Jags Finalizing deal with Byron Leftwich [Edit: Or Not]

BuffaloBillyG

Seems like a good choice on many levels.  Has had success as an OC with multiple organizations over a number of years, street-cred from having played in the league for many years, is a former QB, so can relate to Lawrence, played for the team, so a known personality locally, etc.

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

This is a good move for Klahn Town... Also makes me wonder if it give Brady more reason to retire not wanting to install a whole new offense?

What new offense? Any offensive coordinator is going to run the same offense they have.. and you an rest assured, Brady has a huge say in it. 

Obviously a lot of what goes into coaching is behind the scenes stuff that we aren't privy to, but I think Leftwich has everything you could really look for in a coach, at least from an outside perspective. I think he has the right temperament for the job too. Hopefully he can get Lawrence headed in the right direction after a mostly disastrous rookie season.

4 hours ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

Cool to see such another recent former player being promoted to head coach.

The league doesn't care how old you are or how much experience you have, they'll give you a chance.  

I'd like to see Deion in the league some day

LOL!! He would want new uniforms which glowed in the dark.  He'd have to find a DC willing to implement the "no tackle" defense he prefers.

On 1/26/2022 at 9:45 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

So the latest seems to be that they are interviewing Leftwich again in person, on Tuesday

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/byron-leftwich-to-interview-for-jaguars-coaching-job-tuesday-this-time-in-person/ar-AAT6oL3

https://www.yahoo.com/now/gene-frenette-byron-leftwich-wait-180952958.html

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/report-jaguars-and-leftwich-not-closing-in-on-an-agreement

According to a report from NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Jaguars are not close to a deal with Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Byron Leftwich, whom many presume to be the leading favorite to replace Meyer. As Rapoport explained on 'The Pat McAfee show, any reports on Thursday of the Jaguars inching closer to a deal with 

"Byron Leftwich is, as of right now, not the head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars. And believe me, I have made many, many calls on this the last couple of days," Rapoport said on Friday. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/byron-leftwich-will-be-patient-as-he-climbs-the-coaching-ladder/ar-AATfYra

It’s no surprise that Leftwich has interviewed for several head coaching jobs. He’s a finalist in Jacksonville, where he was a first-round pick of the Jaguars in 2003. The Saints also have asked for permission to interview Leftwich.

But don’t expect him to jump at just any head coaching job. He has said he plans to be patient.

“Even though I’m a coach, I think I deal with things as a player,” Leftwich told the Tampa Bay Times earlier this season. “And what I mean by that is I’m not looking for the next job. I’m not trying to elevate myself or push myself. I’m not a 22-year-old trying to climb the ladder. I coach because I love coaching and I want to help the player.

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Jags Finalizing deal with Byron Leftwich [Edit: Or Not]

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.