Chiefs have a TON of UFA's heading into next year and only 21m in cap space...they could have some issues

Big Turk

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We beat the chiefs in week 4 without Milano.  Doesn’t mean we don’t need him does it? 

That’s different.  You’re paying Milano, so not getting production from him means wasted money.  Mathieu is already expensive.  Letting him walk (which I expect will happen) frees up dollars to pay his replacement.  It would be one thing if he was on a rookie deal and wanted big money, but he’s a $20,000,000 cap hit this season.  He’s a great player, but he’s about to hit age 30 and I think the KC brass will use that money on a younger player(s).

7 minutes ago, Billl said:

I don’t know if you’ve recorded the games and are still trying to get caught up so I’ll try not to give too much away, but you might not want to write off their season just yet.

Because they got injured defenders back and added Ingram.  What is going to happen if their defense is just bad due to not having he horses anymore is what I am saying.

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yes… we prioritize depth. They load up on stars while taking a hit at depth… they are 3-1 against us the last two years, guess who’s plan is better? 

Last 3 game score is 100 to 98. We are close. You need depth for the injury bug, last year we were dinged up this past season not as bad. There has to be enough to keep you afloat, but you lose that luxury when you have good and great players to pay.

I'm on the record of not being in love with the DL rotation, it's a waste of money and cap space imo...

The big choice(s) KC is going to have to make are who among Brown, Charvarious Ward and Honey Badger, will they keep and who can they afford out of that group?

My guess is that Brown will sign or get tagged.  They'd prefer to get a deal done so they can structure it as opposed to the tag wich is a lump sum hit on the cap.

Ward (who is better than alot of fans in KC and outside KC will ever admit) is going to get PAID.  KC won't be able to afford him.  He's been a GREAT bargain for what he's been.  We'll all know what the league really thinks of him when you see the bonkers contract he ends up with.

Badger....there is mutual interest, but the $$$ might not work.  If they can't work out something the team can live with for the cap...KC has his replacement on the Roster in my opinion...they'd just move Sneed to Safety...wich is what he played in college...he can blitz, he can play slot and he can play S.  He's on a rookie deal and they will be fine there.

Hitchens will be gone and can't go soon enough.....he makes the team worse when he's on the field....and his contract has SUCKED!

Clark will be gone as well because he cost too much...he's a good player, but not a super star...and he's been paid, and would be owed superstar money if he's still on the roster....KC will need to find a cheaper, but adequate replacement.

I like not signing players who are about to get old, but one guy that I am willing to bust the bank back open for one more time is Tyreek Hill.  That guy is a physical freak of nature who is just built different...I believe he'll remain productive into his mid 30's.

All things that KC has to think about....it does get a little harder as Mahomes number starts to increase now.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Billl said:

That’s different.  You’re paying Milano, so not getting production from him means wasted money.  Mathieu is already expensive.  Letting him walk (which I expect will happen) frees up dollars to pay his replacement.  It would be one thing if he was on a rookie deal and wanted big money, but he’s a $20,000,000 cap hit this season.  He’s a great player, but he’s about to hit age 30 and I think the KC brass will use that money on a younger player(s).

That’s not different. He said that the chiefs didn’t need him to beat us because they beat us without him.  We beat KC without Milano…..under the same assumption, we don’t need Milano. 

the comments have nothing to do with contracts.  You’re looking at this in a completely different context than what I was replying too

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Because they got injured defenders back and added Ingram.  What is going to happen if their defense is just bad due to not having he horses anymore is what I am saying.

Then you draft new horses.  Gay, Sneed, Thornhill, Bolton, Danna, Wharton, and Ward are all on rookie contracts.  That’s 5 starters and 2 rotational DL guys who make next to nothing.  Mathieu, Clark, Jones, and Hitchens are the big money guys on defense.  Jones is worth every penny.  Mathieu is great but possibly declining and is a FA.  Clark and Hitchens are washed and will both be gone next year.  That is a ton of money that can be put to better use elsewhere.  

This is why drafting is so critical.  I’m not the least bit concerned that our young players will be good.  They already are.  I could point to Buffalo and ask what you’re going to do about your Safeties who are the strength of your defense but are both on the wrong side of 30.  How are you going to get cheaper when picks like Epenesa, Basham, and Moss barely see the field?

Maintaining success in the NFL isn’t about how much money and draft capital you spend.  It’s about how much bang you get for your buck.

Even if they don't resign a single player on that list they are still in a very enviable position heading forward if anything because of how well they've drafted.

In the last 2 years alone they've found Nick Bolton, Creed Humphrey, Willie Gay and Lajeerus Sneed in the draft.

None of these guys were 1st rounders, in fact unlike the Bills the Chiefs seem to strike gold with their 2nd round picks as all the aforementioned players were drafted there minus Sneed.

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Meh. They need to re-sign Orlando Brown, and they will. Other than that, guys are replaceable. This past offseason they replaced all 5 offensive linemen and some defensive players and they were fine. The just beat us without Honey Badger. 

They beat us on a coin flip .. and while they were about Honey badger .. we were without Tre .. Tre would have been more impactful in that game than the Hone Badger IMO.

31 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

They beat us on a coin flip .. and while they were about Honey badger .. we were without Tre .. Tre would have been more impactful in that game than the Hone Badger IMO.

The guy filling in for Mathieu literally tripped and fell down while standing still on 4th and 13 leaving Davis all alone in the end zone.  Davis had 4 TDs and over 200 yards receiving.  I don’t know how much more a team could possibly be impacted by the loss of a DB.

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I always forget how old Kelce is.

Honestly, without him, they're a completely different team.  I don't think the Bills & Chiefs are apples-to-apples in terms of the stage they're at, or their development.  McD is a lot younger than Reid, and the Bills are younger than the Chiefs.

The Chiefs could stay on top of the AFC if they draft well, but this is probably as good as they'll be. They're in the middle of their window; we're starting ours.

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Their depth has taken a hit every year. It'll weaken even more. They'll still have Mahomes, Kelce, Hill. We'll still have to score 35+ to  win if we play in KC.

Bills have to get the #1 seed next year.

The Chiefs just had three of their 2021 draft picks — C Creed Humphrey, RG Trey Smith, LB Nick Bolton — selected to the PFWA All Rookie Team. That's 3 players out of 22 that were picked, more than any other team. Five AFC teams, including the Bills, had zero players picked.

They have Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Hardman, Clyde, Thuney and soon to be Orlando Brown locked up offensively for 2022. Smith and Humphrey are on rookie deals. Realistically, they'll need to identify a new WR if they decide to part ways with Byron Pringle or Demarcus Robinson. There should be zero drop off on offense.

Defensively, I would agree it gets a bit trickier. But they will be able to keep all the players they want for the most part.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Lots of starters on their roster are UFA's, especially on D. That extra 3rd round pick could come in handy for them.

image.thumb.png.e1c223f1e6f25f71a569f7107ead7d05.png

As someone pointed out in the Beane presser thread, they have only 38 players under contract with that $22 mil in cap space, so their situation is even worse.  By the time they get to 51 signed players for the cap, they'll probably only have about $10 mil left.

1 hour ago, Success said:

I always forget how old Kelce is.

Honestly, without him, they're a completely different team.  I don't think the Bills & Chiefs are apples-to-apples in terms of the stage they're at, or their development.  McD is a lot younger than Reid, and the Bills are younger than the Chiefs.

The Chiefs could stay on top of the AFC if they draft well, but this is probably as good as they'll be. They're in the middle of their window; we're starting ours.

https://overthecap.com/2021-season-preview-the-nfls-youngest-and-oldest-rosters/

1 hour ago, Billl said:

The guy filling in for Mathieu literally tripped and fell down while standing still on 4th and 13 leaving Davis all alone in the end zone.  Davis had 4 TDs and over 200 yards receiving.  I don’t know how much more a team could possibly be impacted by the loss of a DB.

Really? You don't?  You missed that while Tre being on IR directly resulted in Hill going OFF?  7 for 63 in the first meeting with a healthy Tre... And If I recall it was KC defense that wasn't up to snuff for that contest?  Or are we going to move some goal posts and say the team playing in it's 4th AFCCG in as many years' offense wasn't ready to play, by week FIVE?

Tre is out there, Chiefs lose a one-sided game just like they did in week 5. It's that simple. Bills avg 37 points against KC in the two meetings, Tre is a shut down corner, and he would've done just that to the literal piece of human trash that is Tyreek Hill.

Tre White > Honey Badger, not even close.

1 hour ago, Success said:

Talking more key players.

I get that you want to think KC will dominate for years, but it's about to be Buffalo's show. Take advantage this year.

Kelce is the only offensive starter over 27.  Kansas City just drafted 3 players that made the all rookie team, and their first pick was 58th.  Davis’s incredible performance notwithstanding, I don’t know that Beane has ever drafted a single impact player who wasn’t a top 10 pick.

He’s brought in some good talent in trading a haul for Diggs (age 29), signing Beasley (age 33), Sanders (age 35), and Star (age 32), but they aren’t exactly youngsters.  If you’re going to steal the show, you’re going to have to hope guys like Epenesa, Singletary, Moss, Edmunds, and Rousseau step it up.  It gets tougher to find talented players when you aren’t flush with draft picks you acquired from passing on Mahomes.

4 hours ago, Billl said:

It’s all about drafting well.  The Chiefs drafted 4 starters in 2020 (RB, LB, RT, and #1 CB) and 3 so far from 2021 (LB, C, G) without a first round pick.  They’ve got a lot of expensive players, but they’re offset by young players on rookie contracts.

Rosters get expensive when high draft picks don’t get a lot of snaps.  Veach/Reid have done a good on getting day 1 starters despite not having a top 30 pick since Mahomes.

How are your Pats looking?

4 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

The big choice(s) KC is going to have to make are who among Brown, Charvarious Ward and Honey Badger, will they keep and who can they afford out of that group?

My guess is that Brown will sign or get tagged.  They'd prefer to get a deal done so they can structure it as opposed to the tag wich is a lump sum hit on the cap.

Ward (who is better than alot of fans in KC and outside KC will ever admit) is going to get PAID.  KC won't be able to afford him.  He's been a GREAT bargain for what he's been.  We'll all know what the league really thinks of him when you see the bonkers contract he ends up with.

Badger....there is mutual interest, but the $$$ might not work.  If they can't work out something the team can live with for the cap...KC has his replacement on the Roster in my opinion...they'd just move Sneed to Safety...wich is what he played in college...he can blitz, he can play slot and he can play S.  He's on a rookie deal and they will be fine there.

Hitchens will be gone and can't go soon enough.....he makes the team worse when he's on the field....and his contract has SUCKED!

Clark will be gone as well because he cost too much...he's a good player, but not a super star...and he's been paid, and would be owed superstar money if he's still on the roster....KC will need to find a cheaper, but adequate replacement.

I like not signing players who are about to get old, but one guy that I am willing to bust the bank back open for one more time is Tyreek Hill.  That guy is a physical freak of nature who is just built different...I believe he'll remain productive into his mid 30's.

All things that KC has to think about....it does get a little harder as Mahomes number starts to increase now.

Eh, Hill was already getting banged up this year at times. To think he will be at this elite speed into his mid 30’s is to think like a blind loyalist to your team. I have never seen one offensive player in the NFL keep his speed at that age. Hill will have a sharp decline. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.