Does AJ Epenesa exist?

FireChans

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

This will be an interesting off-season. With the vets gone in Hughes and Addison, the young guys will need to step up.

Honestly, Obada has been promising the last few weeks. We've seen flashes from the rookies.

I remember Bills coaches and players talking Epenesa up so much in the preseason, but he hasn't been a factor in the regular season. It is for sure disappointing.

I agree completely. I do think it would be great to have that finisher. But I do think we have been affecting throws and causing discomfort. It's just been a long time since we had a guy who consistently brought the QB down. Probably Mario Williams was the last guy?

Yeah, I thought Epenesa came out strong in preseason and the first few games of the regular season, and then has been a bit disappointing since. I'm not ready to give up on him yet as a guy who could be a solid productive part of the D, but I had hoped for more from him at this point. I am still fairly high on Rousseau and think he and Basham will take big steps forward next season.

I would love that finisher as well. But the truth is, a great pass rushing defensive end, in terms of ability to generate sacks and dominate a game, is rare. I would settle for that 2nd tier DE that can generate consistent pressure and 8-10 sacks.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Yeah, I thought Epenesa came out strong in preseason and the first few games of the regular season, and then has been a bit disappointing since. I'm not ready to give up on him yet as a guy who could be a solid productive part of the D, but I had hoped for more from him at this point. I am still fairly high on Rousseau and think he and Basham will take big steps forward next season.

I would love that finisher as well. But the truth is, a great pass rushing defensive end, in terms of ability to generate sacks and dominate a game, is rare. I would settle for that 2nd tier DE that can generate consistent pressure and 8-10 sacks.

We haven’t had 8-10 sacks from an edge defender since 2016 lol that wouldn’t be settling at this point.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

We haven’t had 8-10 sacks from an edge defender since 2016 lol that wouldn’t be settling at this point.

Oh yeah, that would be great. I'll take 8-10 sacks in a heartbeat.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I agree completely. I do think it would be great to have that finisher. But I do think we have been affecting throws and causing discomfort. It's just been a long time since we had a guy who consistently brought the QB down. Probably Mario Williams was the last guy?

Yep. And Mario was underappreciated by a lot of our fans too.

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. And Mario was underappreciated by a lot of our fans too.

Absolutely. It's just because of how it ended with him, but the majority of his time here he was an elite pass rusher.

• Like (+1) 1

I think we miss Lorenzo and Kyle both veterans who new how to get it done.  One thing I will say for all our edge rushers is that if our interior rushers got better penetration our edge rushers would see more sacks.  Kyle used to constantly be in the backfield or disrupting plays.  Oliver and lately Phillips seem to be stepping up their games hopefully the whole line is coming around and we will see benefits.  It's not uncommon for it to take several seasons for D lineman to develop.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.