“Don’t p*** in the well you drink from”: are Bills as a team getting Jerry Hughes’d by the refs?

Hapless Bills Fan

Allen was observed cussing and swearing at the refs in last week’s Miami game

Of course, it was Jerry Hughes tunnel outburst capping off a usual practice of swearing and yelling at the refs, that have many of us feel he is “black balled” and doesn’t get the holding calls he should.

Are the Bills as a team getting on the bad side of the refs, especially Allen with his all-too-visible frustration?

Discuss

• Like (+1) 1

When Allen is literally calling for a flag during a play lol… Might be time to just play and not make the calls for the refs. I’ve seen Mahomes and Rodgers yell at refs before but I’m not sure Josh has that kind of respect with the zebras. The team is their own worst enemy. 

• Like (+1) 1

I wondered about this last week when Allen didn’t get the Offside call he was motioning for on a play that ended up blowing up on him.  It seems like the refs kind of let him hang himself out to dry on that play as if they resented all the plaintive pointing at the line …

2 minutes ago, cwater10 said:

I wondered about this last week when Allen didn’t get the Offside call he was motioning for on a play that ended up blowing up on him.  It seems like the refs kind of let him hang himself out to dry on that play as if they resented all the plaintive pointing at the line …

Exactly,  these PT premadonnas are all powerful and above reproach. You start questioning their supreme authority and there's no turning back. No matter how embarrassing they are you can't challenge them. Jerry will suffer this fate till his career ends, like I said last week in my blackball post. Will Josh's popularity and revenue capacity outweigh his calls from the refs? Time will tell. 

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Exactly,  these PT premadonnas are all powerful and above reproach. You start questioning their supreme authority and there's no turning back. No matter how embarrassing they are you can't challenge them. Jerry will suffer this fate till his career ends, like I said last week in my blackball post. Will Josh's popularity and revenue capacity outweigh his calls from the refs? Time will tell. 

union.   that is the problem.  there is no need for a ref union where they make 6 figures at a part time job other than to protect gross incompetence and the good ol boys club. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Throwing up your arms looking for a flag is one thing

Cussing out the refs because they don’t give you one you expect is something else

He's gonna learn to control it over time, I'm sure.

I do think he needs to bring it to the league. He should compile examples from all around the league and send it to them. Start a dialogue (or continue the dialogue, if one's already been started).

I watch every game throughout the week on Game Pass and see so many inexcusable dumb calls in real time. I tend to think it's a problem with the "complex vagueness" of the rule book.

• Haha (+1) 1

My conspiracy is that the league has directed the refs to call the better teams tighter in the 1st quarter/1st half in games where its projected to be a blow out in order to keep the games as close and entertaining as long as possible. It's been 2 games in a row where in the first half the bills a double digit favorite seem to get called for just about everything early but then the second half gets called a bit more evenly

Great example is the tre white flag on the opening drive, no idea how you single one guy out in that situation  

21 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Great example is the tre white flag on the opening drive, no idea how you single one guy out in that situation  

Tre kept engaging after the play was over. He was baited for sure and it'd be nice if the refs caught that, but he’s gotta control his reaction.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, cwater10 said:

Would have been worse if he got the Offside call and then screwed it up by getting an intentional grounding on the play that would have negated it and enforced the grounding.

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

My conspiracy is that the league has directed the refs to call the better teams tighter in the 1st quarter/1st half in games where its projected to be a blow out in order to keep the games as close and entertaining as long as possible. It's been 2 games in a row where in the first half the bills a double digit favorite seem to get called for just about everything early but then the second half gets called a bit more evenly

I hate to be a conspiracy theorist, but I have had similar thoughts

• Shocked 1

46 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Yeah,  Terry Pegula isn't going to go for knowing that this is being done to his team.........and you can bet that every NFL owner ultimately knows what their own league is telling officials to do.

However..........human nature.......empathy/sympathy for struggling/underdog teams.........or the desire to be involved in exciting games.......could lead to officials doing what you are talking about quite voluntarily.  

The reality is that bad officiating really, really bonds fans to their teams........"the product"........so it's not going to ever "really" get fixed.

It's an entertainment product and all you have to do is watch how intentionally bad officiating stimulates the "us against them" in wrestling fans to know that it does the same to NFL fans.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.