Houston and Miami could have Deshaun Watson deal (update - no deal prior to trade deadline)

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So here's a question from a different perspective (I should probably start another thread, but I can't stomach Yet Another Watson Thread clogging up the board):

Suppose Ross waives a fairy wand and all Watson's legal troubles vanish like Dust in the Wind.

Watson gets traded to Miami

====> Is it a given he's the same blue-chip, top-of-the-league QB that he was in 2019 and 2020 in Houston?

Assume his skill level is unimpaired (a big assumption since I think there's some "use it or lose it" in field vision and decision making)

What's on my mind is the ever-elusive "locker room leadership" intangible.

Over and over we hear that the guys play harder for Josh because they know he will put it all on the line, put it all out there to win for the team; he won't make "career decisions" and hold back. 

Watson has just pulled the ultimate "career decision" of quitting on his teammates and holding back to get what he wants (out of Houston).  Will that automagically be washed away on the first brilliant downfield scoring drive saved by a scramble and a top-of-the-league deep pass? 

Or will it linger in the back of his new teammates minds, like the stench of a dead woodchuck under the porch "He quit on his Houston peeps, will he quit on us?"

Winning cures everything, and talent makes this whole league overlook things like this. Players compartmentalize pretty well imo. If you've been catching balls from Brissett or Tua, or blocking for him, and you show up to practice day 1 and see throws that make your jaw drop... I just can't picture a football guy not getting swept up in the excitement... and thats ignoring his potential to make you look good and stack up a fat contract. 

Is he going to be popular in a team setting, locker room, meetings, yes for sure. They're PROFESSIONAL football players. 

Do I think he's getting invited to cook outs? Likely no, even if the player can overlook it, how well is that going to go over with the wife's on the team?

It's sad on any level what sexual impulses do to people, on any level. Especially at this extreme, but I think every guy has let their drive cause them to make decisions they normally wouldn't when kitty's involved. Our over sexualized culture has done so much damage. Scares me as a father /rant

So I guess I want to ask in a polite diligent way. The rumors when Watson first wanted to be traded, before the allegations, was two fold. First he didn’t trust the Texans to build a team around him after shipping away Hopkins, Bill O’Brian being a tool etc. The 2nd rumor was that Watson wanted to go specifically to the Dolphins because I believe that they are the only team in the NFL that has an African American Head Coach/GM combo. 

If the Dolphins go up in flames and Grier and/or Flores is fired, is that still going to be Watsons preferred destination? 

12 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

So I guess I want to ask in a polite diligent way. The rumors when Watson first wanted to be traded, before the allegations, was two fold. First he didn’t trust the Texans to build a team around him after shipping away Hopkins, Bill O’Brian being a tool etc. The 2nd rumor was that Watson wanted to go specifically to the Dolphins because I believe that they are the only team in the NFL that has an African American Head Coach/GM combo. 

If the Dolphins go up in flames and Grier and/or Flores is fired, is that still going to be Watsons preferred destination? 

Honestly looking back I think all that was a bunch of crap and he was trying to get out of Houston because of these now brought up allegations. Maybe he had an inkling that someone was going to complain and maybe he hope if he went away so would these women. 

Dude is a moron. I hope he never takes another snap in the NFL

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The report is that it is unlikely to take place prior to the trade deadline due to the stipulations put forth by Miami 

Miami needs to fire everyone.  They let a trade offer go public with the stipulation that the guy with 22 rape allegations somehow clear up his leagl trouble in one week.  Meanwhile their second year QB has to field questions about his feelings.  Complete s show.

• Agree 2

37 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Miami needs to fire everyone.  They let a trade offer go public with the stipulation that the guy with 22 rape allegations somehow clear up his leagl trouble in one week.  Meanwhile their second year QB has to field questions about his feelings.  Complete s show.

They eventually will fire everyone. But the owner will remain and he is a huge problem and the main reason that franchise has been a dumpster fire for 20-25 years now. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

It is not 22 rape allegations to be clear. It is 22 civil suits containing accusations of sexual misconduct, two of which allege sexual assault - those being coercive behaviour to induce oral sex. The allegations are mostly about inappropriate sexual touching and indecent exposure. Not that I am in any way trying to suggest those are not in themselves serious allegations, they are. But they are not rape allegations.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, DJB said:

Honestly looking back I think all that was a bunch of crap and he was trying to get out of Houston because of these now brought up allegations. Maybe he had an inkling that someone was going to complain and maybe he hope if he went away so would these women. 

Dude is a moron. I hope he never takes another snap in the NFL

I have actually had this same thought and had it since I first heard about the allegations.  The timing of everything just fits this.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is not 22 rape allegations to be clear. It is 22 civil suits containing accusations of sexual misconduct, two of which allege sexual assault - those being coercive behaviour to induce oral sex. The allegations are mostly about inappropriate sexual touching and indecent exposure. Not that I am in any way trying to suggest those are not in themselves serious allegations, they are. But they are not rape allegations.

I dunno about UK law, but just a little note that in Texas, "Sexual assault" is the legal term for rape.

https://www.findlaw.com/state/texas-law/texas-sexual-assault-laws.html/

Sexual assault, commonly known as rape, occurs when a defendant -- intentionally and knowingly -- commits any of a number of prohibited sexual activities listed under Texas' sexual assault law without the victim's consent.

Correct that 20 of the 22 civil suits do not allege sexual assault (rape).  The NY Times did a pretty good summary if anyone still cares.

14 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I think it was also that Watson just flat out hates the Texans owner, president, GM, etc. Beyond just the moves they make, he hates them as people. And he likely also likes the idea of living in Miami.

It has gone from "Miami is just a QB away" to "Tua is one of the only reasons they have a chance in games right now" though which you'd think would give him some pause (but it doesn't sound like it has).

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I dunno about UK law, but just a little note that in Texas, "Sexual assault" is the legal term for rape.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://www.findlaw.com/state/texas-law/texas-sexual-assault-laws.html/

Correct that 20 of the 22 civil suits do not allege sexual assault (rape).  The NY Times did a pretty good summary if anyone still cares.

So in the UK serious sexual assault and rape are different. In the 2 particular allegations with Watson that reach that bar I suspect they would be tried as sexual assault based on the description of "coercion" rather than as rape. In the UK manipulating someone into sexual activity is usually sexual assault and forced sexual activity is rape. Hard to know without more detail but certainly possible they would be prosecuted as rape. Interesting to know that they two terms are used interchangeably in Texas. Of course, these remain at this stage civil claims and in the UK the technical term for such a claim would be a "trespass against the person." No idea if that makes a difference in Texan law. 

3 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

By what margin do the Bills need to win by for the Dolphins to panic and pay the Texans a kings ransom?  21?  I think 35 to 14 does it.  

At this point 1-6 it doesn't matter considering that the Dolphins season has already......

200.gif

7 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

By what margin do the Bills need to win by for the Dolphins to panic and pay the Texans a kings ransom?  21?  I think 35 to 14 does it.  

This week doesn’t matter. It’s next week when the Texans go to Miami.