What about slant routes ?

Italian Bills

20 minutes ago, Italian Bills said:

I really can not understand why we do not play more fast slant routes that a QB like Josh could hit easily for gains of 5, 6 or 7 yards almost every pass. This is really a mistery to me, mostly because our ugly OL. 

I don’t think it’s that we don’t call them necessarily. I mean, we don’t call much with Allen behind center which changes some things too, but I really think Allen is looking for the next big play. He’s got to stop playing with a TD in mind and has to start just playing for the first down, or the next next first down. Keep us in 3rd and manageable. Take the first rather than the home run.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, vincec said:

They were in 2 deep most of the time so the LBs are sitting on those underneath routes. They only went cover 0 occasionally, usually on 3rd and long.

I agree with you but i insist that with WR like Bease, Diggs and Sanders that can separate very  quickly in short yardage, Josh could fire darts on every play without any problem. 
I can not believe that they don’t consider this option but keep on looking for long ones or run the middle when our OL is absolutely not good enough. 

Just now, Italian Bills said:

I agree with you but i insist that with WR like Bease, Diggs and Sanders that can separate very  quickly in short yardage, Josh could fire darts on every play without any problem. 
I can not believe that they don’t consider this option but keep on looking for long ones or run the middle when our OL is absolutely not good enough. 

Without play action to pull linebackers out of position you aren't going to find a lot of room for slants against those defenses.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, vincec said:

Without play action to pull linebackers out of position you aren't going to find a lot of room for slants against those defenses.

Exactly.. another issue is the very few play action this offense does. Why ? Maybe having a very bad OL like we do, the best thing would be to use our backs together like blockers to give Allen more time. 

20 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

It happens often enough that you can't really make that a staple of your offense.

So Daboll's answer is his quick pass to the LOS "staple" that fails way more than it succeeds.  He needs to change it up.  

46 minutes ago, Italian Bills said:

Exactly.. another issue is the very few play action this offense does. Why ? Maybe having a very bad OL like we do, the best thing would be to use our backs together like blockers to give Allen more time. 

How about QB run-pass option.

Josh reads the LB as he fakes a run.  If the LB comes up he throws the slant behind the LB.  If the LB plays pass Josh runs it

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, vincec said:

I think it’s more telegraphing. Allen has to do a better job of holding the LB or safeties with his eyes. To Allen’s credit I think he knows where he “should” go with the ball most of the time. But he makes life harder for him and the receivers. The right read might be Diggs on a crosser, but he can’t watch Diggs and wait for him to get a step or make his cut. He needs to look at the back in the flat to hold the LB. Or follow Sanders on the post to keep the safety high. When he makes the throw to Diggs, it’s a great throw and a great catch. But he made the job harder on everybody. 

The the easiest example is our screen game (which I also blame on Daboll). It’s snap. Stare at the WR in the flat. Throw. If he could look down field for a split second to pause the defense, guys wouldn’t be fighting through traffic. 

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

You can’t throw a slant route when the pocket is consistently pushed back.  Why do you think Josh leads the league in tipped passes?

Huh? A slant is a drop and release the ball. 

3 hours ago, vincec said:

They were in 2 deep most of the time so the LBs are sitting on those underneath routes. They only went cover 0 occasionally, usually on 3rd and long.

That’s why you run a te post / corner with the slot slant underneath. 

3 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

Watch the wr routes we generally run. They are very intricate and long developing - run an out that curves into into a post back into an out. 

10 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Just a hunch, but I’m not sure Allen is efficient enough on the slant route to incorporate on it on a consistent basis...because I’ve been wondering, too, why we haven’t been seeing it...and if Allen was good at it, you would think they would use it...

Allen is perfect from slant routes.. and slantes scheme could avoid the first problem this team has: OL ! 

23 minutes ago, Italian Bills said:

Allen is perfect from slant routes.. and slantes scheme could avoid the first problem this team has: OL ! 

Yes, think about what Brady used to do every game.  The Bills rarely touched him because the ball was gone quickly.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.