Chiefs Chant Before Game

cv05

42 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yeah but Dan Schneider's not the original owner... You can't blame him for somebody else's faults a long time ago

Buffalo Bill Cody was a civil war  scout and fought in the Indian wars , killed native Americans.. he scalped a chief... The Buffalo Bills don't honor Bill Cody

It's just our name 

You better keep it down before someone finds this information out and we are changed to the western NY football team. 

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Just in Atlanta said:

To be honest, until last night, I actually thought that chant belonged to the Atlanta Braves. 

As a little kid, I went to a lot of Rangers games and thought "Let's go Rangers" da da da da da was unique too until I noticed that just about every team does that -- still. 

Then I learned "My Country Tis of Thee" is the exact same melody as "God Save the Queen" and our national anthem has the same melody as a British drinking song. 

Our own Bills fight song — whose time has long past IMO — is the ripped-off melody of the famous Isley Bros song. 

I mean face it, we humans are not nearly as clever as we think we are, when you travel from east to west in America the town names repeat for three thousand miles…. Really, Albany New York, Albany California…, 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

You better keep it down before someone finds this information out and we are changed to the western NY football team. 

It's coming

I just have a history degree so I know about Bill Cody

Once people find out he fought in the Indian wars they're going to come for us too.. he literally scalped a chief 

And none of that means that the Buffalo Bills should have their name changed

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

It's coming

Once people found out he fought in the Indian wars they're going to come for us too

im not a fan of the name Bills.  

23 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Indian is a name that was thrust on millions of people after some dude thought the caribbean was India and it stuck for hundreds of years.  Pretty effing ignorant to refer to all of the indigenous peoples of what would become north and south america as Indians.  

Irish is literally the preferred nomenclature of citizens of the country of ireland.  There is nothing remotely controversial or offensive about the term Irish.  

This is an exceedingly poor comparison.  

That is an excellent point I didn't consider.

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

That's why I just say natives.. Indian really is the most offensive term

Because there's actual Indians living in India

So could the Cleveland Baseball team have salvaged the name "Indians" if they changed mascots to a yogi?

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It's coming

Once people find out he fought in the Indian wars they're going to come for us too.. he literally scalped a chief 

Honestly at this point we're more buffalos(or bison to be more accurate) than Wild Bill it'd just be weird to be the Buffalo Buffalos.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It's coming

My wife was wondering why they're called the "Bills" last night. I explained Buffalo Bill Cody. It's easily one of the weirdest sports team names. Like naming a team the "Jeffs"

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I just can't believe no one has played the "are redskin potatoes racist?!?!" card yet.   Been waiting for that one.  

I haven't heard any potatoes complain about it but I'm sure there are plenty of Karens advocating for them.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

When one appropriates another race's culture and misinterprets its rituals to the point where many members of the race are offended, it's a pretty good sign that one thinks of that race as inferior.

The Seminole tribe helped create the FSU chant, chop and mascot design. The fact that others comment on it without any clue of it's origin is pretty sad.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

My wife was wondering why they're called the "Bills" last night. I explained Buffalo Bill Cody. It's easily one of the weirdest sports team names. Like naming a team the "Jeffs"

Buffalo Bison would actually work but that's a local minor league baseball team right?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.