If the Bills re-sign Edmunds, they're stupid.

damj

2 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

What impact have you seen him make? Besides being fast enough to chase someone down after he missed the lane and the ####### is 5-10 yards up field. Edmunds is to fast, to strong, and just to big not to be making no plays. His instinct or something just isn’t developing 

He (Edmunds) hasn't been making impact plays. That's what I'm saying. Yeah, he's big and fast. He's good in the zone because he covers a lot of ground. But yeah his instincts are way below average and he can be a liability. 

• Like (+1) 2

How anyone can think this guy needs a new deal is beyond me. He doesn’t know what he’s doing out there. Too bad McDermott loves him for some reason. “Great in coverage” yeah ok. He can’t do anything

Edited by MWK
  • Agree 2

I see Edmunds is back resuming his Donte Whitner level whipping boy status and shouldering the blame for things that weren't his fault after a loss.  Hill burned the secondary for the TD, not Edmunds.  Kelce beat Milano for the TD, not Edmunds.  Our secondary gave up both passes in the the 13 second FG set up.

But, the focus is on Edmunds?  

I am not saying he is a future HOF guy, but all this "get rid of him" with no one to plug in for him is getting old.  Could we upgrade, sure...but that is WAY easier said than done, and the amount of crap he gets for things that had nothing to do with him is mind blowing.  He is not even remotely close to why we lost yesterday against the top QB and top team in the league.  

Heck, Dabolls wussy first half is substantially bigger reason to our loss...the 13 seconds decision to kick out of end zone...Fraziers defensive calls...etc etc.  But here we are again, all about Edmunds.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MWK said:

How anyone can think this guy needs a new deal is beyond me. He doesn’t know what he’s doing out there. Too bad McDermott loves him for some reason. “Great in coverage” my ass.

This year he took a step back in coverage, but overall in his career he’s been …ok… in coverage. He still seems green in “if, then” situations. 

I thought he was much improved vs the run this year (looked bulkier too), he hit way harder. He didn’t miss many tackles. He obviously sets the defense pretty well.

Blitzing he was pretty ineffective unless it was outside.

McD likely rolls with the 23 year old athletic  freak for 2 more seasons. All of his issues he can overcome with film study and coaching, that’s the crazy thing. I feel a DE switch is a stretch and they effectively only play 2 LBs so “move outside” isn’t really a thing. 

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I see Edmunds is back resuming his Donte Whitner level whipping boy status and shouldering the blame for things that weren't his fault after a loss.  Hill burned the secondary for the TD, not Edmunds.  Kelce beat Milano for the TD, not Edmunds.  Our secondary gave up both passes in the the 13 second FG set up.

But, the focus is on Edmunds?  

I am not saying he is a future HOF guy, but all this "get rid of him" with no one to plug in for him is getting old.  Could we upgrade, sure...but that is WAY easier said than done, and the amount of crap he gets for things that had nothing to do with him is mind blowing.  He is not even remotely close to why we lost yesterday against the top QB and top team in the league.  

Heck, Dabolls wussy first half is substantially bigger reason to our loss...the 13 seconds decision to kick out of end zone...Fraziers defensive calls...etc etc.  But here we are again, all about Edmunds.  

If he was 26, 27, 28 I’d feel different, but he’s legitimately 23. Strong enough to be an elite run defender, athletic enough to be an elite pass defender, just hasn’t ‘put it together’ yet 4 years into his career. 

Edmunds will get paid by us.  We live in Clownworld and Clownworld has already set The Narrative on Edmunds, namely that everyone outside of Buffalo knows he's a stud but the backwards-arsed Bills fans:  https://theathletic.com/2875908/2021/10/08/why-cant-tremaine-edmunds-win-over-bills-fans-when-hes-viewed-as-a-special-player-outside-of-buffalo/

The Pegulas are too establishment to fight The Narrative, and to be fair, most people are too weak to fight The Narrative and find themselves ostracized and outside the establishment.  The Bills are going to pay Edmunds.  What's the alternative?  Be labeled as RAYCISS?  Oh, the horror.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

It’s more so about paying him a good chunk of cash and cap space utilization… no thanks…. Maybe they can trade him this off-season. 

The defense can perform just as awful as they did yesterday without so much cap allocation to it. I say load up on offense this off-season and sprinkle in some defense if cap allows. 

Its absolutely fair and warranted to debate, ponder, or question the resigning of him from a cost to cap point of view.  Thats true with any player really that has a reasonably sized contract.  

But Edmunds takes a ton of blame for losses, even in games where he played stellar or was not even the problem...this thread comes back up and all the blame goes to him.  

I am just saying, raging about Edmunds TODAY about YESTERDAY is a waste of time, he is no where near the top of the list of why we lost yesterday.  Does that mean that he should be a lock to comeback or a lock to be gone...no, his future his a worthy one to evaluate and question, especially before we really know what it cost to retain him if they wanted to.  But thats not what happens with him, everyone here is mostly piling on him and praying he is gone as if he was the reason we lost, even without a real solution to replace him.

This board wanted a lot of other players gone too like London Fletcher blaming him for things that were not always on him either.  Just to see him go on to continue to be great elsewhere and finish 2nd in NFL history in tackles.  But people here said he sucks and only tackles guys 7 yards down field...sound familiar?  

I personally would like to see how Edmunds is used by a new DC as I think a lot of what people have an issue with in terms of Edmunds is how he is used.  

I peeked on Twitter in the 3rd quarter last night and everyone was trashing Edmunds. 

I've supported him but I just can't anymore.  Phenomenal athlete.  Terrible football player. 

Just hope him being a 1st rder and a captain doesn't go into the decision to sign him. 

Watching Milano play compared to Edmunds is night n day. Milano is amazing 

Edited by JerseyBills

11 minutes ago, harryS said:

Edmunds will get paid by us.  We live in Clownworld and Clownworld has already set The Narrative on Edmunds, namely that everyone outside of Buffalo knows he's a stud but the backwards-arsed Bills fans:  https://theathletic.com/2875908/2021/10/08/why-cant-tremaine-edmunds-win-over-bills-fans-when-hes-viewed-as-a-special-player-outside-of-buffalo/

The Pegulas are too establishment to fight The Narrative, and to be fair, most people are too weak to fight The Narrative and find themselves ostracized and outside the establishment.  The Bills are going to pay Edmunds.  What's the alternative?  Be labeled as RAYCISS?  Oh, the horror.

not sure I have seen a worst take on this subject...honestly.  

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

His head was spinning all game…. The book on Edmunds is written. Lacks instincts, still over pursued, still easily manipulated m….  He’s a solid player, not worth the extension and cap space. My guess is they pay him though and continue to waste cap space towards defense. 

Yet he wasn't the reason why we lost and he made some other important plays last night too.  But he is the focus and target today anyway.  

Look, your criticism on resigning him is fair, you think he will get a big pay day (and he might just get that from someone) and you feel if its us then its a bad use of cap.  I don't have an issue with you feeling that way, its a legitimate question with him when it comes to what he is worth.

But, I take exception that he is taking the blame for yesterday when he is so far down the list of what the biggest contributors to the loss were.  Thats like blaming your ex girlfriend for your bad day just because you had a missed call from her.  

Like I said before, its going to come down to what kind of deal he gets.  If he gets what fans fear he will get, I can't see us being the team to pay him.  Beane values and covets his cap space, I can't see him over paying if Edmunds isn't doing on the field what they expect him to do.  This FO has literally never done that once, and there is no reason to believe they just will blindly give him what ever he wants.  

I personally would like to see him under a new DC and see how he is used.  I feel like they have Edmunds floating too much and too far away from the LOS and forcing him to make decisions on the fly way too often as things develop.  I would like to seem them use him in a more aggressive and decisive manner and see if they can really tap into all that explosive athletic ability.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

10 minutes ago, bmur66 said:

I’m in the “keep him until we have an upgrade” camp.

He’s here next season due to the Bills having picked up his fully guaranteed, $12.7M fifth year option.  Not much to be done about that at this point.  What we shouldn’t do is compound that mistake by extending him further.  Drafting a mid round LB with good instincts this off-season would be smart.  Then at least we would have that player in place and he’d have some knowledge of our scheme.  We could still look for a bigger upgrade in 2023.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.