NFL doing away with Covid tests for vaccinated players who are not showing symptoms

UKBillFan

https://www.nfl.com/news/new-covid-19-protocol-to-feature-targeted-testing-of-fully-vaccinated-players-st

Apologies if this has already been discussed; I had a look back to yesterday but couldn't see a thread. Should reduce the chance of postponements but will certainly allow Covid to spread more freely amongst the players. Will it make the non-vaccinated players consider having the jab, as they could be lined up opposite those who have Covid but not showing symptoms?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/new-covid-19-protocol-to-feature-targeted-testing-of-fully-vaccinated-players-st

Apologies if this has already been discussed; I had a look back to yesterday but couldn't see a thread. Should reduce the chance of postponements but will certainly allow Covid to spread more freely amongst the players. Will it make the non-vaccinated players consider having the jab, as they could be lined up opposite those who have Covid but not showing symptoms?

I guess it means more games, but isn't a large point of the testing to catch people who AREN'T showing symptoms yet have it so they don't spread it to others?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I guess it means more games, but isn't a large point of the testing to catch people who AREN'T showing symptoms yet have it so they don't spread it to others?

Exactly. They're more desperate to play the games than protect people because Omicron seems to be less severe, though I don't think there's any proof of this at the moment either way.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

No it will not. They will get paid either way.

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

No it will not. They will get paid either way.

But they will be more suspectible to a disease that spreads far easier. More likely than not, they will be asymptomatic or just get cold-like symptoms but will they take that risk?

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I mean...how does this make any sense? So MORE people can land on the COVID list??

I reckon they'll dismiss cold-like symptoms as a cold rather than testing, so it'll only be coughs/change of taste and smell/fever that get tested.

15 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I kinda get the NFL's logic. I mean, yes they want games played and want the money, but in general, anybody who doesn't have symptoms still goes to work everyday and goes about their buisness. To my knowledge, I haven't had covid, but who knows. I'm not tested daily. I'd probably treat vaccinated nfl players the same. There's not really a whole lot more that can be done (outside of masking and being vaccinated) 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

But they will be more suspectible to a disease that spreads far easier. More likely than not, they will be asymptomatic or just get cold-like symptoms but will they take that risk?

From what I read on TWITter most of the professional athletes who are not getting shot are more concern about shot affecting performance (i.e. has it been adequately tested in population filled with artificial hormones, steroids and other supplements) and how being put on list will affect chance for bonuses.

3 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I kinda get the NFL's logic. I mean, yes they want games played and want the money, but in general, anybody who doesn't have symptoms still goes to work everyday and goes about their buisness. To my knowledge, I haven't had covid, but who knows. I'm not tested daily. I'd probably treat vaccinated nfl players the same. There's not really a whole lot more that can be done (outside of masking and being vaccinated) 

I guess it's down to the individual. In the UK, the advice is to fo a lateral flow test everytime you go somewhere or meet somebody; if you test positive isolate and get a PCR test. Not sure how different it is in America.

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

From what I read on TWITter most of the professional athletes who are not getting shot are more concern about shot affecting performance (i.e. has it been adequately tested in population filled with artificial hormones, steroids and other supplements) and how being put on list will affect chance for bonuses.

They'll be hoping they don't show any symptoms then!

39 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I reckon they'll dismiss cold-like symptoms as a cold rather than testing, so it'll only be coughs/change of taste and smell/fever that get tested.

Then people will start hiding minor symptoms...this has the makings of a disaster

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Then people will start hiding minor symptoms...this has the makings of a disaster

And if the non-vaccinated players have to be tested daily; if they test positive I think they'll have to go onto Covid protocol even if they're asymptomatic.

So, I guess I do not understand why they need to distinguish vaccinated from unvaccinated. If the rule is no tests for asymptomatic players because they can just play... it is the same regardless of vaccination status. You can have an asymptomatic case either way. If the NFL does not want to detect asymptomatic cases, why not just them all go???

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.