Does CB Now Become a Necessity Early in 2022 Draft

thronethinker

First off, let’s just say there are so many variables in this process that we might not draft a CB or G at all if we sign enough FA’s to fill the void.

Also, we really need to see how the rest of the season goes, specifically Dane Jackson. If our DBs can relatively hold up w/o White, then maybe a top flight DB will not be needed.

Also, McD is a defensive minded coach. His defenses play alot of zone, which will protect your DBs. So I bet McD can squeeze more potential out of lower round DB’s than other coaches.

Finally, we (mostly) all applaud Beane’s dumpster fire player pickups to finding those low cost diamonds because we all recognize that we cannot have All Pro’s at every position in a salary cap league. It turns out this year our low cost Guards are being exposed and Ford isn’t panning out.  Let’s pray every night Spencer Brown stays healthy the rest of the year.

With that all said, not taking the value of positions into account, we really need a big fatty DT and more OLine help in the draft.  We also need to draft a CB and RB (which we should do every year IMO) somewhere in the draft.

I think we can get good WR’s and a blocking TE in FA. I think the offensive skill players recognize that playing with Josh Allen will help their career stats and have a legit shot at the Super Bowl every year.

We need to protect our most valuable asset, Josh Allen.  When he gets a ‘solid’ OLine in front of him (like how our OLine played last year), the sky is the limit for this offense.

So, we need Big Fatty DT, OLine (at least 2 in draft), CB, RB at a minimum. I’ll let Beane decide when to take them. Haha.

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah it's important to not forget that priority #1 of any NFL team should be to make the QB look good.

If the Bills want to preserve Josh Allen...........and in doing so keep themselves relevant in the NFL........then they need to remember that on draft day because the Cam Newton impersonation he's doing this season isn't likely to be sustainable. 

Yeah I am very interested in Penning for the Bills.  

The re-emergence of New England in particular could lead to the Bills going back to a more physical approach on offense and Penning makes sense.    They are in a good position contract-wise in the coming seasons with Dawkins as well........he'd be a bargain even as a guard(where I think he'd be excellent).

I could see them addressing both OT and TE in the first 3 rounds.    And WR is a big need, IMO as well.

I value CB play........CB1 is an elite money position.........but I think what this defense will still need most is a finishing pass rusher.    Things are lining up for a potentially reasonable Khalil Mack trade this offseason but it's likely to require one of those first 3 picks at least.   Whereas they might be able to get a physical upgrade over Levi and Dane at a bargain rate in UFA.   

I LOVE the idea of drafting a high-upside LT with the last pick in Round 1 and bookending him with Brown, moving the highly-talented but sporadically-motivated Dawkins and Williams inside, and either keeping Morse as the pivot or going with Bates or even a now center-sized Mongo.  You’re basically upgrading the entire line AND building it for the future on a cost-controlled structure.

Sorry for all the hyphens.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, thronethinker said:

With our lack of CB depth and the obvious with Tre, will Buffalo look for a CB early in 2022? Obviously the OL needs to be addressed as well, but this may have created another need. I am not saying Tre wont recover, but with these injuries you never know.

Let’s see what the next six weeks bring. 

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Rather than trying to replace White for however long he'll be inactive or below his current level of play, the Bills should instead be looking to improve the offense to compensate for the defense's loss. White's role isn't going to be replaced that easily. But last year we had a below average defense carried to the AFCCG by an elite offense. That can happen again if resources are used properly. Next year I envision an elite offense with much improved pass protection, and White returning to his normal level of play in the back half of the season just in time to make a deep playoff run.

This. 

I’m all for drafting a corner high….as long as we don’t spend bucks on Levi.  If we sign levi to a decent $ contract AND draft a cornerback high, I’d be shocked.  If we draft a corner and spend Levi’s money on a IOL, I’m good with that.  

8 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

Should always be looking at CB in the draft.

Agreed…..but not not “early” in every draft.

23 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

We’ve got all off season to talk about this.

Exactly ! We’re in the midst of a tightly contested AFC race and a surprisingly close division battle. Subjects such as the draft by Thanksgiving were the norm on this board for way too long! So much BBFS creep on here lately. We have a very good team now and these are exciting times to be a fan. Fans expect futility or a cakewalk, but tough close contests are really what’s most common in the NFL. Some fans are ready to pack it in at the first sign of adversity. That’s not what a long football season is about. 

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah it's important to not forget that priority #1 of any NFL team should be to make the QB look good.

If the Bills want to preserve Josh Allen...........and in doing so keep themselves relevant in the NFL........then they need to remember that on draft day because the Cam Newton impersonation he's doing this season isn't likely to be sustainable. 

Yeah I am very interested in Penning for the Bills.  

The re-emergence of New England in particular could lead to the Bills going back to a more physical approach on offense and Penning makes sense.    They are in a good position contract-wise in the coming seasons with Dawkins as well........he'd be a bargain even as a guard(where I think he'd be excellent).

I could see them addressing both OT and TE in the first 3 rounds.    And WR is a big need, IMO as well.

I value CB play........CB1 is an elite money position.........but I think what this defense will still need most is a finishing pass rusher.    Things are lining up for a potentially reasonable Khalil Mack trade this offseason but it's likely to require one of those first 3 picks at least.   Whereas they might be able to get a physical upgrade over Levi and Dane at a bargain rate in UFA.   

I think they will bring a corner in earlyish in the draft if it falls that way - but they showed last year they won't reach for one if the board doesn't fall that way. 

Entirely agree their priority should be more talent around Josh. I am with you that a left tackle and slide Dion inside is the way to address the line if the draft falls right (with another mid range FA guard). A wide receiver on day 1 or 2 is a must as well. As for tight end, I think they will take one, but not day 1 or 2. Again though, I might change my mind on that when I get a better overall handle on this class. 

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Exactly ! We’re in the midst of a tightly contested AFC race and a surprisingly close division battle. Subjects such as the draft by Thanksgiving were the norm on this board for way too long! So much BBFS creep on here lately. We have a very good team now and these are exciting times to be a fan. Fans expect futility or a cakewalk, but tough close contests are really what’s most common in the NFL. Some fans are ready to pack it in at the first sign of adversity. That’s not what a long football season is about. 

Well you must have wandered aimlessly into the wrong place then.    The topic of the thread is literally about the draft.   If you don't care you simply shouldn't have opened it.   Not every thread has to be about what's happening today in relation to a game this week.

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I LOVE the idea of drafting a high-upside LT with the last pick in Round 1 and bookending him with Brown, moving the highly-talented but sporadically-motivated Dawkins and Williams inside, and either keeping Morse as the pivot or going with Bates or even a now center-sized Mongo.  You’re basically upgrading the entire line AND building it for the future on a cost-controlled structure.

Sorry for all the hyphens.

(You technically don't need the first two. 🤔)

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Rather than trying to replace White for however long he'll be inactive or below his current level of play, the Bills should instead be looking to improve the offense to compensate for the defense's loss. White's role isn't going to be replaced that easily. But last year we had a below average defense carried to the AFCCG by an elite offense. That can happen again if resources are used properly. Next year I envision an elite offense with much improved pass protection, and White returning to his normal level of play in the back half of the season just in time to make a deep playoff run.

I had the same thought. The defense will drop a notch but will still be strong. If the offense can go up a notch and also be strong(er), they could go all the way, with some luck. Every team has flaws, especially in the AFC. It'll come down to improving the O-line and avoiding more injuries.

On 11/26/2021 at 5:02 PM, Koufax said:

I agree with DJB. If a CB is the best available player at #32 then take him. But we are adding as much five year talent at each pick and not expecting our picks to be instant saviors at their position. 

If we are drafting at 32 I won't care who or what we draft.  I will still be celebrating. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.