Okay the question since we are not Coaches & obviously know nothing... Did anyone after the TD think Kick it out of the end zone for a touchback?

Billsfan1972

Glad I'm not the only one who thought they should kick it out of the end zone.

I started doubting myself afterward, of course, but I don't like the squib kick. As others have said, if someone nabs it early, they can fall on it and get decent field position. If not, then it has a tendency to outkick the coverage and they can get a decent return.

The high kickoff to just in front of the end zone would be better, especially if it gives the coverage team time to get downfield and make the play. But I've seen too many blown coverages to make me comfortable with that.

I felt like we could trust the defense to not allow that many yards in 13 seconds, but I guess I don't know *****.

• Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I said to everyone at my place to kick it to like the 10 yard line and have them run 6-7 seconds off the clock.

Some thought squib, but then you can just fall on it.

Did anyone think kick it out of the end zone for a touchback????

Kick it out of the end zone is exactly what I thought. Perhaps it's because I still bear the scars of the Music City Illegal Forward Pass, but I wanted nothing to do with a returnable kick in that situation.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

Again all year when the Bills wanted kicks returned Bass would do a shout run (like a field goal).  Here he did a 7-8 yard run up.  Add to that Pringle (not Hill) was back to return.    

Just now, devldog131 said:

Kick it out of the end zone is exactly what I thought. Perhaps it's because I still bear the scars of the Music City Illegal Forward Pass, but I wanted nothing to do with a returnable kick in that situation.

I wanted nothing to do with Mahomes & 13 seconds.....😜

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, muppy said:

to answer the thread title question...No I did not intrinsically Think "Oh yes kick out of the back of the endzone for a touchback"....when it happened I was caught up with the Glory of what we had just witnessed. I just wanted those seconds Gone. At the time , nd yes Im clearly not a coach...But They ARE paid coaches so I cant say wether the kicker simply kicked it too far from adrenaline or he was told to do what he did. McDermott won't throw his player under the bus, has not and will not even if that scenario was true. imo

m

Im kind of droopy today this post is in a way soothing I appreciate it.

m

You're welcome @muppy. Thank you for that.

Believe me, I know how you feel. I really do not want to be at work right now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I said to everyone at my place to kick it to like the 10 yard line and have them run 6-7 seconds off the clock.

Some thought squib, but then you can just fall on it.

Did anyone think kick it out of the end zone for a touchback????

I thought it would be a squib or something like your saying. Either way, force them to field the ball in bounds and kill some clock. I thought that would happen for sure, I called it as well. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

We know the result of the play...not the play call.

It's entirely possible (though today it's more convient to yell about coaching) that the play was called to kick high to the 5 and force a return and our young kicker was too hyped up and put too much leg into it.

Based on McD's comments after the game, this is exactly what I think happened.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Actually yes. KC has too much speed and can score at any time with the ball in their hands.  They may have just fell on a squib and had better fp and of course there’s the MCM. Seemed like a good bet with just 13 seconds to stop them from getting in FG range from their 25. Not too much to ask. 

2 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

I was all for the touch back.

The Music City Forward Lateral was definitely in my mind.

No chance of that with a TB 

I was for the touch back as well.  I did not want special teams to muck it up and allow a TD on the return or even great field position.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again all year when the Bills wanted kicks returned Bass would do a shout run (like a field goal).  Here he did a 7-8 yard run up.  Add to that Pringle (not Hill) was back to return.    

I wanted nothing to do with Mahomes & 13 seconds.....😜

How many kicks did they just cover in the last few minutes tho. I wonder if they all were just gassed enough to get beat for a big return. Only takes one miss. I’d take may chances covering 2 plays and a Hail Mary type deal. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

How could anyone have felt comfortable giving mahomes 13 seconds, the ball at the 25 and 3 timeouts?  Especially how that game went in the last few minutes.  I’ll take my chances with my special teams in n a short kick.  Game is over if 6-7 seconds run off on kickoff.  

Game is also over after one incompletion probably or one sack definitely if they start on the 25.  It was the right call…it was really their first play that sunk us.  That set them up pretty perfectly 

• Disagree 1

21 minutes ago, motorj said:

I didn't think anything as I was still amazed at what just happened. I figured there was no way the D would get them in fg range in 13 secs

Well I was going nuts saying what to do (kick to the 10 yard line).

Just listening to Bill Simmons and Cousin Sal and they said the same thing.  Also complained about those two Bills possessions where the Bills ran the ball on 2nd & 3rd downs with when <4 yards to go.  They said the ball needed to be solely in Allen's hands.

Edited by Billsfan1972

Personally, and this won't be popular, but I don't think it matters. They probably should have squibbed, but, wherever it was squibbed to, or if it was a high pop up kick, the clock doesn't start until the guy catches and starts running. If Bass squibbed it to the ten and Pringle kneeled on it, they still get in field goal position. They still have 13 seconds and three time outs. That is an eternity for Mahomes when you play the BS Dick Jauron prevent which allowed Mahomes to get rid of it quick.  

3 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I have a feeling we wanted the pop up kick and bass mishit it and McDermott isn’t one to throw anyone under the bus 

We will never know for sure, but I think you're right.

In the press conference after the game, McDermott kept saying it was an "execution issue."

If it was the wrong play call, he would not have suggested the kicker messed up.

I wanted them to kick it short of the end zone but when they kicked it for a touch back I was ok with it.  Then I lost my mind with the D that was called in those 13 seconds / 2 plays.  That's why we lost the game.  If Mahomes earned those 45 yards I would've tipped my cap to him but he didn't, we gave it away.  What we called on D, Mahomes could've beat blind folded.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Personally, and this won't be popular, but I don't think it matters. They probably should have squibbed, but, wherever it was squibbed to, or if it was a high pop up kick, the clock doesn't start until the guy catches and starts running. If Bass squibbed it to the ten and Pringle kneeled on it, they still get in field goal position. They still have 13 seconds and three time outs. That is an eternity for Mahomes when you play the BS Dick Jauron prevent which allowed Mahomes to get rid of it quick.   

15 more yards, they don't get there.  Took them 10 seconds to go 45 yards.  60 yards no....   

18 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

We will never know for sure, but I think you're right.

In the press conference after the game, McDermott kept saying it was an "execution issue."

If it was the wrong play call, he would not have suggested the kicker messed up.

Again when Bass kicks it short he doesn't do a 7 yard run, he did 3 yards during the season.

I was in favor of the touchback.  Possibly influenced permanently by the Music City Massacre I was afraid of the big return.  Also, if the Chiefs had returned the kick they would have been holding all over the place and this specific referee crew calls the least amount of penalties in the NFL.   The fear of the big return was on my mind.

Free releases and soft coverage lost the game though IMO   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.