NFL doing away with Covid tests for vaccinated players who are not showing symptoms

UKBillFan

3 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

Exactly. They're more desperate to play the games than protect people because Omicron seems to be less severe, though I don't think there's any proof of this at the moment either way.

The NBA and NBAPA agreed to the same thing.  Some NBA players even suggested they stop testing.

I think odds are likely we see a shutdown again in sports.

I read an article by Fauci where he said Omicron may be less severe but a lot more contagious so you have just as likely, if not more, chance of people getting it and it becoming severe.

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

18 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I guess it means more games, but isn't a large point of the testing to catch people who AREN'T showing symptoms yet have it so they don't spread it to others?

That was the stated goal originally

The current policy appears to be slated towards maximizing player availability

The idea seems to be that they're back to having everybody mask and stay socially distant in the facility and that, combined with high vaccination rates, will reduce transmission and that transmission during games will still be low. 

I don't know what evidence the NFL actually has on any of these points or what data they have that supports Ct >35 being treated as a negative test (they say they have data that shows it correlates with lack of infectiousness)

2 hours ago, Beast said:

I wonder what Cole thinks of all this?

"Toldja So" would be my guess.

To which I must respond, "Yes.  Yes, Cole, You Did.  And if you had a t-shirt that said "Cole was right" (about the NFL's priorities specifically), I would wear it.

• Haha (+1) 1

I think the change in policy is probably a mistake.  In a big money sport like the NFL, COVID tests are an insignificant inconvenience and cost.  Especially with the arrival of the Omicron variant, there are large numbers of break through cases of COVID, but Omicron may not have severe symptoms in most cases anyway, and the reality of vaccinations may mean there are even larger numbers of assymptomatic cases among vaccinated players than among nonvaccinated persons.  In other words, not testing could result in the league not catching lots of assymptomatic cases which could facilitate the spread of the disease.

People on here defend this? It's clearer than ever that vaccinated or not you can get covid and transmit it. So ALL players should be tested daily. This way you stop the spread. So far, lots of vaccinated staff and players have tested positive. This doubling down on unvaccinated players is just unjustified madness. And if they supposedly care about not spreading covid, not testing sure isn't the way to go.

• Disagree 2

30 minutes ago, T master said:

Why would anyone that applies any amount of common sense to this just stop testing players just because they are vaccinated ?

Did i miss something or have those that have been vaccinated just stopped being able to get or spread the virus ?

Last i heard unless i misinterpreted it even if you are vaccinated you are still able to get it & spread it so who's brilliant deduction was this ? 

The NFL seems to believe that vaccinated, asymptomatic players aren't transmitting the virus inside the facility where everyone is required to be masked at all times now, nor are recovering players with PCR Ct >35.  

They aren't providing their data to the public, so the rest of us have no clue how grounded in factual data these beliefs may be.  Maybe they're sharing their data with the players or the NFLPA, don't know.

The key bit seems to be they think masks, masks everywhere will prevent intra-facility transmission and that in-game transmission won't occur.  But masks are only as good as 1) the quality of the mask and 2) the conscientiousness with which it's worn (which from what I've seen in NFL photos, is Not Good)

4 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

People on here defend this? It's clearer than ever that vaccinated or not you can get covid and transmit it. So ALL players should be tested daily. This way you stop the spread. So far, lots of vaccinated staff and players have tested positive. This doubling down on unvaccinated players is just unjustified madness. And if they supposedly care about not spreading covid, not testing sure isn't the way to go.

Please don't mistake me explaining what I think their underlying beliefs are with supporting this.  "You can not fight what you can not see", and without testing, they can't see what's going on.

IMHO they should be testing everyone, every day.  I think that was a key part of what made it work last season.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, T master said:

Why would anyone that applies any amount of common sense to this just stop testing players just because they are vaccinated ?

Did i miss something or have those that have been vaccinated just stopped being able to get or spread the virus ?

Last i heard unless i misinterpreted it even if you are vaccinated you are still able to get it & spread it so who's brilliant deduction was this ? 

The goal of the nfl is to not reschedule games. The goal of the union is to ensure players do not lose game checks which is what happens to both teams in the case of a forfeit. The nfl research believes the omicron variant is leading to positive tests but they do not believe it to be as severe in its symptoms and therefore is not as concerned about spread as it is player availability. Plus the vaccine does reduce the symptoms as well as the ability to contract it. Therefore reducing testing to only those with symptoms and no vaccine in addition to enhanced protocols to try to curb spread in general is the approach. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Someone needs to tell Chris brown and Steve tasker because it sounds like they have no idea what the protocols are  on one bills live

It's only because Peter King mentioned it on the UK television coverage that I double checked it hadn't been mentioned then posted it; the NFL seem to have done a good job of slipping this out under the radar.

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

It's only because Peter King mentioned it on the UK television coverage that I double checked it hadn't been mentioned then posted it; the NFL seem to have done a good job of slipping this out under the radar.

It was posted in the Dion Dawkins thread on Saturday, just didn’t have its own thread

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

The nfl believes the variant is less symptomatic but more infectious. They are not trying to stop the spread because they can’t.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

The goal of the nfl is to not reschedule games. The goal of the union is to ensure players do lose game checks which is what happens to both teams in the case of a forfeit. The nfl research believes the omicron variant is leading to positive tests but they do not believe it to be as severe in its symptoms and therefore is not as concerned about spread as it is player availability. Plus the vaccine does reduce the symptoms as well as the ability to contract it. Therefore reducing testing to only those with symptoms and no vaccine in addition to enhanced protocols to try to curb spread in general is the approach. 

This was my thinking too. My understanding from our family doctor is being vaccinated gives you have a much lower chance of being infected, and if you are, a much, much lower chance of being hospitalized, and eventually dying.

Seems the NFL is saying, we won't protect you anymore at the cost of our schedule, because you can make your own choice of what to do to protect yourself. Which kinda makes sense (to me at least)!

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

And if the non-vaccinated players have to be tested daily; if they test positive I think they'll have to go onto Covid protocol even if they're asymptomatic.

I believe that is correct.  At this point, it makes little sense to me - IF the goal is to control Covid.

What the NFL has pivoted towards doing is clearly, getting in the games.

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The goal of the nfl is to not reschedule games. The goal of the union is to ensure players do not lose game checks which is what happens to both teams in the case of a forfeit. The nfl research believes the omicron variant is leading to positive tests but they do not believe it to be as severe in its symptoms and therefore is not as concerned about spread as it is player availability. Plus the vaccine does reduce the symptoms as well as the ability to contract it. Therefore reducing testing to only those with symptoms and no vaccine in addition to enhanced protocols to try to curb spread in general is the approach. 

Sounds right to me.  Pretty simple really.  Well put.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Success said:

It's really the only way the season continues.  The #'s of players that would test positive over the next few weeks will only grow significantly (in all likelihood).

Has anyone talked about fans at stadiums yet?  I would think that's going to change...

That would be state by state, and we know what states would do that.. but with the Super Bowl at SoFi Stadium, I would imagine the NFL would use any leverage they have to make sure states like New York and California don't get any ideas.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.