Fond memories: Huge hit by K. Schulz on H. Walker 1996

Apocalypse Nuts

I'll preface this by saying I'm not getting political here in any way whatsoever, but every time I see something about Herschel Walker running for Senate in Georgia, I immediately get a huge grin on my face as I'm taken back in my mind's Way Back Machine to Sept 22, 1996 and a home game between the visiting Cowgirls and our Bills. It was just a regular season game, but after those two SB losses in a row to them, any kind of revenge on them would be enjoyable at some level.

So at about the 1 hour 53 minute mark on the YouTube video (tried to link but hopefully it works directly on YouTube), you'll see a massive, absolutely crushing hit on Hershel Walker by one of my old favorite safeties, Kurt Schulz.  Walker leaked out of the backfield when Aikman lofted a nice pass to him right about the 2 yard line or so.  Schulz saw it coming and laid into Walker something fierce.  Give Walker credit though he held onto the ball and I remember being absolutely amazed at the time that he was able to do so. 

I always liked Schulz back there.  He wasn't the fastest but he could hit like a freight train and that kind of physicality from the DB's is something I felt wasn't there during the SB years.  I certainly don't recall Mark Kelso ever hitting anyone like that.  I could be wrong though.  But I'll never get tired of watching this hit.  Ahh memories.

Enjoy: 

hopefully direct link the the hit (thanks Pete!) :

Edited by Apocalypse Nuts
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

Yes 1 hour 53 minute mark, you are correct.  Sorry for the confusion.

Dayum... talk about throwing your body around. The only reason Walker held onto that was because the ball was pretty much made a part of his body with that hit. Impressive!

14 minutes ago, Conlan58 said:

Am I missing something here? The 1:53 mark in the video is Jim Kelly throwing a pick... you talking 1 hour 53 minutes in? 

Scroll down on comments- they link to the huge hit!  I loved the Bills teams!  Kurt Schultz - eastern Michigan if my old memory is correct- I almost forgot about what a great hitter he was

He knocked Hershel backwards!!

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

Scroll down on comments- they link to the huge hit!  I loved the Bills teams!  Kurt Schultz - eastern Michigan if my old memory is correct- I almost forgot about what a great hitter he was

I think it was Eastern Washington.

We were heading into a period of stagnation for the Bills teams in the late 90's when they actually had excellent defenses but not so good offenses.  I think Todd Collins took over in 1997 after Jimbo retired and, well I think we all know how that went.  So this is a rather exciting memory I have of that era.  Granted, I was sowing a lot of my wild oats during the 90's so my memory in general is a bit fuzzy from back then.

23 minutes ago, Pete said:

Walker had so much momentum too.  And it was a perfectly legal hit.  Schulz lead with his shoulder all the way.  A thing of beauty.  KAPOW!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

that's a Flag!

Also...

I loved that in Tecmo Superbowl, when you touch the ball carrier with K. Shultz they immediately fall down. No "wrestling" for the tackle.

...and...

When did Herschel Walker return to the Cowboys?

Looks like he went back to Dallas that year, 96 but not sure what happened.  Maybe free agent?  Seems he retired after 97 I guess.

30 minutes ago, bmur66 said:

Kurt " I know nothing!" Shultz per Chris Berman

I think I might have heard that once and totally forgot about it!  A classic!  The younger crowd might not get that as much.  😂

1 hour ago, ßookie_tech said:

Schulz would lay some hits. Anyone remember from the Music CIty game when Eddie George breaks through the line and Schulz decleats him? My favorite play from that game. 

I'm so glad I started this thread now.  I don't even remember than particular play but I'll have to go find it now.  I do, of course, remember that bleeping game though.  The beginning of dark days. 

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I remember that hit. The 'Pop' sounded like a firecracker going off!

When Madden says you could hear that hit up there where they were, you know it was bad.  RIP John Madden btw.  He was Mr. Football for so much of my life. 

5 hours ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

I'm so glad I started this thread now.  I don't even remember than particular play but I'll have to go find it now.  I do, of course, remember that bleeping game though.  The beginning of dark days. 

The play occurs with 9:40 left in the 4th quarter. 👍

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, ßookie_tech said:

The play occurs with 9:40 left in the 4th quarter. 👍

Just watched it.  Man that was a HIT!  Completely stopped George's momentum.  Another textbook shoulder hit too.  Love the replay on that one.

I noticed the announcer (Theisman?) said George had a slight concussion before (the game?) and after that hit he'd have another one.  Seems like today he wouldn't even have been in that game.  He'd be in the protocol.  It was a different time I guess.

I cannot watch the "Home Run Throw-Forward" play again.  Not one more time.  Heck, I watched it a few dozen times that day like most of us.  Never again.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.