Shaq Lawson released

Dablitzkrieg

2 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

I'd say he has a good chance to play next week. No reason to believe he's bad enough for injured reserve, and you still need to cut someone. 

Not necessarily. You could sign him to the PS if Shaq is willing. Why not hook up with a playoff team?

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

I guess. But I don't see why folks are so enamored with Shaq Lawson. He's fine but hardly worth a spot on the current roster.

Agreed...

I think. Addison, Hughes,  Rousseau,  Basham, Epenesa and Obada are all better than Lawson. 

• Like (+1) 2

He was actually a beast at setting the edge in the run game. I would be fine with him coming back. 

2 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Agreed...

I think. Addison, Hughes,  Rousseau,  Basham, Epenesa and Obada are all better than Lawson. 

They're all apples, Shaq is an orange. He's a hell of a run defender. You can't move the guy. That's why I would like to see him back. 

• Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

He was actually a beast at setting the edge in the run game. I would be fine with him coming back. 

They're all apples, Shaq is an orange. He's a hell of a run defender. You can't move the guy. That's why I would like to see him back. 

If he was a great run defender, I am sure Miami and Jets would not have released him.

5 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Again, who are you cutting and/or taking away their playing time? 

9 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

I guess. But I don't see why folks are so enamored with Shaq Lawson. He's fine but hardly worth a spot on the current roster.

With the new rules, I'd scoop him up for a practice squad spot in a heartbeat. Experienced depth is never a bad thing. 

Also, in a rematch against someone like the Titans he may be a better game plan matchup than someone like AJE. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

1) former Bill. Well liked.

2) was pretty good last year with the Bills.

3) adds skill against the run.

4) Depth insurance for the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

I say bring him on( back). Reaclimate him to the process and see if he is right for us next season. Addison I think is gone, Obada and Hughes are FA's. Why not get a headstart? Plus, These next 4 games are going to be tough. It wouldn't hurt to have the extra vet presence. Groot and Booggie are rookies. Has Obada ever played in a playoff game?

I mean we have multiple comments on him being a good run defender (which I agree with) and he had 6.5 sacks his last year here which would almost double any of our current DE's except Addison who took 17 games to beat 6 sacks.  If nothing else sign him with an eye towards next year.  He would easily replace Addison or Hughes production at a much lesser cost on next seasons roster.

13 hours ago, ganesh said:

If he was a great run defender, I am sure Miami and Jets would not have released him.

I wouldn't be so sure. We released him after he had a rather solid season for us, jut not worth the cost. We weren't going to pay a premium for a guy whose primary skill was run defense. Miami decided to really pay a premium for that and I feel it's likely because they thought he could be more than a one dimensional player. Jets inherited that premium. Most teams are not looking for rotational DE's for run defense. They want them for pass rushing. That said Shaq was always impossible to move off his spot, he just had very little speed and edge rush to his game. Very one trick pony, think 3-4 DE in the early 2000's, something Rex Ryan might covet.   

Edited by KzooMike

Kind of a slap in the face to cut him on the eve of playing his former team, but I guess that's business. 

In any case, why not bring him in for depth now, then see what happens in training camp. Maybe he plays at his best with the group/scheme in Buffalo.  He could end up being a solid rotation guy who comes back for less money. On that note, I have no idea what his contract looks like and what that would mean for the Bills if they brought him in. 

Edited by skibum

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.