Houston and Miami could have Deshaun Watson deal (update - no deal prior to trade deadline)

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

can you not see that the handling of this situation is a terrible look for Flores as a leader?

I would think it looks bad on the GM also. I believe I read somewhere Flores and the GM had some issues. Was something along the lines of Flores was forced to bench Fitz for Tua if I'm not mistaken. Also think it said Flores was banging the table for Herbert and GM picked Tua. Have no idea where to find the article, but it basically made it sound like Flores's input during draft were ignored.

Anyways, don't know how much truth it is to it if any, but either way not a good look. However, I'm 100%in love with their look myself lol

43 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I would think it looks bad on the GM also. I believe I read somewhere Flores and the GM had some issues. Was something along the lines of Flores was forced to bench Fitz for Tua if I'm not mistaken. Also think it said Flores was banging the table for Herbert and GM picked Tua. Have no idea where to find the article, but it basically made it sound like Flores's input during draft were ignored.

Anyways, don't know how much truth it is to it if any, but either way not a good look. However, I'm 100%in love with their look myself lol

I was listening to a podcast today and they said it was corroborated that Flores never wanted Tua. He wanted Herbert but Ross made them take Tua. Not sure who Grier wanted. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I was listening to a podcast today and they said it was corroborated that Flores never wanted Tua. He wanted Herbert but Ross made them take Tua. Not sure who Grier wanted. 

Yeah that sounds about like what I remember reading. Also do you recall anything in regards to something about Flores input throughout that draft was "ignored" and supposedly Flores was a lil hot about it or whatnot?

Thought I also read something along those lines also...

4 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Well I guess I would question why he signed that contract then.  

Exactly.   What we have to believe is that Watson was enthused enough about the Texans ownership and leadership on Sept 5, 2020 that he signed a long term extension, and only decided there were deal-breaking problems in January.  🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Its fairly similar here.  Might be state dependent but sexual assault is any form of unwanted sexual contact like fondling, touching, and can include rape.  Rape is unwanted penetration.

Yes, they vary widely from state to state

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’ve heard this rumor but I don’t think it’s ever been corroborated or reported by a reliable source.  It seems like complete conjecture

2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I’ve heard this rumor but I don’t think it’s ever been corroborated or reported by a reliable source.  It seems like complete conjecture

The podcast was the Buffalo rumblings with Joe Miller from Wednesday. He seemed to have corroborated it fwiw. 

4 hours ago, JohnNord said:

That definitely would’ve been the better approach.  The problem is most of the press knows that Flores probably has the biggest say in football decision despite his title. 

How does the press know that Flores has the biggest say in football decisions, when it's rumored that Flores wanted Herbert over Tua and wanted to stay with Fitz instead of pulling him to start tua?

Personally I think Flores needs to channel a bit more Belicheck there.  "I already addressed that question - I won't discuss rumors.  Any questions about Buffalo?" and then just keep reiterating "I'm here to discuss Sunday's game.  Any questions about Sunday's game?"

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Exactly.   What we have to believe is that Watson was enthused enough about the Texans ownership and leadership on Sept 5, 2020 that he signed a long term extension, and only decided there were deal-breaking problems in January.  🤷‍♂️

Yes, they vary widely from state to state

It’s a good point.  I don’t think he realized how bad Houston was going to suck in 2020.   After suffering through a 4-12 season, he thought he could force a trade and it really backfired on him

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

The podcast was the Buffalo rumblings with Joe Miller from Wednesday. He seemed to have corroborated it fwiw. 

I would hardly call Joe Miller a reliable source.  He’s a local content creator - not even a journalist who has never broken any news.  Like I said, it’s rumors that swirl around message board.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How does the press know that Flores has the biggest say in football decisions, when it's rumored that Flores wanted Herbert over Tua and wanted to stay with Fitz instead of pulling him to start tua?

Personally I think Flores needs to channel a bit more Belicheck there.  "I already addressed that question - I won't discuss rumors.  Any questions about Buffalo?" and then just keep reiterating "I'm here to discuss Sunday's game.  Any questions about Sunday's game?"

I would trust this guy over Joe Miller.  No reputable source has ever reported the rumor that Flores wanted Herbert. 

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

can you not see that the handling of this situation is a terrible look for Flores as a leader?

It was a joke given Tua’s use of the double negative earlier in the week. Perhaps you missed that. 

20 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

It’s a good point.  I don’t think he realized how bad Houston was going to suck in 2020.   After suffering through a 4-12 season, he thought he could force a trade and it really backfired on him

I would hardly call Joe Miller a reliable source.  He’s a local content creator - not even a journalist who has never broken any news.  Like I said, it’s rumors that swirl around message board.

I would trust this guy over Joe Miller.  No reputable source has ever reported the rumor that Flores wanted Herbert. 

So they all wanted Tua?

Edited by YoloinOhio

25 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

"Senior NFL Writer for Outkick"? 

Help me understand why he's "da man" for you on Dolphins coverage.

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Actually Armando covered the Dolphins for local newspapers for years and is the primary source WGR reaches out to for Dolphins news.

He is highly respected for his knowledge and sources within the organization and for several years is the top guy people get info from.

He was the Dolphins version of Mary Cabot in Cleveland, but this last year he left the paper to take on a broader role, but I think he has some disdain for Flores at this point.

I think Flores has rubbed a lot of the Miami media the wrong way and now when things are not so smooth - the reporters are like vultures circling a dead carcass.

1 hour ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah that sounds about like what I remember reading. Also do you recall anything in regards to something about Flores input throughout that draft was "ignored" and supposedly Flores was a lil hot about it or whatnot?

Thought I also read something along those lines also...

What I don't understand is how the owner would then bail on his guy after only 1 year essentially acknowledging he was wrong.  

No I don't think I believe this story.  And if you're the coach and GM why do you let that happen to your career?  

They may not have been 100% on Tua like the owner was.  But I'm betting they were 90%  

Edited by Big Blitz

49 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

From the Miami Herald - his Bio before he left in August of this year:

“Armando Salguero

Armando Salguero has covered the Miami Dolphins and the NFL since 1990, so longer than many players on the current roster have been alive and since many coaches on the team were in middle school. He was a 2016 APSE Top 3 columnist nationwide. He is one of 48 Pro Football Hall of Fame voters. He is an Associated Press All-Pro and awards voter. He’s covered Dolphins games in London, Berlin, Mexico City and Tokyo. He has covered 25 Super Bowls, the NBA Finals, and the Olympics.”

Not that he know everything, but he is “the man” for Dolphins Coverage and has been for the last decade or so.

Again does not mean he was right - just some credentials to ponder.

14 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

What I don't understand is how the owner would then bail on his guy after only 1 year essentially acknowledging he was wrong.  

No I don't think I believe this story.  And if you're the coach and GM why do you let that happen to your career?  

They may not have been 100% on Tua like the owner was.  But I'm betting they were 90%  

Who knows really....In any event I'm perfectly happy with  these results those 3 decision makers have/are producing. lol

30 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Actually Armando covered the Dolphins for local newspapers for years and is the primary source WGR reaches out to for Dolphins news.

He is highly respected for his knowledge and sources within the organization and for several years is the top guy people get info from.

He was the Dolphins version of Mary Cabot in Cleveland, but this last year he left the paper to take on a broader role, but I think he has some disdain for Flores at this point.

I think Flores has rubbed a lot of the Miami media the wrong way and now when things are not so smooth - the reporters are like vultures circling a dead carcass.

That would explain why that interview clip gave several of us Whaley "Privy" interview flashbacks.

Fair that Armando is highly respected and experienced and has sources, but if he's at "outs" with Flores, is he a good source there?

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That would explain why that interview clip gave several of us Whaley "Privy" interview flashbacks.

Fair that Armando is highly respected and experienced and has sources, but if he's at "outs" with Flores, is he a good source there?

As I said - I can’t say and won’t speculate.  

He has been considered the best source for the team in the past for years.  I am not sure that changes just because the coach/team is starting to fall apart.

I'd take Salguero's word over anyone else. 

As for Flores, he's in a no-win situation.  Of course he wants Watson but can't say anything.  And I think he's a dead man walking.  The team is worse than the one he inherited, which shouldn't happen after 3 seasons and all the good picks and money they've had.

Just now, Doc said:

I'd take Salguero's word over anyone else. 

As for Flores, he's in a no-win situation.  Of course he wants Watson but can't say anything.  And I think he's a dead man walking.  The team is worse than the one he inherited, which shouldn't happen after 3 seasons and all the good picks and money they've had.

I agree Flores is in a tough spot with the media, but I think the right move there is to "cowboy up".  Stand tall, smile, look them in the eye, call the reporters by name. 

Say something like "I am the head coach.  I'm here to answer your questions about our next football game in Buffalo this Sunday.  I can have no comment on player personnel matters.  We're playing the Bills in Buffalo in 2 days, I'll be happy to take questions about that."  and then just broken-record variants of the last sentence. 

It's really his demeanor, more than anything, which doesn't play well - the defensive posture clutching the edges of the podium, the hat shading his eyes, his eyes looking off to the side, his shoulders slumping. 

• Like (+1) 3