Chiefs Chant Before Game

cv05

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

So if you buy a minor league team from some old bigot that he named the Wichita Lazy Mexicans, in your opinion, the name isn't offensive unless you're an unabashed racist yourself?  How does that make sense?  

The term lazy Mexicans has no positive or historical connotation 

Native tribes painted their face with red ochre for thousands of years.. for battle and ceremony and referenced it themselves 

I'm not saying this is the story of the Washington Redskins.. but if somebody made that team today.. and said I want to honor natives and their prideful culture and warriors..  

I don't think the name would be racist  .. as opposed to naming it out of spite or belittling 

Buffalo Bill Cody scalped a native chief.. the bills are named after a man who killed native Americans

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Well, one might argue the term Indian is a bit racist, but actually  just probably more on the stupid side. But it isn't as clearly racist as "Redskin", IMO. I'd agree Braves isn't in the same league at all. Then again, I'm not a native American. I think if you want to know if a term is offensive to a group, you ask the people in those groups. 

Still, I have to wonder why, a group of European Americans would chose to use a name completely removed from their culture/heritage. I'm guessing there were/are far more Irish people involved with Notre Dame sports than their Native Americans on any of the teams which borrow from their culture. I'm guessing a team called the Cowboys, from Texas, Oklahoma, etc, probably has had more than a few actual cowboys involved in their organization. Plus I don't think cowboys find the term Cowboy even remotely offensive.

Finally, one can recognize something as likely  "offense" without taking offense to it. 

"Redskins" is worse as something that has been used as a slur, all of these others have the problem of being cultural appropriation.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I just mean it's an example of using a group of people as a mascot. I'm not offended. I'm not suggesting anyone is. Cleveland dropped the Indians because of cartoonish Chief Wahoo. But is "Indians" as a team name inherently racist? Many think so. I'm not so sure.

Indian is a name that was thrust on millions of people after some dude thought the caribbean was India and it stuck for hundreds of years.  Pretty effing ignorant to refer to all of the indigenous peoples of what would become north and south america as Indians.  

Irish is literally the preferred nomenclature of citizens of the country of ireland.  There is nothing remotely controversial or offensive about the term Irish.  

This is an exceedingly poor comparison.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m an FSU fan and I love Bill Burr as well. I like the chop when it’s Florida State obviously as a Bills and Mets fan I hate it with the Chiefs and Braves(yes ik hypothetical).

I know the topic of it being racist is a thing in here and I don’t know the history of the Chiefs or Braves but the Seminole tribe of Florida and FSU have a great relationship and they have been super supportive of Florida State keeping the Seminole name and having Chief Osceola as their mascot. This is part of the reason why Florida State has never been asked to change anything that may be considered insensitive in this day and age 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He Removed the name after years of pressure... Let's be real he did not want to change it

He stated a hundred times I will never change the name.. he folded because pressure  

Distancing yourself from a racist owner and actually disliking the name are completely different I think.. Schneider always wanted to keep the name he just fell to pressure

Whatever Schneider did or didn't do has nothing to do with the fact that the team was named by a white supremacist whose intentions can only be viewed as sinister based on his racist life.  Knowing the founder's history of hatred, Schneider should have folded earlier.  Since the team was named by a bigot who in today's world would be driven out of ther league just like Sterling was forced to leave the NBA, the original intent has to be questioned.  A general rule is err on the side of caution.  That's what was done in the case of removing a name created by a known racist.  

• Like (+1) 1

Since when is cultural appropriation a bad thing?  I thought this was the great melting pot where we pick the best of everyone who is here. 

It's like when the Spanish brought horses to the new world.  The natives had never seen such a thing.  A few hundred years later and the natives become a horse culture.  

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Indian is a name that was thrust on millions of people after some dude thought the caribbean was India and it stuck for hundreds of years.  Pretty effing ignorant to refer to all of the indigenous peoples of what would become north and south america as Indians.  

Irish is literally the preferred nomenclature of citizens of the country of ireland.  There is nothing remotely controversial or offensive about the term Irish.  

Change your name and avatar before you spout one more word of this garbage.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

You are wrong my friend… This is pretty offensive IMHO. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre_Dame_Leprechaun

“The Fighting Irish logo features a side view of The Leprechaun with his fists up, ready to battle anyone that comes his way. He was once depicted with a bottle of whiskey by his foot, but alcohol awareness led to its being dropped.”

1200px-Notre_Dame_Leprechaun_logo.svg.pn

Edited by wppete
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Demongyz said:

Since when is cultural appropriation a bad thing?  I thought this was the great melting pot where we pick the best of everyone who is here. 

It's like when the Spanish brought horses to the new world.  The natives had never seen such a thing.  A few hundred years later and the natives become a horse culture.  

#CancelCulture

8 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Indian is probably worse but also even Native American is essentially what people that were already at a place that we're now naming ourselves. Not saying Native Americans is awful just an interesting thing to note.

5 minutes ago, Demongyz said:

Probably after the massacre of their people and theft of their land?

Edited by Warcodered

Just now, Jauronimo said:

And you see no irony in your impassioned defense of cultural appropriation while demanding I change my avatar.  Welcome to the club.

No, I was bringing it to your attention that you are the pot calling the kettle black.  I thought you could see that.

Let's spell it out.  If you believe what you espouse, you should follow your convictions. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Who is the Shout Song offensive to and for what reasons?

It's offensive to the teams the Bills are whupping because when they play the Bills in Buffalo, they keep getting reminded that they're getting a beatdown every time the song is played after the Bills score.  

Let's keep offending the opponents all the way through the Super Bowl.  

I knew the phrase "cancel culture" would appear eventually. The phrase itself was coined by people who oppose gays, equal rights for women, immigrants, and any religion other than their own. Who is canceling whom?

(Oh, and ... in before the lock.)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

32 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I've been thinking about this. People get so hung up on "cultural appropriation." I don't think it's that pernicious. "Redskins" is racist and a term of derision. "Indians" is inappropriate but how different is it from "Irish" or "Canucks?" "Chiefs" and "Braves" strikes me no different than "Generals" or "Warriors." As long as it's done with honor and respect.

"Indians" is absolutely. 

Indians are from India.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WhoTom said:

I knew the phrase "cancel culture" would appear eventually. The phrase itself was coined by people who oppose gays, equal rights for women, immigrants, and any religion other than their own. Who is canceling whom?

(Oh, and ... in before the lock.)

Completely idiotic!!!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Demongyz said:

No, I was bringing it to your attention that you are the pot calling the kettle black.  I thought you could see that.

Let's spell it out.  If you believe what you espouse, you should follow your convictions. 

I am laying out the history and differences for people who think the term Irish is equivalent to Indian or Redskin.  If you think my pic of the gutless Dick Jauron juxtaposed as fabled Apache warrior Geronimo is offensive and carries the same weight as the term Redskin or Indian, then I will disagree. Insensitive, perhaps (mostly to Dick Jauron) but I don't really care.  I'm not an activist. 

35 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I've been thinking about this. People get so hung up on "cultural appropriation." I don't think it's that pernicious. "Redskins" is racist and a term of derision. "Indians" is inappropriate but how different is it from "Irish" or "Canucks?" "Chiefs" and "Braves" strikes me no different than "Generals" or "Warriors." As long as it's done with honor and respect.

Honor and respect isn't something very common in this country lately. Look at school board meetings for example.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.