No random thoughts this week (LAMP)

Virgil

48 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Look forward to your next writeup Virgil.  On a different note, I have yet to watch the Bills Jags game.  I had out of town visitors this weekend who are not football fans.  I heard that they lost and came to TBD to read comments.  I got so depressed hearing about the details.  I'll watch it some point this week.  The last game I missed was before Directv was invented.

This was the type of game you’ll watch and when it’s over you'll have a look of disgust on your face and think to yourself “I still want to watch the Bills play a football game.”   

yeah, it’s that bad. 

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Just in Atlanta said:

Here comes the B team ...

Thoughts about the Jags game, in no particular order:

1. The Cover 2 "shell" concept was credited for stymying Josh. Seems like a vanilla defensive plan to this fan. A quick google of the scheme yielded this: "The main weakness of the Cover 2 shell occurs in the middle of the field between the safeties. At the snap of the ball, many times the safeties will move toward the sidelines in order to cover any long passes to quick wide receivers. This movement creates a natural hole between the safeties that can be attacked." I find it hard to believe our offensive coordinator would be dumbfounded against this scheme. Something else is amiss IMO.

The COVER 2 is effective IF you are able to get pressure quickly on the QB. Both Allen and Mahomes this season are having guys coming through before they can even make a read properly. Yea the Cover 2 takes away the easy downfield threat, but the bigger issue is more the lack of time to get the open guy. Given Allen 3 seconds of true pocket time not him running to make the pocket and the effect is muted. The Titans game they ran Cover 2 a lot but he had more time to make throws. That really is the crux of it to me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Look forward to your next writeup Virgil.  On a different note, I have yet to watch the Bills Jags game.  I had out of town visitors this weekend who are not football fans.  I heard that they lost and came to TBD to read comments.  I got so depressed hearing about the details.  I'll watch it some point this week.  The last game I missed was before Directv was invented.

OH!  So this is YOUR fault!  Next time send your out-of-town guests to the Zoo or something and watch the damned game!  You owe it to us!

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I disagree. Tom Brady has played against every type of defense with every type of O Line in front of him. If they play two deep you just dink and dunk it in front of them. Protection isn’t a problem with eight yard passes. You FORCE them to come out of it! 

Please remember the Brady you see now was not the Brady that existed back in the first part of his career. 2007 was the year he morphed into the guy you see now. I think if Allen gets another year or two of facing this coverage the patience and attack will come like Brady. Up until this point he hadn't faced coverage like this and against the Titans he picked them to pieces so the ability is there.

4 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Please remember the Brady you see now was not the Brady that existed back in the first part of his career. 2007 was the year he morphed into the guy you see now. I think if Allen gets another year or two of facing this coverage the patience and attack will come like Brady. Up until this point he hadn't faced coverage like this and against the Titans he picked them to pieces so the ability is there.

Add in the fact that the Patriots* O-Line never gets called for holding.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, DCbillsfan said:

Trust me, don't

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/8/2021 at 9:49 AM, Virgil said:

Mods, I honestly didn't know what else to call this or where to put it.

I won't be able to write my random thoughts post this week.  I apologize as I know there are a few who look forward to that weekly post.  Other have posted similar threads and did an excellent job. I recommend taking a look. 

My apologies

Edit - many are assuming this is because they lost and I’m upset about it.  That is not the case.  I am pissed they lost, but I’ve written plenty of these after a bad loss.  Other things, that I don’t feel like sharing came up, and I don’t want to half ass it.  Also, my seats made a lot of things difficult to see, so I don’t even know if my notes are accurate.  

All things I didn’t think I had to go into, but apparently some look for the negative 

Hope everything works out for you and yours. 

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Add in the fact that the Patriots* O-Line never gets called for holding.

The Patriots had a secret OL weapon for years in "Coach Scar" (Dante Scarnecchia).  He started as OL coach the year before Belicheck took over in 1999 and Belicheck made him "assistant head coach" as well as OL coach.

The man was a wizard.  Want to know why it seemed the NE Patriots could run their OL on scrap heaps and rookies?  That's one major reason why.

He retired briefly in the early 2010s and was begged to come back.

Part of the reason the Patriots OL never got called for holding was that he coached them to hold in ways that are harder to detect.

• Angry 1

On 11/8/2021 at 10:13 AM, Gugny said:

I'd be upset, too, if I spent all that money and traveled all that way to watch the Bills mail it in.

Look forward to you getting back in the saddle next Monday, Virg!

P.S. - Let me know if you need a hug ... or want to spoon.

Who do you think mailed it in? Names please.

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

The offensive line - all of them.

Haack.

Daboll.

McDermott.

😀 half of the o line sucks and the other half is mediocre to good. Don’t confuse suckage with mailing it in.

Haack is a terrific holder. Bass loves him some Haack.

coaches mailed it in is in the top 5 of preposterous statements I’ve read here.

Edited by Beerball
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Beerball said:

😀 half of the o line sucks and the other half is mediocre to good. Don’t confuse suckage with mailing it in.

Haack is a terrific holder. Bass loves him some Haack.

Please list the other four.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Beerball said:

"mailed it in is hyberbole with some slight truth.  McDerrmott got outcoached by Urban Meyer.  The Bills did not look prepared.  They didn't make adjustments.  McDermott refused to take the holding penalty ultimately cost us the game.  He blew other challenges.  And couldn't solve a 4 man rush that was smashing Josh all game.  So we can split hairs.  Woeful coaching job by McDermott IMO

Im a big fan of both McDermott and Beane, but I'm pumping the brakes a little after Jax debacle

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.