Lil Dirty - Benched (update - He’s back and better than ever)

YoloinOhio

32 minutes ago, Iverwig said:

It’s funny how some come up with  things out of their emotions while completely ignoring the stats. 

It's just in some people's DNA.  I recall many wanting Andre Roberts gone in the offseason following him being - literally - the best returner in the NFL.  It's crazy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

7 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Apparently one of each.

He’s muffed more than 1 punt in his day. I like the guy but he’s visibly shook back there returning. Time for our draft pick to get the nod, he most likely can’t do any worse, the kid look decent yesterday 

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

It's just in some people's DNA.  I recall many wanting Andre Roberts gone in the offseason following him being - literally - the best returner in the NFL.  It's crazy.

How’s roberts doing this year? Oh yeah that’s right…

• Like (+1) 3

On 11/25/2021 at 7:01 PM, Apocalypse Nuts said:

When he fumbled that last kick return after falling down when nobody touched him, I said to myself that was likely his last game as a Bill.  McD don't play around with fumbles and McKenzie can't seem to stop.

If true, this is an over-reaction by McD.  McKenzie has made some big plays - not a ton, but a solid contributor.  He stumbled trying to set himself up for a better lane on the kick return and was unfortunate in losing the ball on when tripping himself up and hitting the ground.  It's not like he's a turnover machine.  It was an unfortunate and untimely fumble, but to bench the guy over it seems over-the-top.  That's just my opinion - I suppose McD knows what he's doing.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

If true, this is an over-reaction by McD.  McKenzie has made some big plays - not a ton, but a solid contributor.  He stumbled trying to set himself up for a better lane on the kick return and was unfortunate in losing the ball on when tripping himself up and hitting the ground.  It's not like he's a turnover machine.  It was an unfortunate and untimely fumble, but to bench the guy over it seems over-the-top.  That's just my opinion - I suppose McD knows what he's doing.

But he is a turnover machine.  Haven’t you been paying attention?  He fumbles or muffs a punt/kick on a fairly regular basis.  He has terrible hands.  It would absolutely not be an overreaction to send him packing.  He’s flashed impressive stuff from time to time but he’s too much of a liability.  A big reason no other team signed him last offseason.  They brought him back cheap.

Edited by Apocalypse Nuts

5 minutes ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

But he is a turnover machine.  Haven’t you been paying attention?  He fumbles or muffs a punt/kick on a fairly regular basis.  He has terrible hands.  It would absolutely not be an overreaction to send him packing.  He’s flashed impressive stuff from time to time but he’s too much of a liability.  A big reason no other team signed him last offseason?  They brought him back cheap.

According to https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/fumbles-lost, Mckenzie has had only one lost fumble this season.  I agree, he's mishandled some punts, but cannot call him a "turnover machine" based on one lost fumble all season long.  He also brings versatility to the offense, too.  Anyhow, I do think the Bills will be just fine without him, too.  I suppose a message needs to be sent - just saying I don't think the guy is a bum, either.

15 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

According to https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/fumbles-lost, Mckenzie has had only one lost fumble this season.  I agree, he's mishandled some punts, but cannot call him a "turnover machine" based on one lost fumble all season long.  He also brings versatility to the offense, too.  Anyhow, I do think the Bills will be just fine without him, too.  I suppose a message needs to be sent - just saying I don't think the guy is a bum, either.

That’s really splitting hairs I think.  So he has recovered some of his drops so they aren’t listed as turnovers.  You just cannot have a returner with crappy hands.  Clearly he does.

10 hours ago, foreboding said:

None of us know what's happening in practices.  He might be fumbling regularly and then after the last couple gametime bumbles, McD decided it was enough. 

Maybe the NFL book-makers got to him  :)  - just kidding (I hope)

14 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

The answer could he very simple why McKenzie got benched

The coaches think Stevenson is better. It was the first game he was available to play and he instantly got the call to play

Nah. I'd rather believe he was the plan all along, but with being a rookie and the injury it just delayed it.🙄. I'll go into my fantasy world and say Daboll is missing Lil Dirty in his offense. They had to see if Stevenson was ready, gave Mckensie a week off (and a b*tch slap) to get ready to play more offensive snaps.😁. Yes, I am a big, Lil Dirty fan and I can dream.😉

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/26/2021 at 8:24 PM, Apocalypse Nuts said:

But he is a turnover machine.  Haven’t you been paying attention?  He fumbles or muffs a punt/kick on a fairly regular basis.  He has terrible hands.  It would absolutely not be an overreaction to send him packing.  He’s flashed impressive stuff from time to time but he’s too much of a liability.  A big reason no other team signed him last offseason.  They brought him back cheap.

McKenzie hasn't been returning kicks or punts on regular basis in 2019 and 2020.

How many has he fumbled or muffed this season?

How many did Stevenson muff in this past game?

On 11/26/2021 at 9:24 PM, Apocalypse Nuts said:

For being so terrible, it's shocking that he's #5 in the NFL for average yards per KO return.

Or ... perhaps he's not terrible at all ... nor is he a liability.

• Eyeroll 1

On 11/26/2021 at 8:55 PM, Apocalypse Nuts said:

That’s really splitting hairs I think.  So he has recovered some of his drops so they aren’t listed as turnovers.  You just cannot have a returner with crappy hands.  Clearly he does.

Pro-football-reference lists fumbles whether or not they are recovered.

Muffs are listed as muffs (but not necessarily fumbles) whether or not they are recovered

McKenzie has one fumble and one muff on the season.  If you believe he has more, show your work

I don't have a problem with McDermott benching lil' Dirty and giving Stevenson a shot.  I thought that fumble was egregious and we can't have that. 

On the other hand, I think McKenzie deserves his propers for his play as a returner this season, and he hasn't shown me "crappy hands".  Again, if that's what you see, I'm willing to be corrected, but Tell - which games, which quarter, etc etc.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.