Allen/McDermott = Manning/Dungy

uticaclub

56 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I can see the comparison but a better comparison is John Elway who was basically a one man gang with the 80s Broncos teams only to watch other teams celebrate in blowout Super Bowl losses 

That changed when Mike Shannahan came in and said John you don’t have to do it yourself I think McDermott sees that now a little earlier then Dungy did 

Perfect comparison!

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

2021 Defense Ranking: #1

2020 Defense Ranking: #13

2019 Defense Ranking: #3

2018 Defense Ranking: #2

I don't remember Dungy ever putting a top 3 defense on the field for Peyton.

McDermott has done it 3 out of the last 4 years.

They had the #1 defense the year they won the Super Bowl & #2 in 2005.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

You been posting arrogant nonsense stuff all day. 

Does that disagree with you?  I'll see to it that all of his posts are deleted ASAP.

😂

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

I just have this sick feeling that we will never get over the hump with McDermott. The man deserves a lot of credit for changing things at One Bills Drive (even though I thought we were on our way with Rexy, just can't win consistently with Tyrod), but McDermott like Dungy will prevent their team from being a true dynasty. Peyton Manning was the one the best QBs of all time and when we drafted Allen even his biggest supporters didn't think he would get Manning comparisons, but  he's earned that. Manning got to 1 Super Bowl during the prime of his career because Dungy was a lousy game day coach, Manning then went to 3 in the twilight of his career sans Dungy. We are going to win a lot of regular season games, beat up weak opponents then routinely get outcoached in the playoffs.  

The fanbase is currently divided by those who more or less agree with you, and those who think this is foolish.

Why?  Because not enough time has passed yet to make this determination, especially for the fans who disagree with you.

When will this change and when will the fanbase be more united?  When enough time passes and we still haven't made it to a SB appearance.

Another couple years of a playoff loss and many more fans will slide to your side of the spectrum!

Then again, if we win a SB, the whole issue becomes moot and that's great!

Wait a while!  If we continue to lose in the playoffs, pre-SB, the issue of whether or not McDermott should go will get a LOT more interesting.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Colts only won 1 Super Bowl because of Tom Brady. It didn't matter who the Colts coach was. All of the hate McDermott is getting is leaving out the part that Patrick Mahomes et al are really good. McDermott has made tactical errors, but he has made a number of mistakes his first couple of years and has certainly shown he has learned from them. He will learn from this and be better. Yeah it should have never happened, and if it happens again, see ya later. There has to a growth mindset and an understanding that there is a process and people get better. 

They will pivot a bit and do more to surround Josh with better players and continue to develop our own. That's my 2 cents. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

54 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Dungy was a great coach who ran into Belichick and Brady in their primes. 

Brady's done, and Bill is 70.

There's nobody like that now. Chiefs are great but those Patriot teams got into peoples' heads. 

If McD and Allen go to 4 Super Bowls and win 2 I think we'd be pretty happy. 

I agree...but the Chiefs are 100% in this team's head. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Geez people are over reacting. Most teams having hard time stopping the Chiefs offense. They been to like now 4 straight championship game. Team to beat. Teams had a short time successby rushing 4. Chiefs fixed there own o-line and going 13-17 plays to score and wear d down.

Seems like you're agreeing with the OP, then.  Aren't you?

I'm incredibly fearful the OP's analogy is accurate.  I hope it's not and I'm not ready to make that conclusion yet because I think Allen can take over a game even more than Manning could as he only now (CRAZY!!!) enters his prime.  And I mean that.  

However, we play in the same conference as the Chiefs and what you've just said here makes the Bills the Colts of the early to mid 2000s to Brady/Belicheck's Patriots.

Now, what I think is fortunate for us is the fact that we play in the AFC East.  And at least as of this moment, Allen looks like he's getting a situation with the AFC East like Brady had for years where it's one of the weaker divisions in Football.  The Chiefs, by contrast, will have at least one other Elite QB to play in division in Herbert, if not 2 with Carr also in there and playing at a high level.  Plus the Broncos seem like a generally aggressive organization ready to go out and get a QB.

McDermott and Allen are 3-0 in the playoffs at home and 0-3 on the road.  Get homefield advantage next year and I think we'll have our answer in the playoffs as to whether Allen is just the #2 behind Mahomes in the Conference or if he can truly compete with or even surpass him.

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Seems like you're agreeing with the OP, then.  Aren't you?

I'm incredibly fearful the OP's analogy is accurate.  I hope it's not and I'm not ready to make that conclusion yet because I think Allen can take over a game even more than Manning could as he only now (CRAZY!!!) enters his prime.  And I mean that.  

However, we play in the same conference as the Chiefs and what you've just said here makes the Bills the Colts of the early to mid 2000s to Brady/Belicheck's Patriots.

Now, what I think is fortunate for us is the fact that we play in the AFC East.  And at least as of this moment, Allen looks like he's getting a situation with the AFC East like Brady had for years where it's one of the weaker divisions in Football.  The Chiefs, by contrast, will have at least one other Elite QB to play in division in Herbert, if not 2 with Carr also in there and playing at a high level.  Plus the Broncos seem like a generally aggressive organization ready to go out and get a QB.

McDermott and Allen are 3-0 in the playoffs at home and 0-3 on the road.  Get homefield advantage next year and I think we'll have our answer in the playoffs as to whether Allen is just the #2 behind Mahomes in the Conference or if he can truly compete with or even surpass him.

Allen didn't need homefield. He led the Bills to the "win" in Arrowhead. Only boneheaded stupidity prevented the Bengals at Bills this week.

Just now, Greg S said:

Allen didn't need homefield. He led the Bills to the "win" in Arrowhead. Only boneheaded stupidity prevented the Bengals at Bills this week.

Allen doesn't, but I think McDermott, the coaching staff, and the Defense did.

And unfortunately, even though Wins and Losses are a team sport and this Loss was more on those other entities, many will judge Allen as clearly 2nd to Mahomes until he beats Mahomes in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The saying is "Win 1 before I die", not "win 4 in the next 8 years or you're all failures".

I'll take 1. If we get more, great. But I just need 1.

We might not get one if we waste opportunities like this year's team. This was the last year of Allen's rookie deal.

I’m going to give McDermott the benefit of the doubt for now. One thing that I find very encouraging is how aggressive he became this season with the offenses.

I think he learned his lesson in last year’s playoff game settling for two field goals against the Chiefs.

No doubt the defense was a disaster in the final 13 seconds in overtime. And he also may have been playing scared when he opted to not squib kick. 

He learned this season to not play scared with the offense . So hopefully he’s learned now to also not play scared with the defense and special teams.

6 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

We might not get one if we waste opportunities like this year's team. This was the last year of Allen's rookie deal.

Ok? 

1/4 teams left in the playoffs have QBs on a rookie deal (Burrow). 

Back it up to the divisional round and 2/8 teams had QBs on rookie deals (Burrow and Allen). 

Give me a break with that *****. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, uticaclub said:

I just have this sick feeling

Probably your diet.

3 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

he also may have been playing scared when he opted to not squib kick. 

I think it’s pretty much a given at this point that McD called for a squib and there was a colossal miscommunication that led to Bass not knowing that was the call.  While the overall result is still on McD, it’s a different problem than one of a “bad decision.”

Edited by eball

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.