Houston and Miami could have Deshaun Watson deal (update - no deal prior to trade deadline)

YoloinOhio

11 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

The AFC is going to be insane for years. 

If Aaron Rodgers wants a better legacy now is the time to start piling up those Super Bowls. He's crazy if he tries to get to Pittsburgh, as was suggested. 

Doubtful it happens...Ross will only sign off if 

A) Watson settles his legal cases 

B) The NFL gives him an answer as to the number of games he will be suspended 

Neither are going to happen by the Tuesday deadline

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Is this English?

It’s what happens to your synapses when you get introduced the planet to many times by a D lineman…

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Is this English?

Saying it really slowly and yet somewhat quiet with not a single tiny bit of emotion on your face would be considered a "kiko" like quote lol. Dudes facial expression looked as if at any given moment he was going to cut your face off with precision and wear it as a mask during interviews

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Doubtful it happens...Ross will only sign off if 

A) Watson settles his legal cases 

B) The NFL gives him an answer as to the number of games he will be suspended 

Neither are going to happen by the Tuesday deadline

Even if he settles his civil cases, which could lead to some of the criminal cases being dropped, my understanding is that 2 of the 10 criminal cases are not part of the civil suit and therefore cannot be just be “settled.” So if Miami’s stipulation is the legal issues need resolved in order for the trade to occur, it won’t happen until sometime in the off-season at the earliest. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Even if he settles his civil cases, which could lead to some of the criminal cases being dropped, my understanding is that 2 of the 10 criminal cases are not part of the civil suit and therefore cannot be just be “settled.” So if Miami’s stipulation is the legal issues need resolved in order for the trade to occur, it won’t happen until sometime in the off-season at the earliest. 

And actually the criminal investigations are more important. The civil complaints, even if some of them were to be upheld in a trial, will only lead to a suspension. If criminal charges were brought and he was found guilty in a criminal trial he won't pay in the league again. I suspect that is what Miami want closure on. We have no idea what the timetable for that is. The criminal investigation a decision whether or not to prosecute will come when it comes. 

9 minutes ago, Gambit said:

I'm honestly surprised the Panthers aren't going after him. 

Heard yesterday that Watson had only waived his NTC for Miami which I found curious given that he went to Clemson just down the road from Charlotte. Given his current legal situation it makes me wonder if there are some things in Charlotte he'd rather not get that close to.

Also, Charlotte tends to be a bit more religious than most places and I don't think his current situation would sit well with a number of people there. 

11 minutes ago, Gambit said:

I'm honestly surprised the Panthers aren't going after him. 

Panthers don’t have much ammo or cap is my understanding. They have traded almost all their picks away. They’d have to include a blue chipper like Burns imo. Houston might have to take Darnold which they may or may not want since I think sams deal is guaranteed over 20 million next season. They have to extend Burns and DJ Moore possibly as well as their deals are coming up. 

So here's a question from a different perspective (I should probably start another thread, but I can't stomach Yet Another Watson Thread clogging up the board):

Suppose Ross waives a fairy wand and all Watson's legal troubles vanish like Dust in the Wind.

Watson gets traded to Miami

====> Is it a given he's the same blue-chip, top-of-the-league QB that he was in 2019 and 2020 in Houston?

Assume his skill level is unimpaired (a big assumption since I think there's some "use it or lose it" in field vision and decision making)

What's on my mind is the ever-elusive "locker room leadership" intangible.

Over and over we hear that the guys play harder for Josh because they know he will put it all on the line, put it all out there to win for the team; he won't make "career decisions" and hold back. 

Watson has just pulled the ultimate "career decision" of quitting on his teammates and holding back to get what he wants (out of Houston).  Will that automagically be washed away on the first brilliant downfield scoring drive saved by a scramble and a top-of-the-league deep pass? 

Or will it linger in the back of his new teammates minds, like the stench of a dead woodchuck under the porch "He quit on his Houston peeps, will he quit on us?"

• Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So here's a question from a different perspective (I should probably start another thread, but I can't stomach Yet Another Watson Thread clogging up the board):

Suppose Ross waives a fairy wand and all Watson's legal troubles vanish like Dust in the Wind.

Watson gets traded to Miami

====> Is it a given he's the same blue-chip, top-of-the-league QB that he was in 2019 and 2020 in Houston?

Assume his skill level is unimpaired (a big assumption since I think there's some "use it or lose it" in field vision and decision making)

What's on my mind is the ever-elusive "locker room leadership" intangible.

Over and over we hear that the guys play harder for Josh because they know he will put it all on the line, put it all out there to win for the team; he won't make "career decisions" and hold back. 

Watson has just pulled the ultimate "career decision" of quitting on his teammates and holding back to get what he wants (out of Houston).  Will that automagically be washed away on the first brilliant downfield scoring drive saved by a scramble and a top-of-the-league deep pass? 

Or will it linger in the back of his new teammates minds, like the stench of a dead woodchuck under the porch "He quit on his Houston peeps, will he quit on us?"

I mean ignoring the whole elephant in the room of the allegations I think it'd wouldn't matter. Franchise QBs when they're drafted kind of have this whole thing where they're expected to play for the team that drafts them as long as the team still wants them as the franchise QB, but other players are free to want a change of scenery for money or wanting to be on a contender. I just don't think teammates would hold that specifically against him especially with how big a train wreck Houston is.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean ignoring the whole elephant in the room of the allegations I think it'd wouldn't matter. Franchise QBs when they're drafted kind of have this whole thing where they're expected to play for the team that drafts them as long as the team still wants them as the franchise QB, but other players are free to want a change of scenery for money or wanting to be on a contender. I just don't think teammates would hold that specifically against him especially with how big a train wreck Houston is.

Well, Yes But....Let's not overlook Hopkins part in that.

He signed a huge contract extension on Sept 5, 2020 ....after there were plenty of "Trainwreckage Ahead" signs, 5 months AFTER the Deandre Hopkins trade

It's really simple if you want a change of scenery .... just DON'T SIGN THAT CONTRACT, then he'd be a FA after this season and could go where he wants.

(Yeah, there's the franchise tag etc but there are counters to that too).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Houston and Miami could have Deshaun Watson deal (update - unlikely prior to trade deadline 11/2)
24 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Dolphins have a chance to get a top 10 pick in the draft via SF.   I would take my chances then with a rookie QB and trade Tua.   And likely a new HC.

The Cardinals took their lumps and it is working out for them although they had the #1 pick. 

I don’t think there are any QBs in the upcoming draft - better than Tua or worth that pick.

Some guys will get pushed up, but that does not mean they are worth it.

• Agree 1