Losing to the Steelers was a blessing in disguise

Mikie2times

20 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

If you want to claim to be a contender you beat teams you should. We should have Beat the Steelers. No Silver lining. They laid an egg and let one go. 

No silver lining, but important lessons to be learned so I agree with the OP. 

The boys were brought back down to earth.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

If your expectation ISNT winning an championship every year. Then you need to look at what you want in sports. 

Sanity through balanced expectations. This is a playoff team until they prove otherwise. That's all they're right now. That's all they were last year. Beat KC and I will change my tune. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

We should have won and if we played really well, it wouldn't have been close. It's a little different going from hunter to hunted and the Bills got a taste of it. We will take every team's best shot and Josh will not be given anything easy with how much film teams have on us from last year. I was getting sick of being everybody's trendy pick. If we expect this team to have SB aspirations we will need to be hardened by competition. I would have rather it not been an AFC game, but taking an L in week one, in my mind, will rally this team. Ground them. Make them better. I see it as Hail Murray 2.0. Not at all concerned. 

Pretty good take. I was thinking the same thing. Let's hope between playcalling and O-line adjustments, we can dominate in these next two games.

• Like (+1) 1

Week 1 is the true ‘wildcard weekend,’ so much crazy stuff happens.

Just now, theRalph said:

McDermott is now 3-2 in openers...but the three wins came against the Jets. He doesn't have a strong first game. The SuperBowl XXV Bills started the season with a 30-7 beating at Miami. Fear not.

And those games vs Jets were filled with penalties, sloppiness, and stupid TOs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

I really think last year was our window.....we caught lightning in a bottle and had a real opportunity in 2020.  I'm not counting us out this year but yesterday was a real kick in the face.  On top of that, watching KC and Cle yesterday.....competition is steeeep.

I  think this is just as premature as calling us a Super Bowl team. We are a contender, among several. We are perceived as one of the very best contenders. Whatever the road is will not be easy. That said, I have no doubt we have the ability to be better this year and the competitive environment to help strengthen it.  

Eh, these players talk for two off seasons about how they can’t wait to play in front of the BillsMafia.  and the finally a full house and Pfffft.  Even in 2019 when the stadium was full they played very mediocre at home.  Disappointing. But a full 16 games left to make some noise.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Week 1 is the true ‘wildcard weekend,’ so much crazy stuff happens.

And those games vs Jets were filled with penalties, sloppiness, and stupid TOs.

We really don't look all that sharp in week ones. Don't know what it is. All of them under under McDermott have been fairly sloppy. Just as much as this seems to be the norm, we seem to really come together a few weeks into it. 

8 minutes ago, theRalph said:

McDermott is now 3-2 in openers...but the three wins came against the Jets. He doesn't have a strong first game. The SuperBowl XXV Bills started the season with a 30-7 beating at Miami. Fear not.

Didn't see this, I noticed the same trend with McDermott. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KzooMike said:

I  think this is just as premature as calling us a Super Bowl team. We are a contender, among several. We are perceived as one of the very best contenders. Whatever the road is will not be easy. That said, I have no doubt we have the ability to be better this year and the competitive environment to help strengthen it.  

Sure, we are a contender....But we didn't do anything to stand out among the pack.  I would place 7-8 teams above the Bills right now.  There are some glaring holes that were exposed yesterday.  If we can beat KC in a month, I'll be a believer but until then, I stand by my statement.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Sure, we are a contender....But we didn't do anything to stand out among the pack.  I would place 7-8 teams above the Bills right now.  There are some glaring holes that were exposed yesterday.  If we can beat KC in a month, I'll be a believer but until then, I stand by my statement.

I agree with your statement. I don't see what separates us at this time and saw it marginally last year against higher end competition. I do think other teams perceive us as such because we are all over everybody's front runner list and Allen as a MVP candidate. Teams will be ready to play us this year, that's for sure.  

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

We’ll see… The Bills have some offensive line issues right now that can turn a game(even a season)upside down….. and their offense has been on a downward trend since the Colts game…

Not really sure what to expect after that turd of a game from the offense yesterday.

That exact same line was decent to good in pass protection last year. Dawkins doesn’t look anywhere near 100% yet. I think the staff would love is Spencer Brown had a lightbulb moment and it let them move Williams to RG (not likely to happen in 2021).

• Like (+1) 1

Co-sign.

We looked like a team that was treating the game as a more formal scrimmage.  They hopped on the SB train based on the media building them up all summer and weren't ready for any resistance.

As stark as a wake-up call in sports gets. I fully expect them to come out next week like their season depends on it.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

On the road against Brees and the Saints......Tom Brady's first start with the Bucs.

I really wish people stop making this type of comparison when WE LOST AT HOME, gave up 23 unanswered points and didn't have a chance to win late because we were down 2 scores. Yes Pittsburgh might still be a good to great team but you have to win this game at home if you also fancy yourself the same type of team.

Meanwhile the Chiefs and Bucs showed why they were in the SB last year and came back to win big games at home after trailing at one point in the 2nd half.

Sure this team might rebound in a big way this week and play great the next few weeks given the upcoming schedule but until we play a real team with a real QB again (i.e. KC) it's hard to know who the 2021 Bills really are at this point.

Chiefs lucked out with a dropped punt and Baker made dumb play late. Tampa lucked out too due to bad kicking by Greg the Leg. The truth most NFL games are won or lost by three or four plays. The Bills lost due some bad plays on offense and bad blocking on a punt to a team that made the playoffs last year. I'm upset but not ready to go Chicken Little.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Is this the same reasoning as losing nfc games helps our chances at making playoffs. 

“Losers make excuses, winners win”

I don't see it in such a vacuum. Jordan and the Bulls would not have become the team they were if it weren't for being hardened by the Pistons. Further, when they finally did break through, they lose game 1 at home. MJ's take, didn't bother them. They almost won and played like crap. They went onto to win the next 4. I think some teams need to go through more than others to reach full potential. Not all, but some, and I think it  that is the case for our young Bills team. 

Edited by KzooMike

I think I saw the Bills come down to earth. Even my friend who is a die-hard Steelers fan went in thinking the Bills would blow them out. It didn't happen and our weaknesses were fully exposed for all to see.  

1. OL  They surrendered constant pressure and Never let Josh get into a rhythm. Run blocking was sufficient at times but:

2. Playcalling - left a lot to be desired. The 4-5 WR sets with no RB allowed the Steelers to read pass and T off on a rush. There was nothing to keep the Steelers off-balance. there was no pre-snap motion and everything seemed to be generic.

3. QB - Trying to run an up-tempo wide set was to conducive to Josh's ability and with no RB to chip in to block, Josh had pressure immediately and his timing and rhythm were off. He could never get comfortable and was releasing the ball early most of the time, or releasing it without being set as he was on the run. 

4. Special Teams- the blocked punt was the seal on the coffin. I loved the kickoff return but after McKenzie got banged up, he was less successful. Bass was excellent. Hauk sucked.

5. Wallace -  got picked on. and burned multiple times. He was the weak spot on the D and he was exposed because.

6 DL  Outside of Addison's strip sack, no one got Big Ben off his game and he settled down in the second half and made the throws he needed to win.

7 Coaching  Neither co-ordinator made the second half adjustments needed to take advantage of the matchups on the field. Play-calling was bad and they stuck with plans that were not working. When sh^t hits the fan, you got to be ready to adjust and we did not. So we lost.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

I think I saw the Bills come down to earth. Even my friend who is a die-hard Steelers fan went in thinking the Bills would blow them out. It didn't happen and our weaknesses were fully exposed for all to see.  

1. OL  They surrendered constant pressure and Never let Josh get into a rhythm. Run blocking was sufficient at times but:

2. Playcalling - left a lot to be desired. The 4-5 WR sets with no RB allowed the Steelers to read pass and T off on a rush. There was nothing to keep the Steelers off-balance. there was no pre-snap motion and everything seemed to be generic.

3. QB - Trying to run an up-tempo wide set was to conducive to Josh's ability and with no RB to chip in to block, Josh had pressure immediately and his timing and rhythm were off. He could never get comfortable and was releasing the ball early most of the time, or releasing it without being set as he was on the run. 

4. Special Teams- the blocked punt was the seal on the coffin. I loved the kickoff return but after McKenzie got banged up, he was less successful. Bass was excellent. Hauk sucked.

5. Wallace -  got picked on. and burned multiple times. He was the weak spot on the D and he was exposed because.

6 DL  Outside of Addison's strip sack, no one got Big Ben off his game and he settled down in the second half and made the throws he needed to win.

7 Coaching  Neither co-ordinator made the second half adjustments needed to take advantage of the matchups on the field. Play-calling was bad and they stuck with plans that were not working. When sh^t hits the fan, you got to be ready to adjust and we did not. So we lost.

The first three are related, and it’s difficult to put too much on the oline when the Steelers could just tee off every play. It makes the oline’s job infinitely more difficult. That said, Dawkins likely isn’t recovered from his bout with Covid (he might benefit from a 1-2 weeks off), and our guards aren’t better than average. The later is a cause for concern since we can’t improve the roster mid season without a trade. However, those deficiencies can be masked and/ reduced with excellent playcalling. 

Same goes with Josh’s jitters and early game energy. Starting the game with 11 or 21/12 (not sure what to call Gilliam) personnel with PA and a more balanced play sheet will not only allow Josh to settle in, but will force defenses to play more honestly which should (in theory) make it easier on the guards. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, KzooMike said:

We should have won and if we played really well, it wouldn't have been close. It's a little different going from hunter to hunted and the Bills got a taste of it. We will take every team's best shot and Josh will not be given anything easy with how much film teams have on us from last year. I was getting sick of being everybody's trendy pick. If we expect this team to have SB aspirations we will need to be hardened by competition. I would have rather it not been an AFC game, but taking an L in week one, in my mind, will rally this team. Ground them. Make them better. I see it as Hail Murray 2.0. Not at all concerned. 

Do you think a win would have hurt us?

• Like (+1) 1