Beasley flipping out at McDermott (at :41 of the 3rd quarter lower left screen on sideline)

BADOLBILZ

22 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Wishful thinking.  We’re going to have to buck up and pay Diggs more money too.  Knox is gonna get paid, Tremaine, phillips, levi, Ed, interior OL.  

i can’t see us paying both Diggs and godwin 18M plus.  Diggs is gonna want at least that much.  

Diggs is under contract for 2 more years. If they rework his contract for anything, it would be a slight raise to reduce his cap hit.

I loved the Godwin idea before he tore up his knee, now it becomes a very risky proposition.

2 minutes ago, QCity said:

Diggs is under contract for 2 more years. If they rework his contract for anything, it would be a slight raise to reduce his cap hit.

I loved the Godwin idea before he tore up his knee, now it becomes a very risky proposition.

Yeah….and you don’t think he’s trying to get re upped for big bucks?  I think we’ll give him some more cash to keep him happy this offseason then another extension after next.  I doubt they let his contract expire after 23.  He’ll already be locked up imo. 

i think the knee situation actually gives this a chance. Without it, no way we’d pay his price. The injury has a chance to bring down his price tag some. But still…… I don’t think there’s any chance of this. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Yeah….and you don’t think he’s trying to get re upped for big bucks?  I think we’ll give him some more cash to keep him happy this offseason then another extension after next.  I doubt they let his contract expire after 23.  He’ll already be locked up imo. 

i think the knee situation actually gives this a chance. Without it, no way we’d pay his price. The injury has a chance to bring down his price tag some. But still…… I don’t think there’s any chance of this. 

Agreed it would be tough cap wise to get both but like you said, with the knee injury his price tag could come down a tad. Perhaps it would give pause for teams to offer him a long term deal with a lot guaranteed. And never forget Beane loves to go for a big splash.

Dream situation could be there - he takes 16 or so guaranteed to pad his stats with Josh Allen setting him up for a huge UFA year at age 26. 

But Diggs could want more if he sees something like that..

Edited by 716er

14 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I have the same feeling when I see McKenzie run. And in past years Beasley's quickness popped the same way to me. I just don't see it this year. And that's something that the Belichicks of the world can use.

He's still really good at attacking zone, but the fantastic thing about him used to be that he was really good at handling both zone and man-to-man, and that no longer seems to be the case.

See, I could be wrong, but I never thought Beasley was very good at getting open super quickly vs. man (at least while in Buffalo), especially against a quality slot corner.  If you give him enough time and route options, sure, he could juke the guy out of his cleats and work open, and he could figure out where the seams would be against zone and find the open spot. 

Perhaps he was quicker and better against man in his Cowboys days?

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

See, I could be wrong, but I never thought Beasley was very good at getting open super quickly vs. man (at least while in Buffalo), especially against a quality slot corner.  If you give him enough time and route options, sure, he could juke the guy out of his cleats and work open, and he could figure out where the seams would be against zone and find the open spot. 

Perhaps he was quicker and better against man in his Cowboys days?

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree then.

I feel like I've seen very few reps when he did that four yard in where he goes horizontal and does a 180 on the downfield foot and goes backward and was successfully covered. And he could get open doing that route with a ton of separation in just about two seconds. Several other things he does that he's been able to break man coverage with extremely sudden cuts and great route-running.

Not this year, though.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, 716er said:

True - he is also coming off an injury so that makes me slightly worried but he is only 25 years old. I think the combined contracts of Beasley (cut), McK (don't re-sign), and Sanders (don't resign) from this season would equal out to what Godwin gets paid next year.

2021 Cap Hits

Bease - 7.5 million

Sanders - 4.5 million

McK - 1 million

In total that's 13 million. Godwin will probably get 15-17 per year. Could they find an extra 2-4 million to pay Godwin and still upgrade the guards on the oline?

They would need to add other WR depth in FA/draft, but would likely need to do that anyway.

Going into 2022 with a top 3 of Diggs, Godwin, and Davis would be spicy.

Sanders isn't under contract for next year, or at least not a real contract. He'll be $2M in dead money if I remember quickly, and we can't save that by cutting him. So if he's not here we save nothing from the way our situation is already set up on Spotrac for next year. Same for McKenzie. We don't save $7.5M if we cut Beasley. He would still be on the books for $1.5M in dead cap. Let all three of them go and the available cap total for 2022 goes from 9.28M to $15.351M. Total.

Right now, Spotrac has us with $9.28M in cap  available next year. That's with 41 guys under contract, and that's if you include the shadow year for Sanders Of course there are some cuts we would be able to make, but also some FAs we would want to re-sign and a bunch of positions where we'd need depth / upgrade, particularly DL and OL, but not limited to those two areas.

So if we left out Bease, Sanders and McK, we'd save about $6M. If he's healthy, I don't think Godwin comes for that. Yes, they could back-weight the contract, but Beane does that in small, limited doses, he's not a congenital can-kicker and he's looking forward to 2023 where the Covid cap cuts finally let us have some decent cap room again.

Basically, if you're right about what Godwin will cost, I don't see a chance in hell he ends up here next year. I'm wrong plenty when I predict the future, but I'm very confident about this particular prediction.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

No no no, you don’t get to have WASHED takes and then come back with this. You put the man bun in the rear view.

He is washed - but they’re gonna take Diggs out of the game and probably Knox too and make Allen beat them with his other targets.  Plus probably will use 3 safeties bc they’re thin on corners.  Beas should thrive tonight.

• Like (+1) 1

After he Scores tonight, everyone will forget it. The hatred for Beasley who has done nothing but make clutch plays for 3 seasons is mind boggling. Cole this fan is in  your corner. The last game Josh missed you on 3 occasions. However, Allen who has had 2 ***** games in a row now get's no criticism for making the wrong read. 

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He is washed - but they’re gonna take Diggs out of the game and probably Knox too and make Allen beat them with his other targets.  Plus probably will use 3 safeties bc they’re thin on corners.  Beas should thrive tonight.

How?  They couldn't do that last time, with a healthier backfield and 2 key Bills' WRs out?

Edited by Doc

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.