Chiefs Chant Before Game

cv05

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Buffalo Bill Cody was a civil war  scout and fought in the Indian wars , killed native Americans.. he scalped a chief... The Buffalo Bills don't honor Bill Cody

It's just our name 

we‘re probably next.  Well, after the Chiefs.

5 hours ago, wppete said:

I appreciate your comment. I see it more of honoring the culture. I wonder can we say the same about Michigan State Spartans or the USC Trojans?  Would Greek people be offended? I don’t think so, it’s honoring their culture. IMHO. 

You realize one culture is mythological, one existed almost 3,000 years ago, and one is very real and very present. We can ask the latter how they feel about it now and consider their opinion.

2 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

You realize one culture is mythological, one existed almost 3,000 years ago, and one is very real and very present. We can ask the latter how they feel about it now and consider their opinion.

The city of Troy and the Trojan wars are mainly accepted archaeological facts now.. it's not just considered mythology 

24 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

Have you been to Greece? There is a place today called Sparta and there descendants live their and call themselves Spartans. My family is from there I would know. And we speak the same language. I immigrated to America as a child…. But thanks for the history lesson. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparta,_Laconia

Edited by wppete

20 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

and to your point about Troy being a mythological place that has been disproven long ago. 

https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/849/

2 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

Ok let’s ask Agamemnon if he’s offended.

Point is your chosen comparison lacks relevance.

That wasn't my comparison

I'm just reading all the replies and saw you called them mythological lol 

So I just commented on that

2 minutes ago, wppete said:

Have you been to Greece? There is a place today called Sparta and their descendants live their and call themselves Spartans. My family is from there I would know. And we speak the same language. I immigrated to America as a child…. But thanks for the history lesson. 

You expect me to believe a commenter on this board, on this topic, is from a small Greek town of 35,000 people?

Utica is 2x as big. How many Uticans we got on here now?

3 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

You expect me to believe a commenter on this board, on this topic, is from a small Greek town of 35,000 people?

Utica is 2x as big. How many Uticans we got on here now?

Wow. You should come to New York City and You will find many immigrants from Sparta or Sparti. 

Edited by wppete

7 minutes ago, wppete said:

Wow. You should come to New York City and You will find many immigrants from Sparta or Sparti. 

Yea the pizza place your looking for is on 301st street. 

Just make sure you don't turn down 300 street by accident.

awoo-awoo-300.gif

🤣

Edited by The Wiz
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Yea the pizza place your looking for is on 301st street. 

Just make sure you don't turn down 300 street by accident.

awoo-awoo-300.gif

🤣

That would be awesome! But it’s Astoria, Queens. Come you would have a fun time! Too many NY Giants fans though that’s the problem. 

4 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Stupid yeah! 

Everything is racist these days. Maybe is time for the PPP move. Who really cares. Cant we just be kind to one another and have a little fun and not get so butthurt? 

Some things always were racist or offensive but they existed just the same and were effectively normalized over the years because no one gave a damn what the aggrieved thought. Generations of use later and things like the Redskins and Chief Wahoo were effectively legitimized.  Every decade or so the topic has been re-litigated in public forums.  Now we have far less people participating in this discourse who will argue until they're blue in the face that Aunt Jemima, Frito Bandito, and Chief Wahoo are a sacred part of this nation's history and simply cannot be changed.  

I know many participants in this thread think everything was just peachy until woke outside agitators started calling everything raysis in the twenty aught tens but the fact is this issue with Redskins is well documented back in the 1970s.  It 50 years to gain any real traction.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Some things always were racist or offensive but they existed just the same and were effectively normalized over the years because no one gave a damn what the aggrieved thought. Generations of use later and things like the Redskins and Chief Wahoo were effectively legitimized.  Every decade or so the topic has been re-litigated in public forums.  Now we have far less people participating in this discourse who will argue until they're blue in the face that Aunt Jemima, Frito Bandito, and Chief Wahoo are a sacred part of this nation's history and simply cannot be changed.  

Great……..now I want pancakes. 

32 minutes ago, Augie said:

Great……..now I want pancakes. 

You better put real maple syrup on your pancakes

2 hours ago, Best Williams Available said:

Animated GIF

7 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I know many participants in this thread think everything was just peachy until woke outside agitators started calling everything raysis in the twenty aught tens but the fact is this issue with Redskins is well documented back in the 1970s.  It 50 years to gain any real traction.

Very well said my friend. I wont go any further because the goal within this forum is to keep politics out- Go Bills.

14 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I know plenty of native Americans who liked the name Washington Redskins because they thought it honored them .. and they were glad to be represented in the NFL

Not to mention that many natives actually painted their faces red with ocher for a thousand years.. it's historical

But Cancel culture is coming for everything 

If Dan Schneider was out bashing native Americans week in and week out it would be distasteful..but he's always been respectful about it and said it's about pride 

I don't think there's anything nefarious with the Seminole war chant.. or the Chiefs tomahawk chop

It's just something stupid to get the fans in the game.. I really don't think there's anything nefarious behind

Okie here.... both my girls are on the Chickasaw Nation roles. Well over half the people in this state have Native American blood. 

I have yet to meet someone who finds any "Indian" mascot offensive. In fact, nearly all HS teams here have some mascot with Indian ties in just my small area in Texoma:

Tishomingo Indians (where I live, home of Blake Shelton)

Kingston Redskins

Plainview Indians (where my girls attended, home of Justin Blackmon) 

Marietta Indians

Wynnewood Savages 

Fairview Apaches

Shawnee Braves

etc

etc

etc

etc

etc

Fwiw, several family members of the late Aunt Jemima model are on record as being opposed to the branding change to Pearl Mill.  Quaker, naturally, didn’t consult the family before the change, however Quaker are opposed to paying alleged back royalties.  Funny how that works.

16 hours ago, Augie said:

Yeah, but when you put the two together…….

…….you get something really stupid! 

We’ve been to some FSU games in Tallahassee. I’m with Bill Burr on this one. It’s like the train horn. The first time isn’t THAT annoying, but after a while it wears my arse out!  Make it STOP! 

Yeah, I hate the train horn. Both obnoxious and stupid at the same timne.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.