Keith Butler threatens Josh Allen's running, we will make him pay

HOUSE

Steve Tasker had an interesting take on Butler's comments.  Essentially, he thought Butler is terrified of the prospect of Josh Allen running when a play breaks down because he is a wild card you can't account for.  His comments represent an effort to try and use pre game comments to lessen the risk of Josh Allen making big plays with his legs.  

4 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Steve Tasker had an interesting take on Butler's comments.  Essentially, he thought Butler is terrified of the prospect of Josh Allen running when a play breaks down because he is a wild card you can't account for.  His comments represent an effort to try and use pre game comments to lessen the risk of Josh Allen making big plays with his legs.  

Except Allen can still make big plays with his feet then get down or get out of bounds.  The plays where Allen goes "Sicko Mode" and starts stiffarming people and running them over are usually bad outcomes for the Bills - face mask penalty for Allen, fumble in which we hope he's ruled down before the ball came out, etc etc.

Where Allen's legs are most to be feared right now is behind the LOS, extending the play

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Anyone tries to injure Josh must be made an example of. All bets are off especially with a piece of excrement who threatens a great player and a great person like Josh. 

Yeah, yeah.  But if the QB makes himself a runner and lowers his shoulder to hit people and make extra yards, trying to gang tackle him is part of the game.

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, yeah.  But if the QB makes himself a runner and lowers his shoulder to hit people and make extra yards, trying to gang tackle him is part of the game.

Listen Hapless, Josh will slide and get down to avoid punishment. I'm talking about low hits, late hits and head shots. Try and hurt our guy and take him out, the O-line will have to do what's necessary. The Steelers should be ready to deal with physicality. 

23 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

It is an element that DC's have to account for and probably would hope to limit. Either way, teams that played us well had their DE's play very disciplined with their rushes prioritizing hemming Allen in the pocket and usually had a LB or S spy and shadow him.

Allen has been smarter about taking what he can and getting out of bounds. If a DC drops a bunch of guys into coverage and there is nothing but green between Allen and the sticks more often than not he will take the easy conversion. Allen's threat to run also pulls guys from coverage having to respect that he may take off when he rolls out.

Makes for a good sound bite, but meh. I don't think it changes anything about the way Allen will approach or play the game.

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

Fool still thinks Josh is a run-first quarterback. Shame on him!

Right, Josh is already at the stage of his career where he’ll run when he needs to, but it’s no longer a vital necessary element of his game. He isn’t Cam Newton in his prime.

31 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Listen Hapless, Josh will slide and get down to avoid punishment. I'm talking about low hits, late hits and head shots. Try and hurt our guy and take him out, the O-line will have to do what's necessary. The Steelers should be ready to deal with physicality. 

OK, but that's not what Keith Butler was suggesting.  He said that if he finishes plays like a running back, we will treat him like a running back.

30 minutes ago, WideNine said:

It is an element that DC's have to account for and probably would hope to limit. Either way, teams that played us well had their DE's play very disciplined with their rushes prioritizing hemming Allen in the pocket and usually had a LB or S spy and shadow him.

Disciplined, sure.

Spy?  Can you give me some examples?

Here's the thing, if you leave a spy on the QB, you're leaving another playmaker uncovered

I haven't seen teams do this to us since early last season.

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, but that's not what Keith Butler was suggesting.  He said that if he finishes plays like a running back, we will treat him like a running back.

Disciplined, sure.

Here's the thing, if you leave a spy on the QB, you're leaving another playmaker uncovered

I think it's the make him pay bit that makes people leery.

Whatever you make of Butler’s comments, they were dumb.  Josh is now a face of the NFL and the league will be out to protect him.  We’re about to enter an era of seeing OUR quarterback get the benefit of the doubt.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Disciplined, sure.

Nothing specific comes to mind as it happens often enough.

Just have seen on a number of occasions where teams that rush 4 will play their MLB or extra S shallow and mirror/spy Allen then close as soon as he leaves the pocket.

Will see if we see some of that from Pittsburgh, as well as the usual corner blitz from the left slot.

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Disciplined, sure.

I don't like defensive coaches talking about hurting QBs before the games. It reminds me of the Greg Williams crap. Play the game and defend the QB runs,don't try and discourage our options with smacktalk.

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

I think it's the make him pay bit that makes people leery.

Eh, the exact words in context aren't that "head hunter" like.

“I hope he does try to finish his runs like a running back. We’ll treat him like a running back. If he wants to be treated like a running back, we’ll do that, too,” Butler said.

Butler added that Allen’s size and physicality reminds him of a young Ben Roethlisberger.

“And you don’t see Ben run as much as you used to, do you?” Butler asked. “That’s an important position. And if you are going to run the ball, that ball attracts a lot of attention in the National Football League. There is usually a price to pay. So we’ll see what happens in the game.”

I actually don't think he's saying much that our coaches wouldn't tell Josh. 

I also think Tasker may have a point.

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think Josh gives a damn what the Steelers DC says

I do think he gives a damn what his coaches and teammates tell him, and that's, "Get down" "Get out of bounds" "Best ability is availability"

He’s going to play his game regardless. Let the cheap talk go.