How many years can Josh be an Elite QB with his playing style?

transplantbillsfan

How long will Josh last playing this way?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. How long will Josh last playing this way?

• 15+ more years and into his 40s... he's a unicorn and an Adonis
    • 10 years and we'll take the 5 year sacrifice for the incredibly unique combination of skillsets!
    • 5 years so git 'er done!!!
    • Josh needs to immediately adjust his playing style... this just can't last
    • Other... explain

34 minutes ago, klos63 said:

While he takes more hits than most QB's because of his running, he doesn't initiate the hits like Cam did, i think that did him in, and he doesn't really take hard hits. Hopefully, he continues to get better at avoiding the big hits.

He's different than most QBs that run, like Jordan Palmer said, he's the greatest athlete to play QB. That will make him stand out above the others.

He takes some big hits now and again.  He often initiates hits too!  He will often choose to slam into a defender as opposed to some other option.

But it's not about his body breaking down over time from being hit!  He will just naturally slow down as all athletes do with aging and his current "full service" game will go away at some point.  Or at least will diminish.

As I said up thread, I think he has more than 5 years at peak Josh, but less than 10.

I can't imagine him playing to this level when he's 35 years old.  Not with the running component at least.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Josh Allen has now been an Elite QB for 2 years. He's going to be 26 by next season.

I love him. He can have my babies... and I'm a dude.

Regardless, even though he sure as hell seems like Superman... he's not. 

I watch Josh Allen and firmly believe this team will win multiple Super Bowls with him as our QB regardless, but how long will he last playing the way he has played the last 2 years? I say 2 years because I think these last 2 years were about the sweet spot of the run/pass ratio.

So what do you guys think about how long he can last with this playing style?

And for some references as far as some notable "running" QBs compared with JA over the career and 2020-2021 run% of total QB plays.

Josh Allen (4 years): 21.1% (but it's been 27.8% the last 2 years)

Russell Wilson (10 year): 17.9%

Mike Vick (13 years with 2 year hiatus): 27.1%

Cam Newton (11 years): 25%

Steve Young (15 years): 17.4%

Randall Cunningham (16 years): 18%

Lamar Jackson (4 years): 46.3%

John Elway (16 years): 10.7%

Rg3 (7 years): 24.2%

I look at all of this and wonder if our Super Bowl window without adjustment is 5 years. I don't think this will be a huge problem because he's smart and is incredibly well built physically.

Still makes you wonder if he will last til he's 40.

I think they need to stop calling designed QB runs unless it’s a huge game in playoffs or Super Bowl or division clinching game. No more called designed runs during season basically. Only let him run on scrambles because that’s when he can find open lanes and protect himself by sliding.

If we keep using Josh the way we do he won’t last past 33yrs old.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, QCity said:

Running quarterbacks don't last. They don't. No amount of homer wishful thinking is going to change that. Running backs don't last in this league. Pretending that RG3 lasted 7 years is delusional. Dorsey needs to fix the running game or we'll be talking about Josh lasting until he's 30, not 40.

That's not all true because there's never been a quarterback like Josh 

None of these running quarterbacks could throw like Josh or were physically built like him

Both of those give him the advantage.. he's much much bigger then Michael Vick or Randall Cunningham or RG3.. he's a much better thrower of the football too 

You bring up running backs.. the cliff for running backs is usually considered 2,000 carries... That's when they fall off

Josh is at 400.. he literally has 15 years before he would ever even get close to hitting that number

Sure Josh is a good runner so he does run .. he doesn't run as much as running backs.. and he's not taking as much as a beating 

Besides the league has never seen a player like Josh Allen.. he will be the mold that other teams are looking for

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, QCity said:

Running quarterbacks don't last. They don't. No amount of homer wishful thinking is going to change that. Running backs don't last in this league. Pretending that RG3 lasted 7 years is delusional. Dorsey needs to fix the running game or we'll be talking about Josh lasting until he's 30, not 40.

What's gotta help Josh at least a bit is his physique. None of the running QBs I can think of other than Cam Newton are big and strong like him. He said in an interview a few weeks ago he's playing at 245.

Now yes, Newton is essentially outta the league, but ironically it's because he basically has a dead arm and has lost any passing ability he once had. He's still a pretty excellent runner even at 32 and as far as I can recall he hasn't been too injury ridden over his career (if at all...?) while running.

Generally Josh's running style also doesn't lend itself as much to the dreaded non-contact ACL/MCL tears like Lamar or Rg3. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

What's gotta help Josh at least a bit is his physique. None of the running QBs I can think of other than Cam Newton are big and strong like him. He said in an interview a few weeks ago he's playing at 245.

Now yes, Newton is essentially outta the league, but ironically it's because he basically has a dead arm and has lost any passing ability he once had. He's still a pretty excellent runner even at 32 and as far as I can recall he hasn't been too injury ridden over his career (if at all...?) while running.

Generally Josh's running style also doesn't lend itself as much to the dreaded non-contact ACL/MCL tears like Lamar or Rg3. 

Yep exactly 

Cam's issue is not his running ability.. it's he has a dead arm 

Physically Josh is built like Tim Tebow.. who was also a powerful runner in the NFL .. he just couldn't throw a football

Josh can run like Tim Tebow and throw a football like John elway.. I've been saying it for 2 years he is the most dynamic player in the league and basically there isn't a game plan to stop him yet

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Are you freakin' kidding me?  Beane disagrees with you and so do my eyeballs.

I do think over the last 3 years, Josh is working to get down or get out of bounds more and initiate contact less, but he absolutely initiates hits at times.

Hopefully Beane learned something from how Cam was handled on the Panthers, and will try to invest more in the OL and the skill positions than the Panthers did.

I said he doesn't initiate hits like Cam, you said he 'absolutely initiates hits at times' - that doesn't counter my statement.  Cam would try to run through defenders, Allen doesn't do that.

Josh needs to adjust with the help of his OC.   No designed runs except in deep run playoff games.  He will learn this stype progressively, it won't  come overnight.  Hihs receivers need to be on their game to help his succeed at that more classic QB role.  He has the arm to be a classic drop back type imho.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I said he doesn't initiate hits like Cam, you said he 'absolutely initiates hits at times' - that doesn't counter my statement.  Cam would try to run through defenders, Allen doesn't do that.

*blink* are we watching the same games?  This isn't exhaustive, it's just a quick Youtube grab

2021 (3:29 if link doesn't timestamp correctly)

Division playoff

Those are just a few notable ones, but there were others this season.

As Beane himself noted, "I want him to get down, he wants to run someone over....he's a QB with the mentality of a linebacker"

Beane doesn't say that if Allen doesn't truck people

Now whether he trucks people as much as Cam did...can't tell you that.  But he absolutely tries to run people over at times.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He absolutely does at times…. He injured one of KCs corners by doing exactly that.

True.  I was a little confused by that post.  Sure Allen gets down and out of the way more than Cam, but when he knows he needs another yard, he not only stays up, but he punishes whoever tries to tackle him.  Didn't he stiff arm a linebacker out of bounds after a run?

1 minute ago, BringBackFlutie said:

True.  I was a little confused by that post.  Sure Allen gets down and out of the way more than Cam, but when he knows he needs another yard, he not only stays up, but he punishes whoever tries to tackle him.  Didn't he stiff arm a linebacker out of bounds after a run?

He stiff arms guys on a regular basis. 

The 2nd clip I showed above, Allen "tow-trucked" a would be tackler, basically hauling him down after himself as he went out of bounds. 3:29 in.

Beane says he's improving, but he still tries to run over guys.  Again, can't comment on how often vs how often Newton did it, didn't make a study.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He stiff arms guys on a regular basis. 

The 2nd clip I showed above, Allen "tow-trucked" a would be tackler, basically hauling him down after himself as he went out of bounds. 3:29 in.

Beane says he's improving, but he still tries to run over guys.  Again, can't comment on how often vs how often Newton did it, didn't make a study.

Not interested in arguing with you, but my point was that he didn't do it as often as Cam. I don't expect you to make a study, but then you probably shouldn't just dismiss my comment if you don't really know. You're making this something it isn't. I never said he doesn't, just said not as much, as I think this is what hurt Cam's career more than anything.  That's all.

3 hours ago, MJS said:

So you are speculating that he would not have torn his shoulder if he had not accumulated hits in previous games?

I think that is impossible to determine.

So, running backs last as long as other players?

Come on Brother. More hits are not a good thing for a franchise QB. 

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I may be "out of the loop" but wasn't it felt that Cam's shoulder injuries were initiated and aggrevated by lowering his shoulder on runs?

I could be completely wrong

Steve Young was a pretty good running QB,  until he got smashed in the head a coupla times and couldnt play anymore.

every player is one injury away from the end.  depends on the injury.    

for longevities sake,  he'll have to give up the physical stuff,  sooner rather than later.

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Not interested in arguing with you,

Then WTF are you down with here

but my point was that he didn't do it as often as Cam.

Incorrect.  You started  out saying this:

3 hours ago, klos63 said:

While he takes more hits than most QB's because of his running, he doesn't initiate the hits like Cam did

Nothing about how often.  Just that Josh doesn't initiate hits like Cam did.  I pointed out that is not true, Josh does initiate hits.

Then you went to this:

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

I point out that Allen absolutely tries to run through defenders at times, as well as stiff-arming them and tow-trucking them.  I gave examples.

Now you claim your point was "he didn't do it as often as Cam" when in fact, that wasn't a point you made in either of the posts I responded to, but rather a caveat I volunteered.

I don't expect you to make a study, but then you probably shouldn't just dismiss my comment if you don't really know. You're making this something it isn't. I never said he doesn't, just said not as much, as I think this is what hurt Cam's career more than anything.  That's all.

It's highly disingenuous to say something, have it countered, and then attack the person who is debating with you and claim they're arguing a point you "never said" when in fact, they're disputing your exact words, correctly quoted.

I normally respect you as a poster, but this ain't right.  At the very least, acknowledge you didn't write in a way that made your intended point very clearly, if your intended point was "oh yeah, actually Allen does do both, just not as much"

Allen absolutely initiates contact and runs people over.  Beane knows it.  Beane talks about getting on Allen's case about it, presumably because he's well aware of its potential to shorten or dampen Allen's career, so hopefully Allen will continue to curtail that aspect of his game.  That's all.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.