A Few Composed Thoughts After The Chiefs

corta765

Well that sucked haha. The hero died in this one and it will linger until the Bills are headed to their next SB with an AFC Conference Banner. I have been reading and seeing a lot of people's reactions and it is going to be a game that goes down on the list (you all know the list). With that said here are some thoughts I have from the game and season in general. Maybe it makes you feel better, maybe worse, maybe you are still angered everything is cool in my book.

1. Allen- Starts and ends here. If you are a Star Wars fan like me his Jedi training is complete. Josh the last two years has shown he is one of the leagues best players, but there was still going to be that time when he had to go toe to toe with Mahomes in the biggest moment. The game will show a loss for the team, but Josh got a W. If you want to be the best you have to have the ability to match the best in the brightest moment. Last year in the AFC title he wasn't there yet, he is now. The fact he was straight up injuring Chief players running the ball was unreal. Every major media analyst I read said he was the best player on the field (with respect to Mahomes who was also sublime). From the 2nd half of the Bucs half on the light has come on for Josh on how to take over games even if he is not at his best OR that he can absolutely be a world crusher when he is on top of his game. Many questions lingered into this season if Josh was a one year wonder, if he could do it again, could his playoff performance match how well his regular season games have been. The answer to all of these now is yes yes yes etc.. The question that everyone media wise seems to be asking is when will Josh win his title because the lights are finally at the max.

2. 13 Seconds. This is going to be haunting Bills fans until they break through. My thought on the failure of the defense stems from getting burned by Hill on the prior possession for a TD. I hated that they basically played a prevent D that was conservative to the max, but they seemed to be in that mindset to not lose the game because of what had occurred prior. What bothered me was when the ball was still on the KC half of the 50 why defenders were not instructed to take PI penalties if needed to stop completions. KC had two timeouts and didn't need to go a tremendous distance even with the limited time to tie it. To me the idea should've been never let KC by the 50 until you forced a hail mary even if you mug a guy. The mentality just looked so soft it was frustrating as a fan. In regards to the kickoff of doing a squib or booming it, I think that is fine but there was legitimate risk of Hill or another guy breaking it where the Chiefs were in a place to try something. It never was a perfect solution but the kickoff thing bothers me less then what happened after. You have the #1 defense and the broke like a dam .

3. Defense. Speaking of the #1 defense not good Vern not good. Tre White certainly was missed back there, but your All Pro safeties had their worst games in a while. One of my issues with the defense that is turning into a problem in general is they seem to care more about the headlines then reality at points. Stats and rankings are great and all but when the big moments came yesterday they failed again like they failed last year. The defensive line missed so many tackles on Mahomes who credit to him was like a damn eel slipping away. I really feel the defense is missing a tone setter in a nasty type of way. I have been watching the Man in the Arena thing and Rodney Harrison is very interesting because he is an admitted jerk, but his entire goal is to be that way because its all about winning. The Bills defense can use a guy like that and I truthfully think because Edmunds is the QB on D they go off his personality which just isn't a fighter in that sense. Milano sometimes will lay out a guy and do that, but I really think in game like last night having a guy who could light a guy up would've been the swing to get the defense from being on their heels so much.

4. One Score Games- The BIlls went 0-6 in one score games this playoff. It was almost self fulfilling for the season to end that way. I understand one score games are a partially a product of luck and circumstance, but their failure to win even one of PIT/TEN/JAX cost them homefield which probably swings the day also. I found out the Bills have not won a playoff game on the road since Miami in the 93 AFC title. You can't help feeling jilted after that many close losses and wonder what could have been if they could've stayed home.

5. Homefield- In the same vein I feel the team learned an agonizing lesson also last night. Coming into the year the motto was we want to host the AFC crown in our building and force everyone here. I truthfully think some players understated how tough that goal is and the work to get there. Without a doubt the season changed the 2nd half of the Bucs game on, but I think the team truly understands after the season they had what really needs to be done if they want that. The comparisons to 89 seem to be more true in many respects then before as I hope the Bills now get that every team will be throwing their best shot at you weekly as they will be favorites again next year. You are not sneaking up on anyone and it is up to your own work to get what you want. It is a crappy lesson but hopefully it sets in.

6. Davis- Can someone please explain to me why Gabe Davis was not included in the gameplan for what felt like the first 10 games. Next year let him be WR2 and roll with him there.

7. Passing Offense-  in general I actually am most excited about for 22' as Davis has emerged, Knox has now proven he can be a TE1, Mckenize is fine as a WR3 if needed, and Singletary did quite well as the top back the last 8 games. The offense seems to finally have found an identify that can throw like crazy but run when needed. If you told me next year we are running Diggs, Davis, Kumerow, McKenzie, Knox, & Singletary out next year with Beasley and Sanders gone I would say I am good lets roll. I would assume probably a cheap FA addition may happen also.

8. Coaching- If that was Daboll's last game it was a good one outside of a few running calls I didn't care for. Overall though I appreciate how he helped groom Josh and transform the offense into something I look forward to weekly. Frazier on the other hand just makes you throw your hands up. He has done well in a lot of ways, yet the defense has crumbled in some big moments multiple times in his time here. Last night is a pretty bad blemish with his unit and the end of game play calling.

As for McD the proverbial hot seat is now a thing. The expectations next season will be SB or bust as they will for the following years after. The buck starts and stops with him and the end of game leaves a lot of questions at his feet. The window for a SB is never going to be wider and the Bills have 5-6 years where Josh will be at the height of his powers. If McD fails to get this team in the next season or two to the title, the calls will come for him fair or not.

9. Sports-  In sports nothing is linear and every championship team has a path of its to get there. People love to compare this current group to the 90s Bills and the trials and in many ways it is similar. But on the flipside they also could be like Mannings Colts who after making the AFC title in 2003 suffered two bad losses in the divisional round before breaking through. John Elway never won his titles until literally his final two seasons and suffered so much heartbreak before finally getting his ring. The hope this year was the Bills would keep ascending as they have kept building up, instead they fell short earlier while losing a major opportunity to get to the big game on their own terms. The pain of today is knowing this is a team that is championship worthy but the opportunity is now done for this year and there is no true certainty of when the breakthrough may be. I feel pretty good knowing with Josh that day will be here in the next few years, but the crappy reality is they blew such a good chance and we now basically wait a year to get back to the same place and see what they can do again. I just really hope that that breakthrough is not many years away if at all.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Like a lot of what you said, but the coaching staff was abysmal last night.  The defense was horrific, and Daboll was as terrible, not unleashing Allen until the 3rd quarter against an average secondary, instead running it (with Allen most of the time) into a good front 7.  

I hope you are right about McD (and Bean) being on the hot seat, otherwise this is going to turn into the Marino Dolphins really fast.  Elite QB that never wins anything.  This team did not improve year over year.  We should have had the 1 seed as you point out, (lost to Jax, really?), were unprepared and undermanned at critical times in critical situations.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

13 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Like a lot of what you said, but the coaching staff was abysmal last night.  The defense was horrific, and Daboll was as terrible, not unleashing Allen until the 3rd quarter against an average secondary, instead running it (with Allen most of the time) into a good front 7.  

I hope you are right about McD (and Bean) being on the hot seat, otherwise this is going to turn into the Marino Dolphins really fast.  Elite QB that never wins anything.  This team did not improve year over year.  We should have had the 1 seed as you point out, (lost to Jax, really?), were unprepared and undermanned at critical times in critical situations.  

Remember on offense they run a lot of RPO's so Josh many times is making some of these calls not Daboll. 

I really think honestly that if the Bills fail to reach the SB next season the calls for McD to go will be pretty loud. You only have so long for a window and you do not want to lose all of it because you wouldn't make a change.

1 minute ago, die hard bills fan said:

Agree with your thoughts. 

Got to add luck to the list.  If we win the OT coin toss we probably win the game.  

Also NFL really needs to look at the OT format. 

That is fair. The Bills luck was atrocious all year long.

OT wise I guess my thought is this. Bills get a chance to answer and score. KC now again gets the ball where points win the game. Either way its one of the same to me. If you adjust OT I'd rather see a 10 min quarter period AND then the OT rules we have now if it is still tied. Regardless the game should never have come down to a coin flip and the defense/coaches can thank everyone for that.

2 minutes ago, die hard bills fan said:

Agree with your thoughts. 

Got to add luck to the list.  If we win the OT coin toss we probably win the game.  

Also NFL really needs to look at the OT format. 

The OT format is a joke.  It's like if MLB just let the first team up to bat win if they score more than 1 run.  Total joke.  Follow the college format.  

49 minutes ago, corta765 said:

2. 13 Seconds. This is going to be haunting Bills fans until they break through.

3. Defense. Speaking of the #1 defense not good Vern not good. Tre White certainly was missed back there, but your All Pro safeties had their worst games in a while. One of my issues with the defense that is turning into a problem in general is they seem to care more about the headlines then reality at points. Stats and rankings are great and all but when the big moments came yesterday they failed again like they failed last year.

I agree with most of what you said, but the 2 things that matter to me above all else are the above.

13 seconds.  Thats it. It trumps everything else

The defense may have been RANKED #1 in some metrics, but whey weren't a #1 defense in many people's eyes for 2 reasons:

-First, they 'fattened up' that ranking against some real bad competition. As other have said, what QBs did the Bills have to face that other teams had tougher ones throughout the year. Yes, you play who is on your schedule, but that schedule helped to contribute to that #1 ranking instead of a #5-#10 ranking.

-Second, even if that #1 ranking is justified, this isn't what many of us remember as a #1 ranked defense.  #1 in this case just means you allowed a few less yards and points than other teams.  It doesn't carry the weight of the 85 bears, 2000 Ravens, 86 Giants, 2013 Seahawks, and others. Those were dominant Defenses, this D-unit, not even close.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

The defense may have been RANKED #1 in some metrics, but whey weren't a #1 defense in many people's eyes for 2 reasons:

-First, they 'fattened up' that ranking against some real bad competition. As other have said, what QBs did the Bills have to face that other teams had tougher ones throughout the year. Yes, you play who is on your schedule, but that schedule helped to contribute to that #1 ranking instead of a #5-#10 ranking.

-Second, even if that #1 ranking is justified, this isn't what many of us remember as a #1 ranked defense.  #1 in this case just means you allowed a few less yards and points than other teams.  It doesn't carry the weight of the 185 bears, 2000 Ravens, 86 Giants, 2013 Seahawks, and others. Those were dominant Defenses, this D-unit, not even close.

Bingo. I think the defense is good, but they bought their own hype and rank over the results which happened too much.

I think if daboll leaves, which seems inevitable, whoever our new oc is will use Gabe the way we all want him to be used. It's still boggling to me that Diggs wasn't even a factor last night. I know kc probably planned to keep him out of the game, but he's our best offensive weapon and he had 7 yards. As crazy as it sounds, the bills shoulda had 7 tds again last night. But, the defense was really the bills Achilles heal 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

No way is McDermott on any kind of hot seat. That thought is crazy. This is especially true if they lose Frazier or Dabol. Continuity is important.

Sorry should've clarified fan/media wise if they don't make the SB next year. I personally believe the Pegulas will keep him as long as he wants and want to emulate what the Steelers have done with very few coaching changes.

Edited by corta765
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, corta765 said:

9. Sports-  In sports nothing is linear and every championship team has a path of its to get there. People love to compare this current group to the 90s Bills and the trials and in many ways it is similar. But on the flipside they also could be like Mannings Colts who after making the AFC title in 2003 suffered two bad losses in the divisional round before breaking through. John Elway never won his titles until literally his final two seasons and suffered so much heartbreak before finally getting his ring. The hope this year was the Bills would keep ascending as they have kept building up, instead they fell short earlier while losing a major opportunity to get to the big game on their own terms. The pain of today is knowing this is a team that is championship worthy but the opportunity is now done for this year and there is no true certainty of when the breakthrough may be. I feel pretty good knowing with Josh that day will be here in the next few years, but the crappy reality is they blew such a good chance and we now basically wait a year to get back to the same place and see what they can do again. I just really hope that that breakthrough is not many years away if at all.

Thank you for this.  It is a healthy dose of perspective.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I think if daboll leaves, which seems inevitable, whoever our new oc is will use Gabe the way we all want him to be used. It's still boggling to me that Diggs wasn't even a factor last night. I know kc probably planned to keep him out of the game, but he's our best offensive weapon and he had 7 yards. As crazy as it sounds, the bills shoulda had 7 tds again last night. But, the defense was really the bills Achilles heal 

They blanketed Diggs and basically told Allen to try and beat them with Gabe Davis. Guess what? He did. Also, don't discount that HUGE 2-point conversion he caught. It was a sensational, high-difficulty catch.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

How did they not “unleash Allen” until the third quarter?  

First drive:  8 passes, 3 runs by Allen, 4 runs by other players.  The first 8 plays were either passes or Allen runs

Second drive:  6 passes, 1 Allen run, 1 run by another player

Third drive:  3 runs by Singletary and McKenzie

Fourth drive:  3 passes, 2 runs by Allen

That’s  the entire first half.  17 passes, 6 runs by Allen, 8 runs by other players.  It’s hard to use a QB more than that, and Josh took a beating (while dishing out an even bigger beating).

Edited by Billl

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

They improved as compared to the Chiefs. Last year there was a clear gap between the two. This year there wasn't. We won 1 and lost one we should have won in OT. They missed opportunities all year. Especially in the middle of the season. They should have been the 1 seed that game should have been in Buffalo. But in terms of being at KC's level, last year we were not, this year we were. 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Billl said:

How did they not “unleash Allen” until the third quarter? 

That’s  the entire first half.  17 passes, 6 runs by Allen, 8 runs by other players.  It’s hard to use a QB more than that, and Josh took a beating (while dishing out an even bigger beating).

I think the point would be that Mathieu was lost early in the game, and if you ask me, it appeared that they became more conservative once he left the game.

My gut says they were trying to feather the clock to end Q2 with the ball, and got a little cute.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.