Myth or Fact: we can't stop the run...

Hebert19

I say myth TBD.  We seem to give up a big run like we did yesterday and against pats and against Henry but outside of those we are holding the run game down.  Bucs could not run the ball yesterday outside of the long run.  Pats had a few runs but we 3 and out 4 times and had 4 and 5 play drives as well. 

What are your thoughts. 

1 minute ago, Hebert19 said:

I say myth TBD.  We seem to give up a big run like we did yesterday and against pats and against Henry but outside of those we are holding the run game down.  Bucs could not run the ball yesterday outside of the long run.  Pats had a few runs but we 3 and out 4 times and had 4 and 5 play drives as well. 

What are your thoughts. 

Outside of the bad plays, we had only good plays.

Outside of all the times the Bucs scored yesterday, we won this game 27-0.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

What are your thoughts. 

We can’t pretend the big runs didn’t happen. That’s like pretending Josh didn’t throw 2 80 yard bombs during a game. The big runs shouldn’t happen 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

If Bills win, all this is forgotten.   Bills lose, the f ing sky is falling.  

Weather stole the Pats game, Refs stole this one.   Both are out of the teams control.   Moving on.......

Next!  

The Bills are 3-5 in their last 8 games. The sky has already fallen. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

The Bills are 3-5 in their last 8 games. The sky has already fallen. 

Likely gonna win at least 3 out of 4 though…scheduling had some to do with that 

33 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

If Bills win, all this is forgotten.   Bills lose, the f ing sky is falling.  

Weather stole the Pats game, Refs stole this one.   Both are out of the teams control.   Moving on.......

Next!  

I hope the weather hurt us more than the pats but I’m not so sure…we’ll find out soon lol 

Any team that chooses to run the ball against the Bills has done it with relative ease.  Yes the Bills made some nice stops. But they gave up long TD run and Edmunds couldn't stop Fournette in the hole despite having a free shot at him 2 yards into the backfield. Edmunds is awful and the run defense is awful and this coaching staff is a joke. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This scheme is never going to be top of the league in rush yardage or rush Y/A because they don't want to be. Obviously they'd like to not allow long TD runs, but from an EPA perspective you actually want to encourage both the other team to run against you at a higher than average frequency AND be able to stop them at an above league average net YPA. If you're then also a top defense against the pass, as we are because we actually have good players and coaches, and play complementary offensive football (which we have struggled with as of late, but that doesn't mean the defensive philosophy isn't sound) you have a good modern NFL defense.

It's a fact.  We are light and slow in the middle of the DL and at LB, the tackling techniques of our run stoppers are sub-par for the NFL (tackle too high, fail to use sideline as a defender), and we don't scheme to make up for these weaknesses.  Any good team has been able to run effectively against us, and I don't see how that will change.

We rely upon our offense getting the Bills up two scores or more so that teams with decent running games abandon the run because of the clock.  That's our only real run defence.

Edited by Thurman Kelly

Who cares how many yards we hold a team to or negative plays we make if we let them rip off 50+ yard TD runs at least once a game and 1st down after 1st down? Especially when it matters most! Tom ***** Brady was looking like ***** Josh Allen juking and breaking ankles!

Edited by Sherlock Holmes
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

You guys that want to throw out the supposed fluke runs kill me, just kill me. Like it didn't happen or never will again. Kill me.

I think the OP point is that we have shown we can consistently stop the run most the game.  And yes, the big runs COUNT, always, they put points on the board and points decide games.  

But I don't think that is the OP point here, and I agree with him.  We are capable of stopping the run, and I think our bigger issue is not the players ability to stop the run, but defensive play calling at times opens us up for big runs.  Look at the Pats game, the big TD run had just ONE player in Poyer in that formation to prevent a TD if a RB got out of the box.  And Poyer over committed to one side leaving a free path to the end zone.  

This is the danger to put us in a formation where we leave ourself exposed on the other side of the field.  Same thing happened in the Bucs OT loss on the pass play. Terrible defensive formation that put all our second level help on the one side of the field, leaving a speedy WR just needing a couple yards of separation on a short strike to have a free path to the end zone.  

I will also point out, in most the games where we were gashed for big plays in the run game, Star was not playing who is a big part of our run defense and why we need to get younger there this offseason given his struggles to stay on the field this year.  

8 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

What are your thoughts. 

Jonathan Taylor says hello! 

Edited by BTB

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.