Josh Allen doesn’t have a single first round pick on offense

78thealltimegreat

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bunch?  Who?  "Bunch of 2nd rounders" = 2?

The two 2nd rounders of which I'm aware are Dawkins and Cody Ford, who is not looking like a good ROI in the 2nd round

We have 4 3rd rounders - Spencer Brown, Moss, Knox, Singletary

If you want to talk players acquired in FA or from other teams:

Morse was a 2nd round pick

Williams was a 4th round pick

so was Jon Feliciano

Boettger and Rick were undrafted

Diggs was a 5th round pick

Sanders was a 3rd round pick

Beasley was undrafted

Gabe Davis in the 4th

McKenzie in the 5th

Stevenson and Matt Breida undrafted

Outside of Allen, the Bills have not invested much draft capitol on offense

Stevenson was a sixth round pick in April.

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bunch?  Who?  "Bunch of 2nd rounders" = 2?

The two 2nd rounders of which I'm aware are Dawkins and Cody Ford, who is not looking like a good ROI in the 2nd round

We have 4 3rd rounders - Spencer Brown, Moss, Knox, Singletary

If you want to talk players acquired in FA or from other teams:

Morse was a 2nd round pick

Williams was a 4th round pick

so was Jon Feliciano

Boettger and Rick were undrafted

Diggs was a 5th round pick

Sanders was a 3rd round pick

Beasley was undrafted

Gabe Davis in the 4th

McKenzie in the 5th

Stevenson and Matt Breida undrafted

Outside of Allen, the Bills have not invested much draft capitol on offense

trading a first round pick for a WR is investing draft capital imo

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, FireChans said:

trading a first round pick for a WR is investing draft capital imo

So including the pick for Diggs in 5 drafts of this regime the Bills have spent six first round picks and five second round picks on players (rather than as chips in trades for draft position).  

Of those two 1sts on offense (Allen and Diggs) and three 2nds (Dawkins, Ford and Jones). 

So there is a slight tilt towards defense not helped by two of their three 2nd round picks on offense being their two biggest busts of the regime so far. 

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So including the pick for Diggs in 5 drafts of this regime the Bills have spent six first round picks and five second round picks on players (rather than as chips in trades for draft position).  

Of those two 1sts on offense (Allen and Diggs) and three 2nds (Dawkins, Ford and Jones). 

So there is a slight tilt towards defense not helped by two of their three 2nd round picks on offense being their two biggest busts of the regime so far. 

Well said, Close the thread

On 12/28/2021 at 9:44 AM, Mat68 said:

New England and Gb model.  Long term sustainability with an elite qb.  I think McBeane is more like Biliecheck  in that they are willing to make a bold move.  Greenbay doesn’t do flash moves historically.  I think if Etinne or Harris was there at 30 Buffalo would have drafted them. 

Let’s hope not regarding the RB’s. Sony Michel was one of BB’s worst picks. Damien Harris looks better and was drafted in the 3rd round.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That's a valid point.  If Zay Jones and Cody Ford had worked out at least to be solid, steady players we'd probably feel differently about the draft capital on D

I wasn't counting the 2017 draft because it preceded Beane

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's a valid point.  If Zay Jones and Cody Ford had worked out at least to be solid, steady players we'd probably feel differently about the draft capital on D

Edmunds, Epenesa, Ed Oliver,  Groot and Boogie need to work out for this teams long term success.   That is a ton of draft capital invested that needs to turn into Pro Bowl players.  May be it is the coaching that is stopping these men from becoming better players.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yep, although Zay would not just have had to be solid but good enough to give a 2nd contract to as his rookie deal would be up by now. 

And is fair, I'd say even correct, to distinguish between 2017 and the Beane drafts. That draft that brought us White, Dawkins and Milano is one of the best Bills drafts in my memory. But it was a McDermott draft. Some big contract decisions on Beane guys coming up.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I had to scratch  my head and think real hard anout who "Jones" was. I felt sad when I realized who you referred to  and remembering that he was a Second Rd pick

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/28/2021 at 12:57 PM, Rocky Landing said:

I know Diggs was previously a first round pick, but the Bills spent a first round pick on him. IMO, that counts as a first round pick. 

Also, going forward, it's going to mean less as the Bills are likely going to be picking fairly late in upcoming drafts. That is, of course, based on the belief that the Bills are going to be a perennial playoff team for at least several years. The real elite rookie talent tends to be up in the top ten, or so picks. I'd love to see Beane trade up for a prime target-- I have a feeling he could negotiate a better deal than that misguided Whaley selling-the-farm for Watkins pick.

I know he was previously a 5th round pick.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.