When does chasing the almighty $$$ overcome the sanctity of the sport???

Gen2

18 hours ago, Gen2 said:

This got me thinking would/could the league manipulate the outcome of the season to chase that Nielson rating? Before you dismiss the thought out of hand, think how the league has "manipulated" the game to increase viewership. The rules have evolved to favor the offense to the point that the defense can hardly defend on any given play, scores have skyrocketed and all of a sudden the "casual viewer" becomes the rabid fan. Now that they have run out of not so subtle rules to favor the offense, "points of emphasis" come into play ... what's pass interference this week may or not be pass interference next week, what was holding last week may or not be holding this week, don't even get me started on the rash of illegal formation penalties this year.

I am shocked - shocked - to discover that an entertainment product is striving to make its product more entertaining to more people!

There is nothing sacred about the NFL, anymore than there is anything sacred about Disneyland. They exist to entertain people (including sponsors), not to heal their souls.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

New flash to the OP : chasing the almighty $$$ overcame the sanctity of the sport a LONG TIME AGO...

Like from the very beginning.

As I keep writing in these threads: when will these idiot owners figure out they can sell out advertising space on uniforms?  I can't believe they haven't done that already, but NFL ownership is rich, not smart.

• Agree 1

It’s more entertainment than sport. Has been for a long time.  

It really clicked for me being at the MNF game last week. It’s totally WWE. The “good guys” vs. the “bad guys”, with a sprinkle of some “heel” teams. The games are swayed from the top. The storylines are manipulated for dramatic effect as well.

And I don’t say this because we’ve generally been a “heel” team. I say it because I’ve just accepted it as entertainment, nothing more, nothing less. Years ago I’d be upset at losses, take it personal, let it ruin my day. Now that I know it’s just a show it’s a lot easier to just watch and enjoy, and appreciate the day at the stadium or the gathering to watch on TV no matter the outcome.

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

New flash to the OP : chasing the almighty $$$ overcame the sanctity of the sport a LONG TIME AGO...

As I keep writing in these threads: when will these idiot owners figure out they can sell out advertising space on uniforms?  I can't believe they haven't done that already, but NFL ownership is rich, not smart.

I would argue that there has never in the history of the world been sanctity in professional sports. You may find it with a bunch of kids playing in a vacant lot, but that concept goes out the window as soon as fame, money, influence and power are involved. Sanctity in professional sports is a romanticization created by those that make their money telling stories. They can be compelling and entertaining, but at the end of the day professional sports nowadays are basically "reality" TV with a virtually limitless budget and more spontaneity/uncertainty in the script.  They just panders to a different demographic than most other reality shows.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

It a huge money sport. Probably the biggest.  That makes it serious to those closely involved. 

Fixing professional sports goes back to the early 1900’s.  It’s real. Nothing you can do about it either.  So I chose to ignore it, but it is real. 

i know it is certainly possible. It’s happened recently in the NBA. But I’m not convinced of anything I “heard on the radio.” If real evidence comes out I’ll believe it, and honestly I wouldn’t be that surprised.

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

It’s happened recently in the NBA.

Well, not conclusively. There have certainly been enough eyebrow-raising incidents regarding foul call discrepancies in the NBA, but it's always hard to separate NBA hero worship (Jordan/Kobe/LeBron - they are the best, and they get the calls because they are the best, which makes them even better) from assisting the teams of those heroes to advance.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Well, not conclusively. There have certainly been enough eyebrow-raising incidents regarding foul call discrepancies in the NBA, but it's always hard to separate NBA hero worship (Jordan/Kobe/LeBron - they are the best, and they get the calls because they are the best, which makes them even better) from assisting the teams of those heroes to advance.

I was thinking of the Donaghy stuff but yeah you’re right

3 hours ago, Gen2 said:

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/tom-brady-ratings-buccaneers-patriots-1235079974/

And that was for a week 4 matchup. 

No I don't think people who would normally watch the game would NOT watch depending on the teams playing, but IMHO a Bucks/Pats game would garner the people who wouldn't normally tune in, but want to follow the drama & hype of a Brady Belicheat showdown.

I agree that advertising spots are sold for this game wayyyyyy before the participants are determined, but what about future spots when the NFL can show an out of this world viewer rating?

I can't imagine if you're not a fan enough to watch the Super Bowl, you would watch if certain teams participated, unless it's your home city team and you just like to see your city celebrate.

14 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

How adorable,  you actually think it's subtle. They should just start promoting it now because it's a done deal.

Yer a blast at parties I will bet......make sure yo have enough tin foil for your future hats.

3 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

It was oddly coincidental that the year new Orleans gets hit by Katrina the saints win it all. The year of the twin towers, the patriots win it all.

Why not NJ Giants or NJ Jests?

OP, this has been talked about non stop for the last two weeks.  The problem is the media doesn’t dictate the rules or what is happening in the NFL.  This is what they want.

It’s is way too early to tell who will be in the SB.  We won’t get a clearer picture until close to the end if the playoffs.  The Saints beat the Bucs last year twice.  It is game time for the Bills.

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I’m quite sure $ has overcome the sanctity of everything. 

11 hours ago, Gen2 said:

First of all Mickey the original post never claims any conspiracy theory, it was about an off hand comment I heard on the radio that got me wondering how far the NFL would manipulate the game to chase TV viewership. In my humble opinion, the evolution of the offense friendly rules HAS manipulated the game in that the level of scoring in your typical NFL game is much higher than the 50's, 60's, and 70's and the main purpose was to increase viewership (for the most part I see that as a good thing).

As far as it being satisfying to conjure up an "explanation", I never intended to offer explanations, just voice a question that was raised in my mind after the radio segment. The question is in simple terms; at what point does the NFL turn into the WWE and if the league could or would go there to simply chase increased profits? Hopefully the league wouldn't go there because God knows I've spent more money, time and passion over the last 60 years being a fan.

You can take to the bank my final point, the OP (me) doesn't think that I'm smarter than the rest of the posters in this forum. I'd place myself somewhere in the middle, smarter than some but most assuredly a heck of a lot less intelligent than some. However I do consider myself less of a jerk than most.      

Classic conspiracy garbage: "I am not saying this crazy thing is true, I am just asking if this crazy thing could be true. "  To ask is to suggest there are facts enough to make the inquiry worthwhile. What are your facts? Points of emphasis?  Hmmmm....could that be the officials trying to do a better job or is it proof the league is manipulating outcomes, ie, fixing games?  Ridiculous.  Oh but its possible because people are paid well by the league so surely a massive conspiracy could be kept quiet because people are paid to be quiet. Again, ridiculous.  It is discussions like this that turn into rumors and then its off to the disinformation races.  "Hey, you know what, I heard the NFL is fixing games for better ratings, its all rigged, you know, like elections."    Great, just great.

Edited by Mickey
punctuation
  • Eyeroll 1

38 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Classic conspiracy garbage: "I am not saying this crazy thing is true, I am just asking if this crazy thing could be true. "  To ask is to suggest there are facts enough to make the inquiry worthwhile. What are your facts? Points of emphasis?  Hmmmm....could that be the officials trying to do a better job or is it proof the league is manipulating outcomes, ie, fixing games?  Ridiculous.  Oh but its possible because people are paid well by the league so surely a massive conspiracy could be kept quiet because people are paid to be quiet. Again, ridiculous.  It is discussions like this that turn into rumors and then its off to the disinformation races.  "Hey, you know what, I heard the NFL is fixing games for better ratings, its all rigged, you know, like elections."    Great, just great.

I think you're trying to create an argument where no argument exists, no one ever said there was a conspiracy of any sort.

Where you may be getting confused is I DID say the rules have been manipulated to increase scoring which in turn increased TV ratings, and I don't think anyone would refute that. The radio interview of the other day put me on a slippery slope and caused me to wonder if there could be the possibility of further "manipulations" to effect other desired outcomes and just how far the league would go and for what outcomes, and at what point does the fan base decide that football is no longer a sport but purely a scripted reality TV show.

For example; anyone with a modicum of sense knows professional wrestling is scripted entertainment and in no way shape or form any kind of legitimate sport, however it seems to enjoy a rabid following (no where near the NFL, but a rabid following none the less). 

The discussions I anticipated were philosophical NOT factual and in no way intended to suggest that there is any "proof" of an ongoing conspiracy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.