Home Field Advantage & #1 seed…

LabattBlue

13 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

FTFY.  Coaching competence was a much bigger factor in our road playoff losses than the venue itself.

The 1990 Bills choked in SB XXV.

The McDermott Bills have all been underdogs in their losses...........so not a choke.

Homefield is still worth 1.5-3 points to Vegas.

Learn it or be wrong.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The only goal that matters...Super Bowl.  I don't care about the #1 seed that much.  Sure if we can get it, great, but I am not going to lose sleep over getting it or not either.

We can win without the top seed, but I sure would like home games! Our fans matter, just like in KC. 

Having said that, if Aaron Rodgers has to come to the AFC, I wouldn’t mind it being with the Broncos to steal a game or two each season away from the Chiefs and Raiders. The Cheats* got home field far too often because they owned the AFCE while other divisions cannibalized themselves. 

• Agree 1

On 1/28/2022 at 1:09 PM, BTB said:

The regular season goal for 2022 and beyond is the #1 seed and home field advantage through the playoffs.  

I don’t care that the two #1 seeds lost in the division round(because of the bye, blah blah blah), or the number of road teams winning in the playoffs recently.  

To think if they didn’t have 4th quarter fails against Jax, Pats and/or Titans…😞

On 1/28/2022 at 2:12 PM, ProcessTruster said:

Agree.  From 2010 to 2020, the home team wins Conf Champ game 68% of the time by an average of 2 scores.  Nuf said.  

Only traditional football meathead types who think analytics are for idiots would disagree with this! 

We could have and should have been the #1 seed THIS YEAR and it probably would have made a difference.

Would love to see us do it next year.

On 1/28/2022 at 1:13 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

The only goal that matters...Super Bowl.  I don't care about the #1 seed that much.  Sure if we can get it, great, but I am not going to lose sleep over getting it or not either.

I mean, it serves that goal so it’s a good mid way target 

55 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It’s the goal, but it’s not an excuse if you don’t reach the AFCC game. Only one team gets the bye and for the second straight year at least one of those teams will not make the Super Bowl. Overrated. 

Overrated, yes I agree.  But I think it means SOMETHING, even if it is something small.

I don't think it is much of a detriment.  As we all hear all the time, by the end of the season most teams have bumps and bruises, and one more week to rest is certainly a lot better than no week to rest WITH another week to accumulate injuries.

Plus, there is always a chance that a key player is going to have one of those 2-4 week injuries...and having the bye week might be at the right time to get them back for the first playoff game vs not.

Home field advantage means something, but I think it really means a lot less than it used to.  If for the last few decades we were told it was wroth 3 or 3.5 points...I think in reality it may me 1 or 1.5  STILL, I'd rather have it than not.

Edited by mjd1001

On 1/28/2022 at 1:13 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

I like it because you only have to play two games to get to the super bowl. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love for the Bills to GET a bye. But it’s tougher than it used to be and I think it’s possible with the AFC QBs that the Bills only manage to get it or once / twice or even never throughout Allen’s career. Can’t be a requirement in order to reach a Super Bowl or host an AFCC game. They were the 3 and absolutely should have hosted AFCC today. Have to fight and get there regardless of seeding. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.