Week 14 Gameday Bills at Buccaneers Postgame thread

Hapless Bills Fan

10 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

It's not ignorance. You are demanding the officiating gets "better". That demand is only about 30-40 years old if not more... So just keep whinning about officiating for another 40 years? Thats like whinning that taxes exist...

How about the Bills just get some better players and coaches? Maybe if they do that, they win more games.

They did enough to win the game but fools don’t realize that. 54% of games are one score games, that’s how it is, to just say who cares if the refs suck is truly ignorant, stop defending BS. It’s people like you why the league will never change… you except the mediocracy…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

i think the excuse would be they missed it, like when a player misses a block, throws a bad pass, or loses the ball in the air and doesn't make a catch.

All the more reason to not crap part of the game away and get down 24-3.

In this day and age, referees almost never miss the chance to call PI for a jersey grab (that goes double when the receiver and defender are 1on1 in open space), and they just happened to miss it twice? Please.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Gene1973 said:

Then why have they not done this I wonder? They have had decades.

Because it makes for a more compelling product? 

The actual concerning point is that they haven’t had decades… the average margin of victory has actually shrunk and the the technology being used is better and they’re still having issues getting it right and holding referees accountable… 

1 minute ago, Gene1973 said:

Humans will always miss clear and obvious calls. That's what replay is for. They tried that for PI, it failed.

If that's your stance, then we might as just not have standards of what's acceptable or not.  I don't really understand your nihilism on refereeing, but you do you I guess.

3 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Humans will always miss clear and obvious calls. That's what replay is for. They tried that for PI, it failed.

How is it not concerning to you that 54% of games are decide by 1 score and we’re accepting that human error can sway those results? 

6 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

What gets me is no measurement on that 3rd down stop. Every angle looked like he was short. Also the same defensive play is called PI on the Bills but not on TB. Outside of that it was a hard fought comeback that should have been won by Buff. I just pray Allen isn't hurt.

They call it a first in hopes it’s inconclusive in replay. Lol

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I thought the one on Diggs in OT was a penalty live, but I never saw a good replay to know for sure.

There was one even worse where Davis was literally pulling Diggs jersey and running with him for a few yards with that while the ball was in the air...no call..

And the OT play was definitely a hold...dude grabbed his shoulder

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

It failed for a few reasons. The first is that the requirements to overturn the call were so high that bad calls were constantly upheld and everyone got twice as angry. The second is that the people reviewing the calls were just as likely to follow the NFL bias line. Lastly, it just made the game take way too long. 

9 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Because it makes for a more compelling product? 

The actual concerning point is that they haven’t had decades… the average margin of victory has actually shrunk and the the technology being used is better and they’re still having issues getting it right and holding referees accountable… 

The lack of this is why it never changes and you have to think the NFL supports it.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

The fake was worst.  At that point the first run by a Rb too.  Have Josh get 3 yards.  Probably hindsight go for both with the offense.  At worst they pick up 1 of them.  

I can’t comment cause I didn’t see that play. I was wrestling a toddler to keep from going insane.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Fans will always pay to watch the NFL. The NFL knows this. So not sure they care about standards. They are getting their money. 

Sure, it would be nice if officials never made mistakes. That's an unrealistic standard and will never happen.

IMO, it's on the team to play well enough to not allow officials to affect the vast majority if their games in a given season. Because, that's the only workaround at the moment.

Demanding the refs get better is only going to lead to more disappointment IMO.

So what happens when a team does play “well enough”? The refs are human and have bias and for you not to realize that’s a thing is absurd. 

11 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Well, at this point in time, human officials making mistakes by not fully seeing contact on a PI, or a hit to the head when it wasn't to the head etc, is part of the game. So if that is a known part of the game, the only way to ensure it can't affect your game is if the other team is well behind on the scoreboard at the final whistle. If you can't do that you increasingly put the outcome of the game more and more in the hands of the officials.

There isn't much that fan be done about it.

Well ensuring you’re far and away ahead happens less than half of the time in the NFL. 

That’s a higher standard to meet than holding referees accountable… 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.