CB this year…they need to get a bit younger and cheaper in the secondary…and Wallace is likely gone to another team with deeper pockets..

Buffalo has gotten pretty solid play from... EJ Gaines, UDFA Levi Wallace, 7th rounder dane jackson, and UDFA Cam Lewis.

You have all-pro caliber play at one DB who was a 1st, and a top paid player.  The Nickel is a really good player in Taron Johnson.  I think you can improve upon CB2, but I don't know that i need 2 1st round picks there when we literally have 1 1st round pick dedicated to the entire offense (2 if you count diggs).  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

Buffalo has gotten pretty solid play from... EJ Gaines, UDFA Levi Wallace, 7th rounder dane jackson, and UDFA Cam Lewis.

You have all-pro caliber play at one DB who was a 1st, and a top paid player.  The Nickel is a really good player in Taron Johnson.  I think you can improve upon CB2, but I don't know that i need 2 1st round picks there when we literally have 1 1st round pick dedicated to the entire offense (2 if you count diggs).  

Yes they have got solid play from those players…

I guess you wait and see how Tre’s recovery is going but I’ve heard it’s likely he will be missing when the 2022 season rolls around ..

His replacement for that position Levi Wallace during the second half of the last season is likely gone elsewhere for $$$…

So if you are looking at your top outside 2 guys from the previous year not being there in your championship hopeful season it’s a problem…

It doesn’t necessarily need to be their Round 1 (pick 25) but if someone is there that they like then I’m not going to cry about it if they pull the trigger because they picked Tre at pick 27 in  2017… 

Otherwise Day 2 may work too… then they actually have a cheap No 2 on a rookie deal with expectations of getting a second contract and to take over from Tre a few years down the track..

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Yes they have got solid play from those players…

I guess you wait and see how Tre’s recovery is going but I’ve heard it’s likely he will be missing when the 2022 season rolls around ..

His replacement for that position Levi Wallace during the second half of the last season is likely gone elsewhere for $$$…

So if you are looking at your top outside 2 guys from the previous year not being there in your championship hopeful season it’s a problem…

It doesn’t necessarily need to be their Round 1 (pick 25) but if someone is there that they like then I’m not going to cry about it if they pull the trigger because they picked Tre at pick 27 in  2017… 

Otherwise Day 2 may work too… then they actually have a cheap No 2 on a rookie deal with expectations of getting a second contract and to take over from Tre a few years down the track..

I agree its a need - and CBs are some of the most important players on a good defense in this era.  But I would like to see it not be in the 1st - unless thats where the value is.  I like to look for someone who is a potential star/all-pro if you're picking late in the first.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.