60 members have voted

1. 1. How to fix (select one)?

• It works fine the way it is
    • CBS: The spot-and-choose rule
    • CBS: The field goal gamble
    • CBS: The simple proposal: Both teams get the ball
    • As long as Bills lose I am happy because I bet against the Bills

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

As I have said repeatedly, in playoff football against elite qbs, it is not a fair fight. Defenses are exhausted.

Yep. Which is why I’m convinced our offense would have scored against an exhausted KC defense as well. While “tired” may be an explanation, it is not an excuse; defense still needs to be played, regardless. 

• Like (+1) 1

I didn't read the whole thread, so apologize if this was already posted.

I am sure there are plenty of ways how to improve current rules, which are clearly not fair. But if NFL is lazy to adopt something more complicated, I really like what I read from Adam Schein on nfl.com today - just get rid of cointoss, and add overtime possession into the initial pregame coinflip. Whoever gets the ball in second half (or first, for that matter), gets it in the overtime.

It is still not 100% fair, but at least you know what happens when overtime comes and you can adjust your strategy.

But like I said, I am sure there are still much better ways how to solve this.

With only small changes, the overtime process has been in place for a while now.  Is it perfect?  Certainly not.  The league has decided they don't want to have games last as long as a full extra "quarter" and they don't like games to end in a tie.  Anything else is going to carry some risk of being less than perfectly fair.  In a game like the Bills - Chiefs, as well as the offenses were playing, Winning the coin flip was almost the same as winning the game.  There are other ways to do an overtime, but there are drawbacks to any of them.  Buffalo's best chance to win was preventing Mahomes for moving the ball far enough to kick a FG with 13 seconds left.  I think there were strategies Buffalo could have used to give them better odds.

20 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

My theory is that the coin toss doesn't matter so much in a Jax-vs.-Carolina or WFT-vs.-Giants OT regular season game. The offenses just aren't good and struggle to move the ball via the air. In the NFL playoffs, practically all the teams are good, and most have excellent QBs who can surgically dissect tired defenses. There's just a huge quality gap between run of the mill teams and a much narrower field heavily populated by the likes of Mahomes, Brady, Allen, Rodgers, Russell Wilson, etc. 

Yeah that could be I suppose.  But at the same time you would think better defenses as well (sundays game notwithstanding ;) )

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Yep. Which is why I’m convinced our offense would have scored against an exhausted KC defense as well. While “tired” may be an explanation, it is not an excuse; defense still needs to be played, regardless. 

Yup, no doubt in my mind if Bills won coin toss they would have gotten the TD. However shouldn't even have come to that, I'll never understand why (Frazier I assume) would call that B.S defense with 13 on the clock and KC with all time outs...

I was SCREAMING for squib kick off, that didn't happen, so started SCREAMING "WTF are they doing" when seeing the Defense. I'm still not over this one, total punch in the gut. Coaching really let everyone down 

12 hours ago, Paulus said:

It has happened like 7 times. It just happened to the Chiefs a couple of years ago.

Hell, it happened to the Falcons in their OT loss to the Patriots in 2017.

Chiefs lose AFCC to Pats on a coin flip...

Falcons lose SB to Pats on a coin flip...

Damn Pats still winning.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.