Car with possibly 2 people inside near the brink of the American Falls at NF

T&C

8 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

People have gone over The Falls in a barrel... Why not try The Buick!

😬😬😬😬😬

Can't they can drop the flow of water...  So the car hangs up? ... It's only inches deep over the precipice.

You're asking us? I thought you supervised all of the water in the NE.

Buddy of mine in Buff said that they Don't have cables down that far so maybe they are pressed onto an underwater boulder.

• Like (+1) 1

From the article, looks like the woman had a heart attack and  drove into the river between the pedestrian and vehiclular bridges to Goat Island. The road is not that near to the water. She was the only occupant.

The cables across the river are just downstream of Grand Island, several miles from the falls themselves. They are near where the big orange warning signs are located on the American shore.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Saw on the 5 PM news. They said the car drove from Goat island into the river. It is now in the middle of the river about 50-75 feet from the brink. The Coast Guard lowered a man from a copter to the car and got the woman out. Didn't say if she was dead already or died on the way to the hospital. The water was lapping over the hood and against the windshield. Temps are in upper 20, water temp is 40  and chill factor is in the teens. 

36 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Saw on the 5 PM news. They said the car drove from Goat island into the river. It is now in the middle of the river about 50-75 feet from the brink. The Coast Guard lowered a man from a copter to the car and got the woman out. Didn't say if she was dead already or died on the way to the hospital. The water was lapping over the hood and against the windshield. Temps are in upper 20, water temp is 40  and chill factor is in the teens. 

This source states that in 40 degree water, exhaustion or unconsciousness can result in as little as 30 minutes and survival time may be 60-90 minutes

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO Documents/5p/CG-5PC/CG-CVC/CVC3/notice/flyers/Cold_Water_Survival_Hypothermia.pdf

Also sounds as though heart attack can occur on the initial shock of immersion

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This source states that in 40 degree water, exhaustion or unconsciousness can result in as little as 30 minutes and survival time may be 60-90 minutes

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO Documents/5p/CG-5PC/CG-CVC/CVC3/notice/flyers/Cold_Water_Survival_Hypothermia.pdf

Also sounds as though heart attack can occur on the initial shock of immersion

"Torso reflex"

https://lifesaving.com/issues-safety-rescue/prevention-and-management-of-torso-reflex/

We still got Idiot fisherman/hunters in bassboats still boating.  Water is 37°... No PFD, immersion suit, or even float coats... Just Carhartts with bibs... At least that will help stay warm a little... When those get soaked & heavy and they're at the bottom of the river... /smh

"Torso Reflex, also known as Gasp Reflex , Inhalation Response, or Cold Water Shock, is caused by sudden immersion into water colder than 70 degrees F. Sudden immersion into cold water triggers an involuntary reflexive torso gasp that can cause the person to aspirate water into his/her airway and lungs, which can lead to laryngospasm, disorientation, panic, and the loss of any physical ability to swim or remain afloat."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 2

She might have had a medical experience before that that caused her to lose control... no one just finds a way to drive into the river unless its on purpose... which, who knows... guess the medical examiner will determine that.

37 minutes ago, T&C said:

She might have had a medical experience before that that caused her to lose control... no one just finds a way to drive into the river unless its on purpose... which, who knows... guess the medical examiner will determine that.

True on the medical experience

I guess I was thinking could have lost control of the car for some reason - brake to avoid a kid or a squirrel, distracted,  tire blew, whatever?

2 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Can’t imagine how they will get that out. Even if you use a crane, you need to get someone in the water to hook up the cables properly. I wouldn’t think getting a car out of the water is worth any risk to human life. 

Ya, It ain't hurting anything. I sure hope they have a camera on it when it goes over, though 

• Like (+1) 1

Looks like a suicide. Woman drove down one of the walking paths along the water, backed up and then went into the water in one of the few places along the water with no trees. The car went in the water about a 1000 feet above the brink and floated  to where it got stuck.  She was probably already dead when the Coast Guard arrived. They had to fly an hour from near Detroit and she was in the water for 2 hours.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Wacka said:

Looks like a suicide. Woman drove down one of the walking paths along the water, backed up and then went into the water in one of the few places along the water with no trees. The car went in the water about a 1000 feet above the brink and floated  to where it got stuck.  She was probably already dead when the Coast Guard arrived. They had to fly an hour from near Detroit and she was in the water for 2 hours.

Seems a little odd that the Coast Guard doesn't have a helicopter closer than that given the proximity to two huge bodies of water with an assload of shipping on them.

• Agree 2

On 12/8/2021 at 3:03 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

People have gone over The Falls in a barrel... Why not try The Buick!

😬😬😬😬😬

Can't they can drop the flow of water...  So the car hangs up? ... It's only inches deep over the precipice.

I believe that they did reduce the flow, on the American side.  That facilitated the recovery of the driver.

17 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I guess if you add an old rusty car into the mix it's no big deal.  

jun2019_d21_prologue.jpg

hero-image.fill.size_1200x900.v162739351

B88767905Z.1_20190628144751_000_G8KKVJA9

Great pics.  Graduated from Niagara U in 1969, and that's when that project occurred.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I believe that they did reduce the flow, on the American side.  That facilitated the recovery of the driver.

Great pics.  Graduated from Niagara U in 1969, and that's when that project occurred.

Must have been a very interesting time to be spending all that time right next to the gorge, where you could see what was going on with the falls.  

After I graduated undergrad, I worked for about a year as an administrator at Niagara University.

I worked in Alumni Hall.  I will never forget one day, walking to the office early in the morning, in winter.

I was approaching the Hall from my parking spot to the east of campus.

As I got near the gorge and the door to go in, what must have been a 50 MPH + wind gust blew off the gorge, straight at me, and stopped me from walking forward.  It was probably in the 20s to begin with that morning, and with the wind gust, it felt like Satan was trying to hug me.

For a few seconds, I think that was as cold as I have ever been!  It was just absurd how cold and windy it was.  

That would have been some time in winter of 1993-1994.  Still remember it vividly.

• Like (+1) 1

They said there will be a seiche on Lake Erie tomorrow morning because of the possible 65 mph  winds. Since lake erie is shallow(~60 ft) at Buffalo  the wind nay raise the level of the lake  at this end a foot or two.

Edited by Wacka

20 minutes ago, Wacka said:

They said there will be a seiche on Lake Erie tomorrow morning because of the possible 65 mph  winds. Since lake erie is shallow(~60 ft) at Buffalo  the wind nay raise the level of the lake  at this end a foot or two.

Interesting!

350px-Illustration_of_the_phenomenon_of_

21 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Interesting!

350px-Illustration_of_the_phenomenon_of_

Along these lines, my normal Saturday morning drive down by the old Palmwood Hotel in Crystal Beach was derailed by the town already having put up barricades at both the big hill on Ridgeway Road, and Lake Avenue.  Weather like this usually brings out a few board surfers, but the town must not be willing to run rescue missions later if there's a large seiche effect.

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Along these lines, my normal Saturday morning drive down by the old Palmwood Hotel in Crystal Beach was derailed by the town already having put up barricades at both the big hill on Ridgeway Road, and Lake Avenue.  Weather like this usually brings out a few board surfers, but the town must not be willing to run rescue missions later if there's a large seiche effect.

I remember the Palmwood late 50's & 60's, always had a sewer odor around it.  Hope that;s been fixed?  I was too young to go in, at that time.  Had to settle for a few rides on the Comet.

31 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I remember the Palmwood late 50's & 60's, always had a sewer odor around it.  Hope that;s been fixed?  I was too young to go in, at that time.  Had to settle for a few rides on the Comet.

In that era, they might have still been working off septic tanks in the area.  Palmwood has been demolished, and construction on new condos on the site are in progress.  Municipal sewer works with recent upgrades are at the corner of Ridgeway Road and Crystal Beach Drive.

Also, in some years seaweed drying on rocks can kick up a terrible odour.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.