Top 10 Ballhawks of 2021- Nick Shook NFL.com an example of how elite our secondary is

JerseyBills

Only 1 Bill made the top 10 and that'd be Levi Wallace landing at 9, one of the best contracts on our team.

He almost put Taron at 10 but went with Xavier Howard but gave Taron an honorable mention. 

He uses a metric called ballhawk rate as one of the ways he made this list.

It just blows my mind how good this secondary is where we have 2 guys on this list that most football fans can't even name! Add in a S duo that went from elite to all time great imo this year. I remember recently hearing that Hyde n Poyer are so locked in together that they can wink and the other will understand and adjust to the play. Add in Tre White who is a star CB and largely regarded as a top 5 CB in the game. It's pretty remarkable that none of these guys were on our roster when McBeane took over in 2017.

Just wanted to show some love to the D and remind everyone we are playing at a Championship level at D and ST with 9 games to go for the offense to work out the kinks and bring a Lombardi to WNY!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nfl.com/_amp/top-10-nfl-ballhawks-in-2021-kevin-byard-trevon-diggs-among-those-making-plays

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Leodis McKelvin was the most athletic cornerback I’ve ever seen but his ball skills were so terrible his career never got on track.  It’s something you either have or you don’t, most of the time - an innate sense of where the ball/puck/frisbee is going.  That plus studying routes makes Wallace a strong number 2 man.  Wonder if someone will overpay him as a 1 when his contract is up.

• Agree 1

Ive been rocking a Poyer jersey since last year, and have been a fan of his game for awhile.  When he knocked Cam backwards- that  cemented my respect for Poyer.  Jordan makes plays.  Him and Hyde always know what the other is planning.  Taron, Levi, Tre, Jordan, and Hyde we are super blessed.  I think all 5 beasts will play together next few years. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Leodis McKelvin was the most athletic cornerback I’ve ever seen but his ball skills were so terrible his career never got on track.  It’s something you either have or you don’t, most of the time - an innate sense of where the ball/puck/frisbee is going.  That plus studying routes makes Wallace a strong number 2 man.  Wonder if someone will overpay him as a 1 when his contract is up.

Leodis coudn't play CB, but great returner.  Was it him that ran 170 yards or something on one play, no time left until halftime, tackled at the 1 or something, some Bill did the dirtiest, yet greatest stealth punch to the nuts, play in NFL history LOL.  against the Saints?

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

Leodis coudn't play CB, but great returner.  Was it him that ran 170 yards or something on one play, no time left until halftime, tackled at the 1 or something, some Bill did the dirtiest, yet greatest stealth punch to the nuts, play in NFL history LOL.  against the Saints?

Does anyone know the return Im talking about?  Im not sure if it was McKelvin.  Amazing play.  On so many levels.  That play really was a metaphor for the Bills 2000-2017

Just now, cwater10 said:

That was Terrance McGee:

***** yeah!  Watch for the stealth ball punch.  This really deserves its own thread lol   We tried to figure who threw it,  The dude drops like a sack of potatoes lol  by the the ball puncher was running full speed from another direction dropped the guy, and was nowhere near him when he hit the ground lol

• Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

When leodis stopped being a full-time returner.. and focused on cornerback

He absolutely started displaying ball skills

Unfortunately he was just 29 years old

He had some beautiful interceptions late in his career..  was top five in the league in 2014 before he got hurt and interceptions and was top 10 in past breakups the year before if I recall correctly

Like you said super athletic, but he really didn't put it together at corner till he was 28 29

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Only 1 Bill made the top 10 and that'd be Levi Wallace landing at 9, one of the best contracts on our team.

He almost put Taron at 10 but went with Xavier Howard but gave Taron an honorable mention. 

He uses a metric called ballhawk rate as one of the ways he made this list.

It just blows my mind how good this secondary is where we have 2 guys on this list that most football fans can't even name! Add in a S duo that went from elite to all time great imo this year. I remember recently hearing that Hyde n Poyer are so locked in together that they can wink and the other will understand and adjust to the play. Add in Tre White who is a star CB and largely regarded as a top 5 CB in the game. It's pretty remarkable that none of these guys were on our roster when McBeane took over in 2017.

Just wanted to show some love to the D and remind everyone we are playing at a Championship level at D and ST with 9 games to go for the offense to work out the kinks and bring a Lombardi to WNY!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nfl.com/_amp/top-10-nfl-ballhawks-in-2021-kevin-byard-trevon-diggs-among-those-making-plays

Butbutbut...Levi Wallace sucks....

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

By cornerback standards Levi is not a very good athlete so what he’s been able to achieve is incredible.

- Walk on - earns a starting job at Alabama

- UDFA - earns a starting with Buffalo

- Holds onto starting job for 2 seasons while the teams has been trying to replace him 

I can see Levi getting an offer that too good to pass up, though he does seem to be happy in Buffalo

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Levi walk on at Alabama.  Undrafted.  Underestimated,.  It all speaks of Levis character.  Levi is overachiever who makes haters look silly

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Butbutbut...Levi Wallace sucks....

The league would agree with that assessment.  He was an UDFA that we didn’t even tender.  He signed for under 2M on a 1 year contract.  

Last year, he was meh.  Not terrible.  I viewed him as a player that would be a target of opposing offenses.  To his credit, he’s been solid.  He’s also had his share of bad plays and missed tackles.  He could still be upgraded. 

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

That would be like the Eagles signing Byron Maxwell.  A major mistake.  Levi has been a solid zone corner this year.  He isn’t setting the world on fire regardless of what this guy says.  Solid 

Taron Johnson has been excellent in coverage.  This year.  Good to see after we paid him big slot corner bucks.  He’s been among the best if not THE best slot CB in the league this year. Keep up the good work.

Big props for taron

Edited by NewEra

11 hours ago, Pete said:

***** yeah!  Watch for the stealth ball punch.  This really deserves its own thread lol   We tried to figure who threw it,  The dude drops like a sack of potatoes lol  by the the ball puncher was running full speed from another direction dropped the guy, and was nowhere near him when he hit the ground lol

The ball punch is great. It's like a sniper took that guy out! 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Pete said:

Levi walk on at Alabama.  Undrafted.  Underestimated,.  It all speaks of Levis character.  Levi is overachiever who makes haters look silly

A walk on gets a scholarship then starts on the best CF team in the country then does it again as a pro and he keeps getting better every year.

Then every year the talk starts ....do the Bills draft CB2?.... who do the Bills sign for CB2? 

Then the kid earns his spot and every team decides to throw to his side of the field because of White and the now the kid is starting to really make plays.

He is CB2 and no one is knocking that battery off his shoulder.

Edited by JMF2006

1 hour ago, Captain_Quint said:

The ball punch is great. It's like a sniper took that guy out! 

I really want to find out who delivered the stealth nut punch.  That was like SAS textbook.  I bet Special Teams film room highlighted that over and over.  So any player from that game must know who threw it.  Someone please ask a podcast or radio call in show and find out if you ever hear that era Bills players on

11 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

A walk on gets a scholarship then starts on the best CF team in the country then does it again as a pro and he keeps getting better every year.

Then every year the talk starts ....do the Bills draft CB2?.... who do the Bills sign for CB2? 

Then the kid earns his spot and every team decides to throw to his side of the field because of White and the now the kid is starting to really make plays.

He is CB2 and no one is knocking that battery off his shoulder.

Wallace is a good cornerback.  He has some ball skills and is technically sound.  However, he is always going to be somewhat limited athletically.  If the Bills face a team with more than one receiver that possesses an elite or close to elite skill set, particularly receivers with either elite speed or elite size and strength, Wallace is going to struggle.  Like any team, the Bills are not going to be able to have elite players at every position.  There may be an opportunity to upgrade from Wallace at some point, but Buffalo may continue to go with Wallace and try and upgrade elsewhere.  A lot depends with the way the draft falls, what is available via free agency, and what the Bills' cap situation looks like at any given point.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.