How many years can Josh be an Elite QB with his playing style?

transplantbillsfan

How long will Josh last playing this way?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. How long will Josh last playing this way?

• 15+ more years and into his 40s... he's a unicorn and an Adonis
    • 10 years and we'll take the 5 year sacrifice for the incredibly unique combination of skillsets!
    • 5 years so git 'er done!!!
    • Josh needs to immediately adjust his playing style... this just can't last
    • Other... explain

23 hours ago, loyal2dagame said:

Everybody talks Cam Newton. I call bullshizzle. Josh compares to Elway. Everybody needs to stop the Cam stuff. Cam had never done what our guy is doing.

I won't take anything from cam in his prime, he was elite. And he tore up his throwing shoulder which led to the dumpster fire that is his passing game now. 

But where joshs game is different is his ability to read and adjust to defenses. He can sit in the pocket and pick teams apart. His rushing ability is infuriating for defenses but if you completely take away joshs rushing ability he's still going to beat you with his arm. When cams rushing game wasn't elite anymore you see where his game went, but like I said before he had some tough injuries that led to his downfall.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/5/2022 at 3:24 AM, GunnerBill said:

Good job Josh isn't a running Quarterback then. 

i think the difference is the amount if running.  Does Josh see an open lane, run, then slide.  But designed or RPO running plays where he batters himself into people as an essential RB have to stop.  Even Romo commented on how much Daboll was running Josh v. KC. One game like that is okay, but it was all season.  Josh has a can on arm, use that and get a battering back. 

On 2/5/2022 at 2:43 PM, BringBackFlutie said:

True.  I was a little confused by that post.  Sure Allen gets down and out of the way more than Cam, but when he knows he needs another yard, he not only stays up, but he punishes whoever tries to tackle him.  Didn't he stiff arm a linebacker out of bounds after a run?

Agreed.  I’m fine with him using his hammer ability for a yard when needed, but he should generally slide.  Brady played till 44 because he slid.  Josh can still gain a ton of yards, move around in the pocket lime Rodgers, and throw a great ball without needing to bash ppl all over running.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/5/2022 at 8:41 AM, Mango said:

So let me start by saying Josh is already better than Cam. 

But they have a lot of similar traits and a similar playing style. The biggest concern is their similarity in how they see defenders as a ball carrier. Josh is a better passer but the physicality in Cams game still had him fall off a cliff. 

Josh has to learn to protect himself sooner rather than later. 

That’s my biggest fear. He goes the way of Cam and suddenly blows because of all the hits he has taken.

Even Allen himself has begun admitting the obvious, that his body takes a beating during the season. I'm sure most of us have heard little mentions in interviews. He's young enough and strong enough and lucky enough thus far to still be effective even when sore and to bounce back in the offseason. But NO ONE escapes the toll that repeated NFL collisions take on the human body (except maybe Adrian Peterson).

We all know that annoying, empty vessel (who wore #12 and recently retired to much fanfare) consistently and sheepishly (and maybe smartly) avoided hits like that other whiner, Marino. Except that one time decades ago. Bless you, Nate Clements. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

i think the difference is the amount if running.  Does Josh see an open lane, run, then slide.  But designed or RPO running plays where he batters himself into people as an essential RB have to stop.  Even Romo commented on how much Daboll was running Josh v. KC. One game like that is okay, but it was all season.  Josh has a can on arm, use that and get a battering back. 

It really wasn't all season. They really only went back the called run game for Josh late in the year.

On 2/5/2022 at 8:17 AM, Chandler#81 said:

Complete rubbish. Tarkenton, Elway, Cunningham, Graham, Vick -the list is long of QBs who ran very well. RBs? I’m not even gonna start the list sans Thurman, Sweetness, Jim Brown. They DO.

How on earth did I miss Elway in this conversation...doh.  Good pull.  Tark was way before my time.

Not sure if a majority of Bills fans have checked out Josh’s present rankings. Let’s say he plays at an excellent level and comparable to the past 2 Seasons. Let’s use the ‘5 good seasons’ bar. Barring injury, he would be at the ripe old age of 30.

Here goes:

ALL TIME TD PASSES- REGULAR SEASON 

2021- Ranked # 134 with 103 TDs

In 5 years, ranked # 18, 35 TDs per year, just behind Johnny Unitas @ 290.

ALL TIME PASSING YARDS- REGULAR SEASON 

2021- Ranked # 164 with 14,114 Yards

In 5 years, ranked # 36, just behind Tony Romo @ 34,000 yards

Here are the cooler ones. The assumption here is that based on the Regular Season performance, Allen is leading the Bills to the Playoffs, to the AFC Championship games and to the obvious possibility of winning 1-2 Super Bowls.

ALL TIME TD PASSING YARDS- PLAYOFFS

2021- Ranked # 45 with 1718. 

Assume just 300 yards per x 15 games. In 5 years, he would presently be ranked # THREE All Time, with 6,200 yards! Behind only Peyton & the GOAT.

( Of course, Rodgers & Mahomes are still rising too- but still.

ALL TIME TD PASSES- PLAYOFFS

2021- Ranked # 30 with 14 TDs. 

Let’s assume a 2.5/ game rate. In 5 years, he would vault to # TWO All Time with about 50 TDs.

What about Rushing, since that’s such a critical component of the Bills Offence and Allen’s own ability to succeed Passing?
And again- he is NOT an RB!

ALL TIME TDs RUSHING- REGULAR SEASON

2021- Ranked # 208 with 31 TDs

Assuming average 6/ would be #50 All Time with 61 TDs. Tieing OJ and only behind Cam Newton with 75 and the # 25 position. 

ALL TIME - RUSHING YARDS- PLAYOFFS

2021- Presently ranked well below # 50 with 371 yards.

Assuming the Bills want to reduce the per game average, to ensure he’s healthy, let’s assume 60/ He immediately becomes the ALL TIME QB Playoff Rusher with 671, eclipsing Steve Young at 594 and # 21. Thurman is # 3 with 1442.

Simply astonishing! 

At 30, coupled with Playoff winning success, on his way to being the best of the best... EVER!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.